Husky 346xp or 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawzall82

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can't make my mind up. Can you guys help? Husky 346xp/359, or Stihl MS260/310.Not buying these as combos but they seem to be in my budget and the best in the 50-60cc class. These are what I have heard good things about and have narrowed it down to. I want to stay around $500 or less. Thanks ahead for all replies.

Last edited:
The 260/346 are pro saws were the 359/310 are mid grades. I prefer the 260 myself but all of them are good saws. Pick a good dealer....

or J-Red 2153. Call some AS sponsors and get one or the other. I was leaning towards a 346xp, but snagged a Makita 6401 for $289. :clap:

I can't make my mind up. Can you guys help? Husky 346xp/359, or Stihl MS260/310.Not buying these as combos but they seem to be in my budget and the best in the 50-60cc class. These are what I have heard good things about and have narrowed it down to. I want to stay around $500 or less. Thanks ahead for all replies.

The 260 is a good saw, very durable and reliable. Though even muf modded it will not quite keep up with a stock 346xp. If you want the zoom the 346 is probably best for the $ between those two.

Man, the 346 must be one mean little dude. I haven't heard one bad thing about it. I have heard it's smooth, light, fast, powerful, and some even say it's just down right the bomb. I'm going to have to at least look at one.

i used a ms310 for the last 8 years with a 20" bar. i used it after gustav and it was a little to heavy and big for the back of my dirt bike (dual sport).

i sold it and bought a 346xp with a 16". man. i cant tell you the difference. unbelievable. i wish i would have swapped sooner! its worth every penny. here a 310 is 415, and 460 for a 346xp. no comparison imo. i know the 346 has less hp according to the lists, but i dont think it feels like it.

The 260 is a good saw, very durable and reliable. Though even muf modded it will not quite keep up with a stock 346xp. If you want the zoom the 346 is probably best for the $ between those two.

:agree2:

I like the 260, but the 346xp is better in almost every respect, for a tad less money (in the US that is - a lot less over here).

Man, the 346 must be one mean little dude. I haven't heard one bad thing about it. I have heard it's smooth, light, fast, powerful, and some even say it's just down right the bomb. I'm going to have to at least look at one.

The Dolmar 5100S is less money and a very good option as well, but the 346 is the better-handling saw - if you care (I do). :)

If you want more power, forget the 359 and 310 - the offer very little, for quite a lot of more weight, more so than the specs tell you (+ lesser quality, specially for the 310).

Last edited:
If you want more power, forget the 359 and 310 - the offer very little, for quite a lot of more weight, more so than the specs tell you (+ lesser quality, specially for the 310).

Just for the record, that statement is false. Both saws are built like a mid grade saw. For work, the 310 would be the best, for mods, the 359. I have seen the 359 in lowes.........

The 359 is no XP saw but has the high build quality, like the 365.
The 310 is.. mid range .. built like the abominable 290 boat anchor...

The 359 over the 310 is a no brainer.

.. But just get the mighty 346XP and leave the rest behind.

Just for the record, that statement is false. Both saws are built like a mid grade saw. For work, the 310 would be the best, for mods, the 359. I have seen the 359 in lowes.........

Totally wrong, the 359 is built like a pro saw, except for the engine - the 310 sure isn't.....:greenchainsaw: :poke: :poke:

I am no big fan of the 359, because of that engine (power to weight issue) - but comparing the quality to the 310 is going waaaaaay to far.

Last edited:
Cant say about the 359 stock.....I sure can say my muffler modded 359;) is a nice saw.........Only draw back is the outboard clutch....

Last edited:
Oh Yeah!

Just be sure to bring your wallet 'cuz you WILL take it home! NE346XP !

Al :cheers:

I own three of the saws you mention and just my 2 cents. my 346xp will run circles around my 026 my 359 is a great saw but as saw troll said for the power to weight you would be better off going to a ms361 or 372xp.one more thought is if you could find a 357xp. If you are looking for a general firewood saw go with the 346xp with a 16" andyou won't be sorry.

I just bought a 346xp 18" bar yesterday...thing just felt "right" in my hands...dealer wanted to talk about nothing but a 455 rancher but that felt like so unbalanced compared to this 346xp.

Back