Husky 350: Need Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLazyBFarm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Used my -350 today, wasn't cutting good, so I decided to change the chain with the brand new spare the I got when I bought the chainsaw.

As is usual when cutting, I cut, then engage the chain safety handle, move to a new location (we were clearing under brush and small trees in pretty rough country for opur 4x4 competition site - but I digress), dis-engage the safety and start cutting.

It wasn't cutting good, so went to change the chain and forgot to dis-engage the safety. The cover popped off because my hands were both greasy, sweaty and the saw was hot, fiddle-farted around and the saw slipped, the bar hit the cooler and the chain cover popped off - with the safety engaged.

Now, I can't re-install the bar cover with the safety engaged and don't see a way to dis-engage it - yet.

The local Stihl store closed at noon - those inconsiderate, massive piles of dinosaur poop - but I digress again.

Before I totally cluster-fawk it, what's the standard, safe and successful way to dis-engage the safety with the bar cover off so I can put the bar cover back on?

Yea, yea, I know: RTFM. My bad, lesson learned.

The good news is that I got a pretty good pickup load of fresh Hickory - perfect for smoking meats next year, which was a major goal of today's work on our competition site.

Any help appreciated; if you want to make fun of me or call me names, I'll tolerate it as long as I get half-decent answer :)

TIA,

Al

Husky 350

Just make a tool from an old scrench:
Tool
huskytool.jpg

Tripped
husky460triped.jpg

Released
husky460released.jpg

AJ

You do not need a special tool or vice grips. Just put the side cover back onto the saw. No it will not go on all the way. You are just looking to line up the front of the side cover (silver shamrock thing) with the grey chain break socket (3 slots the silver sharmrock fits into). You may need to push the grey break handle forward as you put on the side cover. The rear of the cover will not fit as the chain break is engaged, just try to get the front on. Once you have the front shamrock engaged in the grey slots, pull back on the grey chain break handle to unlock the side cover. This whole process should take you less than 15 seconds to complete. If it takes any longer, you are over thinking the process. Good Luck!

You do not need a special tool or vice grips. Just put the side cover back onto the saw. No it will not go on all the way. You are just looking to line up the front of the side cover (silver shamrock thing) with the grey chain break socket (3 slots the silver sharmrock fits into). You may need to push the grey break handle forward as you put on the side cover. The rear of the cover will not fit as the chain break is engaged, just try to get the front on. Once you have the front shamrock engaged in the grey slots, pull back on the grey chain break handle to unlock the side cover. This whole process should take you less than 15 seconds to complete. If it takes any longer, you are over thinking the process. Good Luck!
:agree2:
Yea what he said!!

:cheers: that is right #1, thats how I unlocked mine, after reading his post it dawned on me!

Well, the bad news is, is that I made that mistake.

The good news is: it appears I'm not the only one!

Ok, I'll give the "put it half on" trick again tomorrow and try to de-activate the lock. If that doesn't work, I'll find something to modify to rotate the lock.

I gotta get it up and running tomorrow to cut that pickup load of hickory I got today.

Thanks,

Al

Using the advice above, I was able to unlock the safety in about 5 seconds. About a minute later, the cover was on and I was cutting up the free hickory I got the day before.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Al

Back