Husky 359 Mystery Carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingjib

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well the bar and chains arrived today from Bailey's and are on the saw,only one chain.I've been reading up on the 359 here and before firing it up would like to confirm what carb I have.I can see no markings, #'s etc to tell whether it's a Walbro or Zama. Any hints as to where this info would be on the carb? I also noticed this saw does have the metal clamp on the manifold boot. As this saw is essentially new I am assuming,(I know), it came this way from the factory. Was the Zama carb a factory upgrade on newer saws? This one is a 2008 or 2009 purchased in Canada. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Oh, and a plug for Bailey's. Great service!
Thanks;

Earl

No Made in China that I can see. On the bottom,eh? I guess that means the carb has to come off? I think I'll just run it and if it starts acting up then replace the carb.
Thanks;

Earl

No Made in China that I can see. On the bottom,eh? I guess that means the carb has to come off? I think I'll just run it and if it starts acting up then replace the carb.
Thanks;

Earl

Yes, you have to take the carb off to see the markings on them, not real easy to remove either due to the rear mounts on either side of the carb and then the linkage connections, real tight for space around them also.
Pioneerguy600

The 359 had Walbro HDA series carburetors on them up to 2007. I can't say for sure about later years.

If it’s a Walbro there you should be able to see 19X etched ahead of the H&L screws. If it’s a Zama look for EL42 ahead of the fuel inlet.

The carb sits in the saw with the brand name on the underneath. Get a small flashlight and look on the body of the carb on the same side as the H and L jet screws. If I remember correctly you should see HDA or 199 or both if it is a Walbro. I just bought a 359 in March, a 2008 model, and it had the Walbro. Got a Zama because of poor running issues and that solved it. Great saw now.

Dont have a HDA handy to compare it to ?
post a pic if you cant see anything.

I'd like to find a compleat Walbro carb setup off a 357 or 359. Want to put it on my 346xp.

I was able to find an older HDA 175 on eBay for a decent price. From what I understand the 175 wasn’t afflicted with the same accelerator pump problems as the 191 and 199. It was complete from partition wall to air filter. It found a new home on my 2150 :D

Just went out and looked at my 359, my Walbro that I pulled off has HDA 199B on the jet screw side. If you look below the jet screws you can see the #'s while still on the saw. If you have the ZAMA then as was stated before, you can find that identification in front of the fuel inlet hose barb. I do have a complete walbro carb-sent you a PM.

Look closely at the limiter caps

The Zama limiter caps are Red & White. Their tabs also look more like wings. The Walbro limiter caps are Black & White and have a weird shaped nub that limits the movement.

Yes, you have to take the carb off to see the markings on them, not real easy to remove either due to the rear mounts on either side of the carb and then the linkage connections, real tight for space around them also.
Pioneerguy600

Make that a royal PITA to take out! Arrrg! I have a 2159 that is going to end up as my fathers new to him firewood saw. Give me a 372xp or 385xp to work on. Lots of room for everthing and easy access!

Ok, I went back and had a closer look. It definitely has the EL42 stamped ahead of the fuel inlet and red and white limiter caps. Looks to be the Zama. This appears to be what came from the factory as nothing looks to have been touched. Here are some pics.
IMGP0290.jpg

IMGP0292.jpg

IMGP0293.jpg

IMGP0291.jpg

This saw came from the Canadian Government Crown Assets which auctions off surplus items. It was used for emissions testing and has about 20 hours or less of run time. You can see in the one pic where the test equipment had been clamped to the cylinder head.

Earl

Looks good….since you don’t have a carb change in the foreseeable future I think I’d lose that cat muffler. Maybe even a modded non-cat :D

Latest posts

Back