How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will make it through with the stacks I have for this years wood. Probably burned close to 3 cord already, But....... I am cheating. Just a few weeks ago I found some really good Bit Coal for a good deal so bought a couple tons. Its now helping to stretch the wood very nicely.

Mid January and I am through three cords already, I only brought in four. I have four more mostly split and stacked in the yard for next year - some of that may be coming into the garage/ furnace room to get hurried along before Feb is over. I have enough to get through this year, the question is how much will I have to bring in ASAP in springtime to be really ready for next year.

+18dF in Fairbanks, AK tonight and heading up. I suspect I'll be done splitting the wood I do have in the warm weather I get while the lower 48 are in the vortex.

Probably gone thru about 3 cords of seasoned birch, got about 3 more months of burn time, so should have way more than enough for that. Skidded in about 2 cords of Tamarack we found on the job, good start for next season.

As of right now I am officially OUT... Not a huge deal though. I'll be going to my shop in town shortly to get an armload that will get things through till this afternoon when the wife and I can go cut more. I'm thinking I need to lay in a few truckloads pretty quick though. I generally don't believe long term forecasts but this end of January deep freeze has been talked about by quite a few meteorologists so i am going to plan for it. Cutting in 0° weather just isn't my cup of tea.

sounds like polar vortex round two is on its way for next week. Another 7-10 days of that bitter cold will take care of the rest of my wood pile in the basement. I have some next year wood out behind the house but i may just say screw it and let the gas furnace rip for Feb. This getting far enough ahead on wood is a nasty business.

sounds like polar vortex round two is on its way for next week. Another 7-10 days of that bitter cold will take care of the rest of my wood pile in the basement. I have some next year wood out behind the house but i may just say screw it and let the gas furnace rip for Feb. This getting far enough ahead on wood is a nasty business.
Paying the oil or gasman is way more nasty...
Up here in Canada their is a LPG shortage or so they say, propane has gone from 55 cents a liter to 92.
3.8 liters to a US gallon

Paying the oil or gasman is way more nasty...
Up here in Canada their is a LPG shortage or so they say, propane has gone from 55 cents a liter to 92.
3.8 liters to a US gallon
If I lived up[ there..just saying, I don't, but I can imagine the heating season and bills..I'd be building a mambo thick walled house or retrofitting to superinsulation standards. Seriously. the whole nine yards, planed air in, all of it.

Most likely cordwood maonry styled walls, at least two foot thick, masonry heater with tons of thermal mass, super insulated walls on the inside, another foot, attic insulation measured in feet. Do it once right, pays off in energy savings and comfort forever.

I know I wouldn't try to keep warm and be tied to no 20 cords plus a year, plus maintenance on some expensive wood boiler. Solid state, no electricity required, a handful of cords a year tops.

I worked on a retrofit in maine, walls/windows/attic/new heater with outside air intake, the owners expensies went from the heating bill cost lots more than the mortgage, in the winter months to a lot of times no heat at all required on milder winter days, the ambient warmth and cooking and electric lights, etc did the job. I am not kidding, saw it with me own peepers, made me a believer.

superinsulation works.

I started with around 18 cord - put 4 in the basement and have replaced that x2 at least. I go through around 4 cord a season and start to get nervous when my stacks get below 15 so I am shooting for a comfortable 30 cord and then may take a year off. But I doubt it - I like the process and being able to take the equipment out back and harvest mother nature felled ash by the cord load is just fun for me. I just nibble away at it a cord or two a weekend from December until Mud season and leave the piles of rounds stacked in the staging area until spring when the splitter comes out and I do the nibble process of getting it all CSS'd. Pays huge dividends when everything you burn is at or below 155 moisture content and you never have to worry about running out. Once your 3+ years ahead you can even get picky and only take the easy stuff.

If I lived up[ there..just saying, I don't, but I can imagine the heating season and bills..I'd be building a mambo thick walled house or retrofitting to superinsulation standards. Seriously. the whole nine yards, planed air in, all of it.

Most likely cordwood maonry styled walls, at least two foot thick, masonry heater with tons of thermal mass, super insulated walls on the inside, another foot, attic insulation measured in feet. Do it once right, pays off in energy savings and comfort forever.

I know I wouldn't try to keep warm and be tied to no 20 cords plus a year, plus maintenance on some expensive wood boiler. Solid state, no electricity required, a handful of cords a year tops.

I worked on a retrofit in maine, walls/windows/attic/new heater with outside air intake, the owners expensies went from the heating bill cost lots more than the mortgage, in the winter months to a lot of times no heat at all required on milder winter days, the ambient warmth and cooking and electric lights, etc did the job. I am not kidding, saw it with me own peepers, made me a believer.

superinsulation works.
2x6 construction, tyvec wrapped, 2800sqft R60 ceiling, r40 walls, 4 cubic cords in a Newmac wood furnace on a wild year, 3 on average.
I do like the idea of a rocket stove, but will the insurance company even touch you? I have a friend with a pine log house with a huge granite stone chimney from basement to top floor that once the stone gets to 80F it will stay that way for days. He might burn 2 cords.
Its the older homes that have never been retrofitted that are the money pits.

2x6 construction, tyvec wrapped, 2800sqft R60 ceiling, r40 walls, 4 cubic cords in a Newmac wood furnace on a wild year, 3 on average. .... I have a friend with a pine log house with a huge granite stone chimney from basement to top floor that once the stone gets to 80F it will stay that way for days. He might burn 2 cords. Its the older homes that have never been retrofitted that are the money pits.

right on with the giant stone chimney - mine is brick/tile in center of home - thermal mass central chimney is how they've been doing it close to artic circle in Scandinavia for centuries. Your R60 is great in ceiling but 2x6 walls only accommodate R20 batting, so do we assume you have 2x12 walls if you went R40? over-stuffing insulation removes airspace and airspace is key to maintaining full R values.

Last edited:
2x6 construction, tyvec wrapped, 2800sqft R60 ceiling, r40 walls, 4 cubic cords in a Newmac wood furnace on a wild year, 3 on average.
I do like the idea of a rocket stove, but will the insurance company even touch you? I have a friend with a pine log house with a huge granite stone chimney from basement to top floor that once the stone gets to 80F it will stay that way for days. He might burn 2 cords.
Its the older homes that have never been retrofitted that are the money pits.

Oh heck, carry on then. You got it down much better than me. I burn more to heat much less square footage. It has zip insulation. Not my house, ain't got the beans to do anything with it, but do have access to wood.

I just think of it as camping....

nice excuse to get outside eh!

'Arctic Vortex' - finally something else besides 'Canada' to blame for miserable weather :laugh:
Always nice to get outside. I have 10 full cord still up in the first field, but this years snowfall stopped the tractor dead in its ruts. I love this weather always much nicer to head indoors and warm up by the fire. Besides there are no bugs! 3' of ice on the lakes, pickeral for supper (walleye for those southernerns).

Always nice to get outside. I have 10 full cord still up in the first field, but this years snowfall stopped the tractor dead in its ruts. I love this weather always much nicer to head indoors and warm up by the fire. Besides there are no bugs! 3' of ice on the lakes, pickeral for supper (walleye for those southernerns).

I guess I'm a "southerner" by your standards. But a pickeral is a mini-version of a pike, we call them chain pickeral. Like a pike a PITA to get the Y bones out but once you know how can get boneless fillets. Walleye are more sort of a monster yellow perch on steroids. What sort of auger extensions you using to get to the water? Happy fishing!!!

My house is small and I am running an old boiler plate Warner "wood pig" (takes 26"). Have been way under 1 cord/month in northern New England and house is toasty. Have three cord of 3 year old hardwood left and another three I can move if I need it. Warm spell melted the snow cover so I can still get in the woods with the tractor and get to more piles in the woods if needed

I know some of you are in colder spots but 15-20+ cord a year, what are you heating a cow barn?

Back