Husky 142 or 338XPT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
twistedtree said:
I've just ignored the difference between HP and bHP since they are very close. If that bothers you, you can look at the metric units and forget about all these silly imperial measurements. A kw and a kg are the same everywhere and for everyone.
When rounded off (one decimal) kW/hp/bhp, and metric vs. imperial weights, are calculated back and forth - it leads to interesting results in some cases.

An obvious exemple from your table is that the adverticed 5.4 hp of the 372xp are calculated into 4.0 kW.
In reallity it is 3.9 Kw - that 5.4 hp is in reality a rounded up number, and when you calculate it back to kW it "gains" .1 kW.
How you arrived at 5.3 hp for the MS 440 is an enigma to me, it doesnt add up even if it is bhp .....

When the hp numbers are in the ballpark of 5, a given kW number in mot cases will equal .1 less bhp than hp (about 2% difference).

You are right that such differences is of little consequence in real life, but it looks untidy when put into a table as "facts".
Southwesterfastener has a table on their website with about the same mistakes that is in yours...

Last edited:
rbtree said:
Bingo, here's far and away your best bet...a new Echo CS 346!!! act fast, ending about 10 am EST
http://cgi.ebay.com/Echo-CS-346-Cha...735178455QQcategoryZ88435QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and there's several more 3450's and 346's here, steer clear of the smaller and gutless 300
He did mention he wanted a quality tool...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Chainsaws-Husqvarna-336-Chainsaw-husky-chain-saw-saws_W0QQitemZ7735176366QQcategoryZ79666QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem This saw is twice the tool as that echo.

Mike Maas said:
I run a 16" .325.
Isn't the saw a bit front heavy with that bar?
I just hefted a 339xp with a 13" .325 NK setup on it, and it was on the borderline to front heavyness even with that setup (empty tanks).

Last edited:
Mike, it also is over twice the price. I dunno about twice the saw. Mod the muffler on the Echo and it will cut about the same as the 339....and prolly last just as long if not longer.

SawTroll said:
When rounded off (one decimal) kW/hp/bhp, and metric vs. imperial weights, are calculated back and forth - it leads to interesting results in some cases.

An obvious exemple from your table is that the adverticed 5.4 hp of the 372xp are calculated into 4.0 kW.
In reallity it is 3.9 Kw - that 5.4 hp is in reality a rounded up number, and when you calculate it back to kW it "gains" .1 kW.
How you arrived at 5.3 hp for the MS 440 is an enigma to me, it doesnt add up even if it is bhp .....

When the hp numbers are in the ballpark of 5, a given kW number in mot cases will equal .1 less bhp than hp (about 2% difference).

You are right that such differences is of little consequence in real life, but it looks untidy when put into a table as "facts".
Southwesterfastener has a table on their website with about the same mistakes that is in yours...

The only entry in the table that's calculated is the power/weight ratio. Everything else is straight fro mthe manufacturer's published specs for both saws. To be completely explicit, I have not calculated any of the HP, bHP, or KW figures from any of the other figures, so I don't think any of the cumulative errors that you are describing apply here.

Pffssst...:D

Well, Mike, my 3400 was stolen....sort of, by a guy i loaned it to, along with a 335 Cali and an old 154, an old rope and old saddle, as his gear had been stolen..or so he claimed. Then, he disappeared..dam n it..but that's another story.

Anyhow, I'm fuzzy on the details, but I thought my muffler modded 3400 was darned close to a bone stock 335....

Mike Maas said:
A saw should be front heavy, shouldn't it? Does it matter?
Each to his own, but I don't like front heavy saws in the woods.

On these small and light saws it shouldn't matter much, though.

SawTroll said:
Nice sheet, but it contains a lot of questionable info.

The main issues is that it does not differenciate between hp and bhp, and it does not differenciate between true ande false weigh statements from the manufacturers (not your fault!).

Stihls weight statements are mostly right on, but Huskys are anything between .1 kg and .4 kg (357xp) lower than neutral test reports find.:censored: :bang:
The only Husky in the list that weights as adverticed is the 262xp, but by now it is only sold new in Russia.;)

I guess I don't see it. I looked up the DLG test reports and their measured weights, and they are all within 2%-3% of the manufacturer's specs with one exception. Some are slightly more, some are less. Both Stihl and Husky models are understated as well as overstated, so I don't buy that Husky's numbers can't be trusted and Stihl's can.

The only notable exceptions is the 357XP which weighs in 7% over spec. Other than the 357XP, I'd consider both manufacturer's specs to be balls on.

I've attached an updated spreadsheet showing the DLG numbers and %difference.

Latest posts

Back