How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've burned through one stack already - about two cord of red maple. Started on the next stack a few weeks ago. There's well over 3 cord in that one, mixed hardwoods. We're good for the rest of winter, will prob'ly have a lot left over.

We busted tail a couple years ago to get ahead, sure glad we did. When ya run out of wood in the dead of winter you'll not want to do that again. :eek:

During the freeze or polar vortex we stood rotating watch to keep the stove stoked. But we didn't burn much more than we normally do. I just got into a reserve of oak during the nights and used that instead. The ticket is to get the house good and warm and keep it that way.

I started the season with about 15 cords of mixed hardwood in the shed. About 60 percent is still there, so I should be good. 3 months down; 4 to go. There are ~6 or so more cords stacked outside but that's intended for next season - it'll burn if I need it.

We used 11-12 cords last season but the fire was started about three weeks earlier this fall than last.

Jon

About two years worth in the shed (mixed boxelder, ash and whatever else, OWB likes all of it) and another years worth brought home in logs that need to be cut up. Slowly working on the pile. Hopefully will get back to the woods this weekend.

We've burned through one stack already - about two cord of red maple. Started on the next stack a few weeks ago. There's well over 3 cord in that one, mixed hardwoods. We're good for the rest of winter, will prob'ly have a lot left over.

We busted tail a couple years ago to get ahead, sure glad we did. When ya run out of wood in the dead of winter you'll not want to do that again. :eek:

During the freeze or polar vortex we stood rotating watch to keep the stove stoked. But we didn't burn much more than we normally do. I just got into a reserve of oak during the nights and used that instead. The ticket is to get the house good and warm and keep it that way.

Yep, thermal mass. Doesn't matter if it is rocks or water or your generic household insides...

I've burned almost as much wood so far this winter than I burned all of last winter.
I went and got a load of slab wood to help hold me over.
Im about the same here. Not cutting any last year because of a car accident really hurt my supply.

Have enough stacked in the yard to get through Feb. then I'll have to haul some home from my other property, it's all stacked and covered with tin.

Burned maybe 5 cords, mostly dead standing oak. Learned years ago to add to the pile during the winter, if you can, to keep the pile up! Never know when something might happen to keep yah from getting firewood! Have about 10 cords out in the field, mostly aged oak! Some maple and beech. ThisThaw has Really helped cut down on the consumption!!!

My stacks are trending the same. Except I took from the wrong end of the pile, the splits are getting smaller and of less quality. On a Good note, as I was reluctantly selling a cord and a half to a fella out of wood. I found about 4 heaping wheelbarrows of hickory at the bottom of a crap stack. Just in time for polar vortex, the return.

It's not. I had 18 cords put up last winter and we went through 30.

I had 15 put up this year and it's thinning out. BUT, due to a new toy that showed up for testing there is a lot CUT.

I have a drying system setup in the stove house that winds up with splits having cracked ends on just cut 1 year old downed logs in 5 days.

It's getting old already.

I'll split wood when it's zero out and dont run the saw below 20. My free time when it's not gnarly outside consists of splitting and re-arranging.

LIke I said.....old.

I had 12 cord in the pile, half of it ready ( 2+ years old). I'm down to 9, and I need to start cutting to replace the 3 cord I've burned. It looks like another cold snap getting ready to hit, I have some locust and hickory ready to go. My buddy has a smaller house that's not not insulated and he's running an OWB. He said during the last cold weather (-15), he burned a cord in under 5 days, ouch. He's going thru 32+ full sized heaping truck loads a year.

I am down to about 3 days left of split wood to put in the boiler but, I have had big rounds drying for a few months to almost a year @ least. Luckily I have 3 days off this weekend & plan on mostly splitting & maybe cutting a little dead stuff. Hope to get through this year ok & I will never get caught on a year like this again.

I have burned around 1.5 cords since around Halloween in my new EPA furnace . If that was my old furnace it would be about double that amount. . The wood savings alone is really showing a benefit for me .

This year really ate the pile of 5-6 cords. About a pickup load left in the wood shed. Lucky, a farmer had a dead standing Red Oak. That thing burns hot!

Will have to be finding more.

I have 6 cords seasoned in Wood Palace and only burned 2 cords so far this winter (central chimney with large thermal mass for holding heat in the house, R20 in walls and R40 in ceiling). Cut 6 green cords over the last month cleaning up after road crews trimming back local logging roads. Nice mild stretch out here for last few days. Plan for the worst and expect the best.

Latest posts

Back