How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
either face cords or an outdoor boiler.

pickerel is yummy also called walleye,36inch auger and Renfrew is less laterally than the top of Vermont....

Wood

"either face cords or an outdoor boiler."

You mean your measure is face cords? How wide?

I measure 128 cu ft to a cord about 3.6 cubic meters

Not sure where the outdoor boiler came into play?

Fish *

Never heard walleye called pickerel? Have heard them called pike-perch. Common where I am are both Walleye, Chain Pickerel and Pike.

Stisoztedion vitium = Walleye

Stisoztedion canadense = Sauger

Esox americanus americanus = Redfin Pickerel

Esox americanus vermiculatus = Grass Pickerel

Esox niger = Chain Pickerel

Esox lucius = Northern Pike

Esox masquinogy = Muskellunge.

* Freshwater Fishes of Canada , Scott and Crossman, Royal Ontario Museum (1973)

Regardless, stay warm both at home and on the ice we have a cold snap coming

Best, MP

Walleye (Sander vitreus, formerly Stizostedion vitreum) is a freshwater perciform fish native to most of Canada and to the Northern United States. It is a North American close relative of the European pikeperch. The walleye is sometimes called the yellow walleye to distinguish it from the blue walleye, which is a subspecies that can be found in the southern Ontario and Quebec regions.[1]
In some parts of its range, the walleye is known as the colored pike, yellow pike or pickerel (esp. in English-speaking Canada), although the fish is not related to other species of pikes which are members of the family Esocidae.

"either face cords or an outdoor boiler."
You mean your measure is face cords? How wide?
I measure 128 cu ft to a cord about 3.6 cubic meters
Not sure where the outdoor boiler came into play?

I'm assuming guys that are throwing out huge wood usage numbers are
a) using face cords as the common measurement 12 cords is really 4 for you and I or
b) they have an outdoor wood monster and are talking real cords.
My dairy farm buddy, heats his house, milk house, and domestic hot water in both and burns 15 cubic or a double load of logs, plus, a year

Yeah, some of the cord usages in here seem pretty high. In Alaska with R45 walls and a R60 ceiling (and a huge amount of caulking around the window frames) I am looking at four cords at 128cf and part way into the fifth cord for the season. I do have an oil burning furnace to keep the pipes from freezing when the stove burns out while I am at work, that thermostat is at 55dF. I try to keep the main part of the house between 80 and 85dF when the wife is home.

My wife and I have one of four children still at home, we are planning R60 walls and R80 roof for our retirement cottage...

Curious to know the degree losses per hour that go with burning more than five cords each year. Down to -20dF I can let the stove burn out with the main part of the house at maybe 90dF around bed time, sleep late, not start the wood stove in the AM and find the living room still at +72 when I get home from work (without burning any oil), so 18 degrees in 18 hours, not stellar but not horrible. To get down to half a degree per hour I would have to spend thousands on double and triple pane windows.

Below -20, new ball game. At -45dF with no wind I lose about 3 degrees per hour.

... I try to keep the main part of the house between 80 and 85dF when the wife is home.

... Down to -20dF I can let the stove burn out with the main part of the house at maybe 90dF around bed time, ...

I would pass out within a minute of walking into that house! I'm one of the few in the world that was born and raised in FL and moved North, against the stream of most others heading South. I've lived here for nearly 20 years now and wouldn't return if someone gave me a beach front estate in Palm Beach. I know heat and I know humidity and I'd sleep in the garage if my wife wanted it to be 80 something degrees inside! We maintain the house in the 60's and wear sweaters pretty much all winter. I go through 2-3 cords (full cords...) a year now as supplement to forced air gas.

80's and 90's inside? Yikes!

Yeah, some of the cord usages in here seem pretty high. In Alaska with R45 walls and a R60 ceiling (and a huge amount of caulking around the window frames) I am looking at four cords at 128cf and part way into the fifth cord for the season. I do have an oil burning furnace to keep the pipes from freezing when the stove burns out while I am at work, that thermostat is at 55dF. I try to keep the main part of the house between 80 and 85dF when the wife is home.

My wife and I have one of four children still at home, we are planning R60 walls and R80 roof for our retirement cottage...

Curious to know the degree losses per hour that go with burning more than five cords each year. Down to -20dF I can let the stove burn out with the main part of the house at maybe 90dF around bed time, sleep late, not start the wood stove in the AM and find the living room still at +72 when I get home from work (without burning any oil), so 18 degrees in 18 hours, not stellar but not horrible. To get down to half a degree per hour I would have to spend thousands on double and triple pane windows.

Below -20, new ball game. At -45dF with no wind I lose about 3 degrees per hour.
How thick are your walls to get that R value? What insulation are you using?

FWIW my father in law speaks Arabic and works for Boeing, my wife grew up in places where folks speak Arabic. Her dad would listen to the local mechanics describe what was going on with the plane in Arabic, and then call Boeing HQ and talk to someone in English, and then get off the phone and switch to Arabic, you get the idea. She likes it hot.

With 2x6 construction I have R=21 inside the sheathing with standard 5.5" fiberglass, and then styrofoam outside the sheathing under the siding, 1 or 2 layers of 2". I can never seem to remember if it is one layer of 2" that gives me another R20 or two layers of 2", but there is at least one 2 in there.

Current thinking for us is to stick build exterior walls to 11 feet, then stick build rafters on that without having to buy knee trusses. Then a stick built inside ceiling at 8 feet leaves room for a 32" layer of blown cellulose in the ceiling corner to corner. We are currently looking for not more than 1/3 total R value inside the vapor barrier, and at least 2/3 of total R value outside the vapor barrier. Keeping the vapor barrier near the inside keeps the vapor barrier material above the dew point, ameliorating condensation/ moisture/ mold issues.

We can get away with 11' 2x4 construction because we only average about 10" of precipitation annually. Certainly I see three or four feet of snow every year, but it is really dry powder type snow locally. Fluffy. Who knew Fairbanks, AK is considered a world class destination by cross country skiers? I didn't. If you get more than 10" annual precip this may not work for you...

Anyroad, with 32" cellulose in the ceiling we can insulate the 2x4 structure inside the sheathing after the mechanicals are in, and then put the vapor barrier outside the sheathing. No cutting little pieces to fit between the floor joists in the basement and tube after tube of "black death" in the caulking gun to fasten it down. No stupid "hats" over every jiffy box. Just vapor barrier out from under the footer, up the outside of the sheathing, over the rim band, across the "attic floor" before the cellulose gets blown in, and back down the other side.

Once the vapor barrier is up, 6" of styrofoam on the outside, with furring strips to clamp down the styrofoam and hang the siding from. Those 9" screws aren't cheap, neither is the foam board; but heat ain't cheap up here either, I paid $3.86/ gallon for my last fill of heating oil.

One challenge is the HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilation) system. I only know two people in houses tight enough to require them so far, but neither of those two are ecstatic. What the system is supposed to do is push outgoing air from the bathroom and kitchen through a heat exchanger so incoming fresh air to the living room and bedrooms is already warm. I know two is a pretty small sample size. I dunno if the engineers are underestimating requirements, or the subs are cutting corners while the general is on the phone, or the end users are committing RTFM errors, but these should work.

For retro fits, with the shingles off we are looking at 12" of styrofoam on the roof sheathing with furring strips and really expensive screws, then metal roofing on the furring strips. That kind of foam purchase is priced like beef, higher than farm raised salmon, less than wild caught. I'll need a layer of it one foot thick big enough to cover 1200sqft of floor on a 4:12 roof.

If you are building now, or about to, "CCHRC REMOTE wall system" does hit on google, homepage here: http://www.cchrc.org/remote-walls

FWIW my father in law speaks Arabic and works for Boeing, my wife grew up in places where folks speak Arabic. Her dad would listen to the local mechanics describe what was going on with the plane in Arabic, and then call Boeing HQ and talk to someone in English, and then get off the phone and switch to Arabic, you get the idea. She likes it hot.

With 2x6 construction I have R=21 inside the sheathing with standard 5.5" fiberglass, and then styrofoam outside the sheathing under the siding, 1 or 2 layers of 2". I can never seem to remember if it is one layer of 2" that gives me another R20 or two layers of 2", but there is at least one 2 in there.

Current thinking for us is to stick build exterior walls to 11 feet, then stick build rafters on that without having to buy knee trusses. Then a stick built inside ceiling at 8 feet leaves room for a 32" layer of blown cellulose in the ceiling corner to corner. We are currently looking for not more than 1/3 total R value inside the vapor barrier, and at least 2/3 of total R value outside the vapor barrier. Keeping the vapor barrier near the inside keeps the vapor barrier material above the dew point, ameliorating condensation/ moisture/ mold issues.

We can get away with 11' 2x4 construction because we only average about 10" of precipitation annually. Certainly I see three or four feet of snow every year, but it is really dry powder type snow locally. Fluffy. Who knew Fairbanks, AK is considered a world class destination by cross country skiers? I didn't. If you get more than 10" annual precip this may not work for you...

Anyroad, with 32" cellulose in the ceiling we can insulate the 2x4 structure inside the sheathing after the mechanicals are in, and then put the vapor barrier outside the sheathing. No cutting little pieces to fit between the floor joists in the basement and tube after tube of "black death" in the caulking gun to fasten it down. No stupid "hats" over every jiffy box. Just vapor barrier out from under the footer, up the outside of the sheathing, over the rim band, across the "attic floor" before the cellulose gets blown in, and back down the other side.

Once the vapor barrier is up, 6" of styrofoam on the outside, with furring strips to clamp down the styrofoam and hang the siding from. Those 9" screws aren't cheap, neither is the foam board; but heat ain't cheap up here either, I paid $3.86/ gallon for my last fill of heating oil.

One challenge is the HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilation) system. I only know two people in houses tight enough to require them so far, but neither of those two are ecstatic. What the system is supposed to do is push outgoing air from the bathroom and kitchen through a heat exchanger so incoming fresh air to the living room and bedrooms is already warm. I know two is a pretty small sample size. I dunno if the engineers are underestimating requirements, or the subs are cutting corners while the general is on the phone, or the end users are committing RTFM errors, but these should work.

For retro fits, with the shingles off we are looking at 12" of styrofoam on the roof sheathing with furring strips and really expensive screws, then metal roofing on the furring strips. That kind of foam purchase is priced like beef, higher than farm raised salmon, less than wild caught. I'll need a layer of it one foot thick big enough to cover 1200sqft of floor on a 4:12 roof.

If you are building now, or about to, "CCHRC REMOTE wall system" does hit on google, homepage here: http://www.cchrc.org/remote-walls

Very nice post man, you have it well under control!

I guess I'm a "southerner" by your standards. But a pickeral is a mini-version of a pike, we call them chain pickeral. Like a pike a PITA to get the Y bones out but once you know how can get boneless fillets. Walleye are more sort of a monster yellow perch on steroids. What sort of auger extensions you using to get to the water? Happy fishing!!!

My house is small and I am running an old boiler plate Warner "wood pig" (takes 26"). Have been way under 1 cord/month in northern New England and house is toasty. Have three cord of 3 year old hardwood left and another three I can move if I need it. Warm spell melted the snow cover so I can still get in the woods with the tractor and get to more piles in the woods if needed

I know some of you are in colder spots but 15-20+ cord a year, what are you heating a cow barn?

I only burn on average 3 full cord a year, and have no other means of heat in the house. Home design and construction are my friends, and its a small place.
No auger extension required, just more bending.

Everyday fishing is happy!

800 sf of well-insulated bliss. 2 cord of good stuff and another half-cord of shoulder per year. I like to keep the windows open! :p
A little more sf would be nice (no place for the drum kit) but it's workin' for me.
Good construction and insulation is everything, IMHO. Money well spent.

I burn about 10 cord and have about 15 left in the shed. We started burning early this year and it's been nasty cold. I heard they are rationing propane and charging about $1.86 / gal.

Put the last of the wood from the shed in the basement today. That went fast! This is the first winter were we didn't turn on the propane.

I didn't hear from the guy that I met at the gas station. Who knows what happened. I'll have to find something else. The snow is too deep where I was cutting back a couple of seasons. I tried plowing a road and it was all that I could do with my 1 ton. I suppose if it was loaded that would have been a different story.

It's not. I had 18 cords put up last winter and we went through 30.

I had 15 put up this year and it's thinning out. BUT, due to a new toy that showed up for testing there is a lot CUT.

I have a drying system setup in the stove house that winds up with splits having cracked ends on just cut 1 year old downed logs in 5 days.

It's getting old already.

I'll split wood when it's zero out and dont run the saw below 20. My free time when it's not gnarly outside consists of splitting and re-arranging.

LIke I said.....old.

Was 30 cord for one house?

Walleye (Sander vitreus, formerly Stizostedion vitreum) is a freshwater perciform fish native to most of Canada and to the Northern United States. It is a North American close relative of the European pikeperch. The walleye is sometimes called the yellow walleye to distinguish it from the blue walleye, which is a subspecies that can be found in the southern Ontario and Quebec regions.[1]
In some parts of its range, the walleye is known as the colored pike, yellow pike or pickerel (esp. in English-speaking Canada), although the fish is not related to other species of pikes which are members of the family Esocidae.

Well my trusty Freshwater Fishes of Canada book I've had for years let me down for alternate fish names, whoops maybe not! Index cross references walleyed

What do you guys north of our border call real Chain Pickerel? Mini-Pike?

I understand now about the cord measure and boiler references you reffered to

Back