How was I supposed to know that?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I could find the YT video of the guy trying to cut a log and either the chain was on backwards or it was cue-ball dull, because there was smoke just POURING off that bar and chain and it looked like the log was gonna catch on fire from friction at any second...it was hilarious. I originally saw the video here on A/S but I searched for it on YT and can't find it...
I think I know the one Yer talking about.
It was how to cut a lot of wood and he couldn't make a one pass cut but had to roll it a few times. So many "Stoopids" in one video. Was almost a "CRINGE but had to watch" video.

i always like the customer that throws kid under the bus for breaking it, when we know for certainty that they were the ones from just talking to them
and if you sold the unit and comes in for any problem that is owner care related, will quickly say "you didnt tell me that!"
About three years ago I had a customer bring in a two day old MS 170. He initially brought it into the store on a weekend when I wasn't there and demanded a new saw because this one would not start anymore. The store manager at the time (young female) told the customer that he was going to have to leave it until Monday when the Stihl mechanic can look at it. He berated this poor gal and called her a B**ch among other things and totally went off on her. He demanded a new saw right now!

He eventually left it over the weekend, and when I showed up on Monday, I get the full story from the manager. I look at the saw and it's covered in mud. It's in total hydraulic lock, so I pull the muffler and plug and liquid pours out of the muffler and cylinder. I swipe up a fingertip of the liquid and smell it, it's water, and not just a little bit of water. Seeing the handle covered in mud and the rest of the saw splattered with mud all over it I came to the conclusion that he had to have dropped this saw in a pond or something similar. I call him up and tell him he needs to come in and we need to talk.
He shows up at the shop, but this time instead of a 110# young lady he's facing two grown men both over 6' 3' and one of us (not me, our warehouse guy) had literally "turned 21 in prison serving life without parole"
This visit, he had a completely different demeaner. He was friendly and polite.

I explained to him that this saw had obviously been submerged while running and that is not covered under warranty and is not worth fixing.
He said and I quote "Yea, I think my daughter left in the front yard and the sprinklers came on"
I politely ask him not to insult my intelligence and be man enough to tell the truth without dragging your daughter into the lie.
I told him he owed us $40 diag fee and he was never to speak to our employees, like he spoke to our manager again. He left the saw without paying the $40 and I have never seen him in the shop again. Some customers you just don't need around.

Of all the straight gassed saws I've seen and rebuilt, I have only met two gentlemen who admitted it was their fault that they straight gassed it or mixed the fuel wrong. I shook their hands and thanked them both for their honesty.

Of all the straight gassed saws I've seen and rebuilt, I have only met two gentlemen who admitted it was their fault that they straight gassed it or mixed the fuel wrong. I shook their hands and thanked them both for their honesty.
Admission is usually in the form of "I only made a couple of cuts with straight gas, so it'll be an easy fix right?" This Admission tends to be accompanied by a saw with less than half a tank of gas remaining & about 70psi compression. "A couple of cuts"... just like the "couple of beers" folks tell the officer they've had when they can barely stand

I find it interesting when I'm at a get-together some saws hold more oil outside the tank than in.

That and when I buy a used saw and the cardboard packing is covered in oil, just covered, but not one tell-tail wet spot to be found. (hint: the tanks were drained completely, that's not where the oil came from)

IMHO, the scariest thing in the world, is, that anyone can walk into a Dealership, or Big Box store, and buy a chainsaw. No license required. Buy a machine that is more than capable of maiming you ... or killing you, and walk away with it. At least a Dealership, will half fill it with properly mixed fuel, and bar oil, and, hopefully, have set it up ( tuned it ) properly. A Big Box store just lets you go through the check out without a care.
I truly don't know which scenario is scarier..
You need a license to drive a car.. You need a way bigger license to drive a truck.. ( Training, testing, and certification ), but.. you can buy one of the most dangerous devices ever invented with no more than cash, or a valid credit card.
Seriously, ANY chainsaw purchase should require proof of proper training, ( certification). People think that a "small" chainsaw, isn't as "dangerous", as a "Big" saw. That's just so wrong.. It's like saying that a scooter is safer than a proper motorcycle.. BS!! Dump off a scooter, at 30 M.P.H., or, dump of a Hayabusa at 30 M.P.H., it's the same thing. You're going down, and going for a slide. A plug in the wall, small electric chainsaw, will open an artery just as quick as a gas powered one. Tons of chainsaws come with ( in the box), that guard to reduce kickback.. Yeah.. like anyone has ever put one on.
Let me be clear, I'm not in favour of any "Nanny state", Government interference into our lives, or of making our incomes.. But, "Customer States".. is an indication that some basic instruction, and certification, before purchase, might be in everybody's best interests. I'm not talking about weeks of training, or hundreds of dollars.. Just an afternoon of the basics.. mix ratios.. basic tuning.. how to hold and use the saw.. Most saws come with a manual, they show and explain how to do basic cuts.. But, there's no requirement to read the manual before yanking the starter cord.
Sorta on that note, I saw the thread about chainsaw injuries. I'll never touch a saw again without a helmet ( with ear protection ), chaps, and steel toe boots. I don't care how 'effin hot it is, I'll sweat, and take more breaks, but I'll never cut again without full gear. Ever.

IMHO, the scariest thing in the world, is, that anyone can walk into a Dealership, or Big Box store, and buy a chainsaw. No license required. Buy a machine that is more than capable of maiming you ... or killing you, and walk away with it. At least a Dealership, will half fill it with properly mixed fuel, and bar oil, and, hopefully, have set it up ( tuned it ) properly. A Big Box store just lets you go through the check out without a care.
I truly don't know which scenario is scarier..
You need a license to drive a car.. You need a way bigger license to drive a truck.. ( Training, testing, and certification ), but.. you can buy one of the most dangerous devices ever invented with no more than cash, or a valid credit card.
Seriously, ANY chainsaw purchase should require proof of proper training, ( certification). People think that a "small" chainsaw, isn't as "dangerous", as a "Big" saw. That's just so wrong.. It's like saying that a scooter is safer than a proper motorcycle.. BS!! Dump off a scooter, at 30 M.P.H., or, dump of a Hayabusa at 30 M.P.H., it's the same thing. You're going down, and going for a slide. A plug in the wall, small electric chainsaw, will open an artery just as quick as a gas powered one. Tons of chainsaws come with ( in the box), that guard to reduce kickback.. Yeah.. like anyone has ever put one on.
Let me be clear, I'm not in favour of any "Nanny state", Government interference into our lives, or of making our incomes.. But, "Customer States".. is an indication that some basic instruction, and certification, before purchase, might be in everybody's best interests. I'm not talking about weeks of training, or hundreds of dollars.. Just an afternoon of the basics.. mix ratios.. basic tuning.. how to hold and use the saw.. Most saws come with a manual, they show and explain how to do basic cuts.. But, there's no requirement to read the manual before yanking the starter cord.
Sorta on that note, I saw the thread about chainsaw injuries. I'll never touch a saw again without a helmet ( with ear protection ), chaps, and steel toe boots. I don't care how 'effin hot it is, I'll sweat, and take more breaks, but I'll never cut again without full gear. Ever.
I'm sure, you are wrong about the scooter being a dangerous as a Hayabusa!

I'm sure, you are wrong about the scooter being a dangerous as a Hayabusa!
I think you missed my point!! Sure, the Hayabusa is capable of 200 M.P.H., and the scooter isn't. But, getting off your ride at 30 M.P.H. is the same 30 M.P.H., no matter what! Also, the scooter has significantly worse handling characteristics than a Hyabusa. Worse handling, braking, acceleration, visibility, etc. Basically, the scooter would be at a severe disadvantage in collision avoidance. At 30 M.P.H., I'd much rather be on a Hayabusa, than a scooter. and that opinion comes from almost 5 decades of riding experience. The reference was basically meant to illustrate that small and cute, doesn't mean safe. As posted, a small electric chainsaw, can inflict just as much physical damage as a gas powered one.

I think you missed my point!! Sure, the Hayabusa is capable of 200 M.P.H., and the scooter isn't. But, getting off your ride at 30 M.P.H. is the same 30 M.P.H., no matter what! Also, the scooter has significantly worse handling characteristics than a Hyabusa. Worse handling, braking, acceleration, visibility, etc. Basically, the scooter would be at a severe disadvantage in collision avoidance. At 30 M.P.H., I'd much rather be on a Hayabusa, than a scooter. and that opinion comes from almost 5 decades of riding experience. The reference was basically meant to illustrate that small and cute, doesn't mean safe. As posted, a small electric chainsaw, can inflict just as much physical damage as a gas powered one.
Which would you put a first time trainee on, either?

Interesting question... Where I live, unfortunately, you can take your test on a 125 CC bike, and then go out and ride a 1,000 CC "Donor Bike". Personally, I think that that is wrong.. just plain wrong.. It should be a graduated license system. At local Community Colleges, they offer weekend courses, taught on 125 CC bikes ( yeah.. cause they get dropped LOL). But again, getting off anything on 2 wheels at 30 M.P.H. usually causes the same results. That was my point in referring to chainsaws.. When you "oops!" , size doesn't matter. Chainsaws, just like motorcycles, are just too dangerous to just let anyone who can afford one, to use one.
Anyone who has $300.00 can buy something that is capable of inflicting more pain and injury, than they could possibly imagine.
I guess it's kinda like the consumer perception of risk.. " It's just a scooter!! What could go wrong?!!" "It's just an electric chainsaw!! .. what could go wrong?!" See what I mean? Even the smallest gas powered saw can "eff you up in a heartbeat.. And, that's just the saw.. Never mind what the tree that you are cutting can do to you. Barber chair, etc..

Interesting question... Where I live, unfortunately, you can take your test on a 125 CC bike, and then go out and ride a 1,000 CC "Donor Bike". Personally, I think that that is wrong.. just plain wrong.. It should be a graduated license system. At local Community Colleges, they offer weekend courses, taught on 125 CC bikes ( yeah.. cause they get dropped LOL). But again, getting off anything on 2 wheels at 30 M.P.H. usually causes the same results. That was my point in referring to chainsaws.. When you "oops!" , size doesn't matter. Chainsaws, just like motorcycles, are just too dangerous to just let anyone who can afford one, to use one.
Anyone who has $300.00 can buy something that is capable of inflicting more pain and injury, than they could possibly imagine.
I guess it's kinda like the consumer perception of risk.. " It's just a scooter!! What could go wrong?!!" "It's just an electric chainsaw!! .. what could go wrong?!" See what I mean? Even the smallest gas powered saw can "eff you up in a heartbeat.. And, that's just the saw.. Never mind what the tree that you are cutting can do to you. Barber chair, etc..
Then there are guns!

Back