Huskee 35 Ton Splitter - Check Your Hoses!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other Possibilities for Hoses Blowing Off

Speeco just replied about hoses blowing off the connections.

(quote) If there is a hose blowing, chances are there is some other problem besides a loose clamp although that is always a possiblility. If the valve was not detenting properly or the splitter was overfilled or anything else that could cause back pressure in that hose.(quote)

Nosmo

I have the same unit and have had the same issue. What I'd like to know is what would generate pressure that line? The way I understand it, there shouldn't be much at all if any. Under what conditions would measurable pressure be created?

I have the same unit and have had the same issue. What I'd like to know is what would generate pressure that line? The way I understand it, there shouldn't be much at all if any. Under what conditions would measurable pressure be created?

In an older unit if the filter were plugged up it might reach a high enough pressure to blow the line off. In my case I simply think that the hose clamp had not been tightened when assembled. There were several things on mine that when I checked them were not sufficiently tight.

As I view the plumbing that line is under pressure, low pressure but pressure none the less. First off the returning fluid line is what we are talking about, the other lines will have crimped fittings that thread into what they go into. This is the one that goes between the valve and the filter.

So for fluid to be moving in this line the piston in the cylinder has to be retracting and what is moving through the line is the fluid that is being evacuated from the top of the cylinder. What ever pressure is being exerted on that piston to retract it is equal to the pressure in that line and the amount of that pressure is a function of whatever it is that is driving the piston up in the cylinder plus a factor to account for restriction in the filter that hangs at the end of the line. Plug up that filter just right and you'll blow off even a good snug line. However the maximum pressure that could be found in the line would also be dictated by how well that filter flowed fluid. At any rate while the pressure will be low (baring a filter failure) there will still be some.

My unit is a couple years old, but the filter is on the intake supply line. The return line feeds directly to the top of the tank. There is a breather hole in the tank plug that I would expect to mitigate any differences between the fluids going in and out. I think it would take a plugged breather hole and alot of expansion in the air in the tank to build any kind of pressure. Even then, how much are we talking? I had been running mine a few seasons before it happened and never noticed anything during maintenance. I thought at one point it was because of the bad seals in the control valve but I can't explain how that could affect it either.

My unit is a couple years old, but the filter is on the intake supply line. The return line feeds directly to the top of the tank. There is a breather hole in the tank plug that I would expect to mitigate any differences between the fluids going in and out. I think it would take a plugged breather hole and alot of expansion in the air in the tank to build any kind of pressure. Even then, how much are we talking? I had been running mine a few seasons before it happened and never noticed anything during maintenance. I thought at one point it was because of the bad seals in the control valve but I can't explain how that could affect it either.
The suction side should never have more then a strainer screen on it as restricting the oil flow shortens the pump life. Any low pressure filter should be in the return line only.

As for the loose return line hose clamps, it would be a vary good idea to tighten these after the machine has warmed and cooled a few times and the hoses take a set on their nipples.
Ken

mine was setup like that when it came from TSC. Isn't it the standard setup?

A quick search made it look like it is.

Last edited:
I don't have a tsc splitter, but that layout flys in the face of traditional hydraulic design wisdom, Sure others will chime in.
Ken

Got a huskee 22 ton from t.s.c. last saturday, checked hoses , fittings, etc. all good to go . I will double clamp all hose fittings.

Only thing i found a problem with after i pulled the wheels to check bearing grease ,was none xcept for a little the bearing mfg. put on the bearings, greased both sides now good to go.

I was personally very much suprised to see the filter on the return side rather than on the inlet. I'm no engineer, not by a long shot, but it made sense to me that if the fluid was to be filtered it was in order to protect the pump, valve, and cylinder from debris in the tank. I didn't see where much would be accomplished trying to remove the trash after it has passed through the critical parts. Of course once all the fluid has circulated a few times, which should happen once ever couple of minutes of use, the fluid will have been filtered and refilted so many times that thereafter all you are picking up is material from normal wear and chemical reactions.

For me the real key would seem to be to change that filter after just a short period (say 8 or 10 hours) of use and then regularly (annually?)after that. I think that makes sense.

If the oil tank is clean and the return line 10 micron filter is piped to the tank - then all oil is filtered that goes back to the tank. Inlet filter is not required since the hydraulic oil will not contain particles large enough to be captured by the coarser mesh strainer.
http://www.insidersecretstohydraulic...ic-filter.html

Inlet filters increase the chances of cavitation occurring in the intake line and subsequent damage to, and failure of the pump.

So it sounds like the huskee older models filter is on the inlet and newer versions have it on the return. Do the older models have a history of premature pump failure? Has anyone converted one? Is it worth the effort?

New Hose Arrived

What's going on with them people? You would think they would know better. Lucky they don't build airplanes. Let us know if you get the new hose. Going out and checking the 34T right now. Thanks for the heads-up.

I was still waiting on this replacement hose so I Emailed Kevin Greer again. Seems the warehouse was shut down for inventory. It just arrived about an hour ago so I do have the new one.

Nosmo

I was still waiting on this replacement hose so I Emailed Kevin Greer again. Seems the warehouse was shut down for inventory. It just arrived about an hour ago so I do have the new one.

Nosmo

I too just received my new hose from Carolyn Reyes. Funny thing is.. I made phone call a few weeks ago. Left my name and phone number. Telling them my issue and asking for a return call.. Never heard from them.. Today Santa dropped it off.. Much sturdier looking,also made in the US of A.
Thanks Speeco for stepping up to the plate.

Speeco seems to step up. I like that about a company,, Not everything can be perfect ,,but,, when its not Speeco seems to be there.. mostly.. Gotta repect that. As a working man, i value those follow ups..You can buy a more expensive splitter , or one that folks think are better then Speeco/Husky but it is nice to know Speeco will be ther if i need them,,Thanks Kevin for representing them on this board.. :clap:

i swelled up the hydraulic tank on my processor and it blew apart @ the baffles in the middle. made a square tank look like a balloon. only lost around 20 gallons. :dizzy:

not the first time ive had something like that happen. ive blew hoses off the return side and wore a hole in a low pressure hose. had to replace several hoses on the skidder, but the best one was a 3/4 inch high pressure hose on my pretince loader. absoutly covered my truck that was parked 30 feet away. :censored:

blackdiesel;1883750) but the best one was a 3/4 inch high pressure hose on my pretince loader. absoutly covered my truck that was parked 30 feet away. :censored:[/QUOTE said:
Once while loading tree length with my 200 Serco, I forgot to uncouple my Espar engine coolant heater, when I lifted the main boom too high, I jambed a lift cylinder fitting again my coolant couplers and broke the fitting off. The boom dropped like a rock and twin 6 by 48" cylinders sprayed there contents everywhere while I frantically guided the boom and trees down between the haul truck and the wood loader.
Haul truck, loader truck and loader were all showered with hyd oil.

Another time, same loader at my mechanics shop, the young mechanic was removing a 8" outrigger cylinder. He was suppose to remove the hoses, then lossen the lockblock until it began to leak and catch the oil as gravity pulled the fold down stabilizer down.
Instead the orings held the lockblock to the cylinder and he completely removed the bolts and no seepage. So he tapped the lockblock with a hammer at which point it leaped off the cylinder and the 500lb outrigger fell, evacuating the 8" (by about 30") cylinder connected to it. Gallons of hyd oil sprayed 20 ft in the air until it hit the ceiling of the shop, then fell like rain all over the contents of the entire building.
Several hours of attempted clean up only collected the worst of it and the rest took months to wear off everything you touched.

A local slasher loader operator joked that new biodegradeable hydraulic oil was designed to be pumped from the power unit through the slasher saw motor (at about 75 gallons per minute) then "fly out in the bush" (return lines not required)

Anther wise man (Gib Erickson) at their local mill told me "never wear new cloths around hydraulic equipment, thats just begging for a oil bath":bang:
Ken

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back