Husky 262 XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYCHA FORESTER

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a husky 262xp with a 24" bar (it was 18"). I keep reading posts about various saws but never the 262 xp. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? I just use it for firewood and occasional takedowns. Got a Husky 35 for climbing ( do that even less now.......since I discovered I was afraid of heights sorta speak(10 years after the fact.... a sloath worked faster than me).....even bucket work made me nervous ....and I don't mean KFC either. 8^)

If I recall, the 262 was the first Husky with air injecton. It was ahead of its time, I think. Never had one, but a friend did and it served him well. Husky just discontinued the very similar 362.

i well recall the time my dad finally got talkd into taking one o those big passenger jets..at the end o the run way the pilot hat to divert or crash ,,as the thing wouldnt leave the ground..
dad ruined a perfectly good set of shoes plowing the pavement..:)

NYCHA,

You don't hear much about the 262XP since its heyday has past, and there aren't a whole bunch out there. IMO, it was merely outstanding during its production, and the ones I still have are prized. A power/weight hot rod, tuned for performance alone, it wouldn't make it in todays restrictive environment. It like a '66 muscle car in an emissions-controlled world.

Husky 262XP= Old school, gone the way of the Mac 10-10 and the Homelite XL12. You new a new modern saw so e-mail me and I'll trade you out of that antique!

It works fine for me. I might have put five gallons of gas through it at most. Like I said....i use it primarily for firewood. If I was doing production work then I would naturally step to a newer saw.

Up to this point the only parts I put into it is a new bar and a couple of chains. Is their anything I should be particularly aware of or be looking for by way of maintenance? I will tell you this....you really need a good grip on the saw when trying to start it.(high compression)

SMITH

All BS aside I think the 262XP is one of the best in the 60cc class. Been wanting one for a long time, someday, maybe.............

Loved my 262xp, liked it every bit as well as my current 044 Stihl. I bought mine in the early '90's from a dealer that was going out of business, and only had a few saws left. I got a great deal. If not for the circumstances, I would have bought a 272xp (almost identical to current 372xp, not sure of the differences). The 262 was a virtual twin to the 272, just 10 cc's smaller. Physically the saws were identical, except for the decals, you could not tell the difference. This is probably why you see so many more 272/372's than 262/362's. If you're going to tote around that size/weight of saw, may as well get the 72cc version.
I also disagree that the 262xp is old school. It still appears to me to be very close to a 62cc version of the current 372xp.

Farmboy I was just BS ing about oldschool, I think the 262XP is very up to date. I must disagree on the size weight issue, I believe the 262XP is about the same size as the 257 [been wrong before], if so it would be smaller and lighter than the 272/372XP. Had a 257, great saw, got a 372XP, great saw.

shoot501,

I still have the Husky brochure from when I bought my saw. I will check out the weight of the 262xp vs. 272xp this evening and report back tomorrow. I remember looking at 272's when buying oil, chain loops, etc. at another dealer, and thinking that they were physically identical to my 262.

I no longer have my 262, I let a brush fire get out and burned it up. I replaced it with an 044 Stihl. According to the manufacturers literature, the 044 and 372 are virtually identical in weight. If my Stihl is any heavier than the old 262, I can't tell it.

Back when the 262 and the 272 were both being sold as current saws, the 262 had the best "power to weight " ratio of any of the Husky saws being sold at that time. I still have the catalog from that year and that was the reason I had 4 of them over the years. I've since sold them all. A few years back I sold one on ebay as "new", never been run, clean as a whistle and got good money for it. They were great saws. Dave

shoot501,

I would hardly put the 262XP in the class of an XL12 or a 10-10. They were much more advanced than that, one of our earlier hot rod saws. However, the 24 inch bar would be bit much for these in hardwood, balanced poorly too. The 81cc versions were more the 24 inch bar saw. I sold Huskies in those days. Been there, done that.

The 262 was also a please to service compared to the competition of the day. You can have the cylinder, carb out as a subassembly and be at the piston in about 5 minutes once you have done it. Thats using a power driver.

I know Tony, I was just BS ing about that. I think the 262XP is a fine saw and wish I had one.

Would anyone have a picture of 262 XP´s carburator. I have like.....200 carbs, but it would help a lot to identify one if i could see what the carb looks like, especially the markings on a cast frame. In two manuals, they say that its either hda-120 or hda-87.....?

But if its either of em, i would still be interested to see some closeups, of that 262xp carb. Its about the same cast as in 242xp, but with bigger venturi.....but HOW big :msp_mad:

I am about to put the carb in my 242xp, that has a muffler gutted and ports are cleaned, and the cylinder gasket is now 0.5mm. There was 1.0mm gasket before, and thats wrong one.

I had a 262 and two 261's. Not much difference between the two models. Easy to work on.
I put a flat top piston in one 261.
I felt a little more vibration than some newer saws.

Would anyone have a picture of 262 XP´s carburator. I have like.....200 carbs, but it would help a lot to identify one if i could see what the carb looks like, especially the markings on a cast frame. In two manuals, they say that its either hda-120 or hda-87.....?

But if its either of em, i would still be interested to see some closeups, of that 262xp carb. Its about the same cast as in 242xp, but with bigger venturi.....but HOW big :msp_mad:

I am about to put the carb in my 242xp, that has a muffler gutted and ports are cleaned, and the cylinder gasket is now 0.5mm. There was 1.0mm gasket before, and thats wrong one.

hda120 pictures

husky262carb001.jpg

husky262carb002.jpg

husky262carb003.jpg

Latest posts

Back