How's your wood pile holding out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polar Vortex (s) - didn't see that one (s) coming. Glad I was watching the wooly bear caterpillar though. I filled the cellar with an extra 3 cords because of them.:D

Injury , surgery , recovery , surgery , recovery , cuttin wood now so burn baby burn :)
The polar vortex ain't helpin tho .....But I aint complainin :D

I have been mixing a small amount of not seasoned red oak with the really dry pine and it has been working out good for me. The pine burns hot enough to keep the stove temp up and dry the oak, and the oak is leaving good coals for a longer burn time. You do what you have to do to stay warm!

The stacks of good stuff, (BL) are getting thin, and I'll be into next year's stacks before we're done.
I need to have more shoulder wood put up. Willow, poplar and box elder. Stuff to burn when it gets into the 20's and 30's. Ya know, when there's a heat wave. :laugh:

This weekend I will need to replenish the stack on the porch, which holds about a half cord or a little more. Probably clean up the rest of the red elm and get started on some oak that has been in there for 4+ years. Getting the red elm stack out gives me room to back fill 2 more cord into the woodshed from my outdoor stacks.

Vortex never left here for the last week or the next week either unless you count tonight being 4*F. If one more of them POS vortex comes back I'll be into next years woodpile without a doubt. Just when I thought I was going to be getting ahead the winter appears to be going to get the last laugh. What winter doesn't know is that I have 7 weeks off in May/June where I only have to work so I'm going to attempt to get 3+ years of wood this time.

The people that are running low or are out of firewood aren't usually the ones that cut it themselves. The rising cost of propane, inability to get oil, and lack of natural gas in the area, not to mention the cost of electricity all make a big impact on the amount of wood used this season. Not to mention locally most started burning in September, two months early.

That's a good point, cause we've mostly been focusing on the bitter cold. People did start hitting the woodpiles early and often and that certainly affects the supply. Plus, down here we are coming off a couple soft winters. People that buy wood based on past usage have certainly underestimated their needs for a year like this.

Last edited:
OWB 6048 classic....I will be getting into my February wood by the end of the weekend so I am not doing to bad...Started burning in October...Here is my rundown
October & November=2 cord.....Dec= 2 1/2 cord.....Jan= 3 cord..... I usually stop burning around mid March...... I always stack around 12 cord and have a little left over at the end....Im right on track

sadly not keeping up. a fireplace cannot keep up at these temps so i'm forced to use propane. it always uses the same amount of wood cold or warm----a lot .load every 1 and a half to 2 hours. on the plus side we had a ice storm over Christmas and I have a lot of wood to c/s/s this year. I don't work outside till it stays in the teens or above . i really should move the woodchuck from the garage to the basement and heat the house with that. the garage is toasty warm when I work out there in any temp.:)

Looking good so far....if spring hits next week.:mad:
7 Cords of the good stuff so far. Down to two cord of Oak and Ash.
The shoulder season stuff that gets burned in the day time is about done.

The windthrown dead ash that is piled up for next year, might get used this season, which is going to screw up my plans to be done cutting by April.
Snow is too deep to get into the woods, so things are at a stand still other than splitting.
There are three big Red oaks that got tossed last spring, just calling my name, and it's killing me.

Beats burning propane though.

I threw the rest of what I have in the basement last weekend. That included a load of slabwood that I picked up a few weeks back in case I ran low. The way things are going this year that will probably get me through the 1st week in Feb. Think I am gonna have to make another trip down the road to the Amish sawmill for another bundle of slabwood. Good thing he is cheap.
Sure miss my buddy owning a sawmill.... could by a bundle of slabs for 20 bucks.... when the charcoal plant went bellyup here he would sell his slabs cheap and I was always ready for them

Getting to the point that we're cutting dead fall and burning it almost immediately. Its supposed to warm up in a couple days. In to the mid 20's at least. I'll be busting butt in the spring to get well ahead of this stuff next winter. I hate to admit but I wasn't ready for this. I guess I got spoiled the last few years.

Back