Husky 372XP or 562 question from a new guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all! I've been a lurker for too long and after scouring the nets, I feel like I have some legitimate questions that I can't find answers to.

A little about me: 45 years old and in pretty decent shape. I grew up cutting wood in the Midwest and promptly installed a freestanding stove in my first house around 2000. I started out using dad's old Poulan, but quickly upgraded to a Stihl ms250. I picked up an additional ms250c on Craigslist for a backup/pinched bar saw. This worked okay and I felt like I was miles ahead over the Poulan. I was cutting around 3-4 true cords a year with this little duo.

About 7 years ago I found myself in a divorce and moving to a warmer climate and I no longer needed a saw to feed a woodstove. I've since remarried and my wife and I have several hundred acres of woods. I purchased a Stihl ms261 to clear trails and hunting lanes and it worked okay. A couple years back, I decided to try my hand at furniture making. I started making live edge (spalted wood) tables for myself and so many friends liked them that I've started to make them for sale in antique stores/galleries. The ms261 really struggled when cutting thick slabs in the 48"+ range, so after pouring through the many threads on this forum, I upgraded to a 372XP and sent the Stihl packing. The big Husky is a beast in the big wood with either the 24" or 28" bar, but it's also a pig to carry around when you aren't cutting the big wood or when trimming trails. It really weighs on me after a couple hours and my back quickly gives out, even to point of spasms. I also find it's an absolute P-I-G when it comes to fuel consumption compared to the Stihl ms261. Lastly and I know this is a minor complaint, but my clothes reek of mix after using the Husky. That never happened with my other saws and I'm wondering if the fuel consumption is due to inefficiency.

So, I am the point of thinking about selling my 372 for something lighter (but still capable) or buying a lightweight bar in an effort to reduce fatigue. The 562XP seems to get very mixed reviews. Some think it can replace the 372 (mostly) while others are quick to point out the many problems that have cropped up.

So my questions are:
*Has Husqvarna ironed out any early teething problems with the 562 XP? Is this saw as durable and reliable as my 372?
*If I decided to sell my 372 with two bars locally on CL or bulletin board, can I expect to get enough money to order a new 562 online? Or at least really close. My 372 is in very good condition and has only been used infrequently for 2 years.
*If I decided to keep the 372, would going to a shorter and lighter weight bar get me down to the same weight as the 562 with it's standard 20" bar?

Thanks!

I would keep the 372 and buy a 545 or 550XP (new) or a 346XP, 353, or 242 (used) for a smaller trail/limb saw. The 372 is too good of a saw for bigger wood and long bars to give up because of a little weight. Definitely need to go with a minimum two saw plan.

Joe

If mine is around 14 lbs ( I think that's what I read here on the thread where guys were weighing them) that would make the 562 around 12 lbs. The real question is how much do the bars weigh and is there enough difference in the Teclite style bars to get me near the same weight as a standard bar equiped 562?

That 2 lbs doesn't sound like much, but I bet it would make a world of difference on my back after several hours.

Don't buy a Techlite, seen too many of them delaminate. I have been told that on the 28"+ bars a lightweight bar is ~ two pounds lighter than a standard bar but have not weighed them for myself. If buying a light bar go with a Tsumura or a Sugi Hara.

Joe

I would keep the 372 and buy a 545 or 550XP (new) or a 346XP, 353, or 242 (used) for a smaller trail/limb saw. The 372 is too good of a saw for bigger wood and long bars to give up because of a little weight. Definitely need to go with a minimum two saw plan.

Joe

Exactly what he said. A 562 has nowhere near the grunt your 372 does with long bars. Sorry, but it doesn't. I would look for another 2.5/3 cube saw like your previous 261 as an addition to your 372. Another option for trail clearing would be to buy a brush saw so you can stand up while clearing the small stuff.

Also, I'm not you, but methinks if you are at the point of having back spasms after a few hours of running a 16 pound chainsaw you are either not in as good shape as you think you are, running the saw improperly, or have some other back problem you may need to have checked out by someone who signs their name followed by an "M.D."

Joe

Yeah I keep thinking about a 550XP and also keep reading that is the best 2 saw combo, but I really don't have a way to justify it to my wife. Heck, we don't even burn wood except at campfires or in my grill...lol. Money is certainly a factor and I kind of went all out when I bought the 372. I call it "Excaliber" and I hear AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" in my head when that engine first starts up. :dancing:

I just think the 562 would be a great "almost a 372" at a whole lot less weight.

Buy used, 353, 346, 42, 242, all can be had for half or a little less than half of a new 550XP.

Joe

Keep the 372 and get a smaller Hot Rod like the 550xp. Amazing combo. The 562s are great when they run right. I've had numerous carb problems, bought new carbs, etc. But when the 562 runs right it's great!

The 550xp is a really nice saw. I have two. I also have two 562s and two 372s. Stick with the 372 and get a Hot Rod I say :) Don't worry about the wife, just show her your happiness!

I have to agree with what others have said------keep the 372 and get something smaller for clearing trails and lighter use.
One saw really cant do all things well or should I say one saw isn't ideal for all things.

And then there is the fact of needing another saw to cut you out of a bad pinch or situation with a saw stuck.

Need two quality saws IMO. A really bad azz set up would be the 562 and 372 as they wear the same bars.....and use the same chains. A money saving thing to sell the wifey on. :)

Get a smaller bar for the 372 for most of your use. I run 22" on both my 181 and 298xp. Go with even an 18 or 20, keep the big bar for when you really need it. I think taking the weight off the front makes for a much better balanced saw, making the 372 feel like a smaller saw, and it will rip with a shorter bar

A cheap laminated bar in a shorter length is an easy way to work it out for yourself. Fancy lightweight bars and cheap laminated bars are close enough in weight to make the comparison without spending enough money to have picked up a cheap, small, second hand saw.

Definitely keep the 372. I think you'd kick yourself for selling it down the road.
562 vs 372 maybe equal (close) in speed with up to 20" bars, 16" wood. If you're running longer bars, 372 all the way.
If you're doing brush/trail work, try an 18" bar on the 372 with an 8 tooth sprocket.
Also bend at the knees, not your back.

Definitely keep the 372. I think you'd kick yourself for selling it down the road.
562 vs 372 maybe equal (close) in speed with up to 20" bars, 16" wood. If you're running longer bars, 372 all the way.
If you're doing brush/trail work, try an 18" bar on the 372 with an 8 tooth sprocket.
Also bend at the knees, not your back.

I tore my knees up playing ball a long time ago and had to have surgery in college. I have to consciously force myself to bend.

To a man, every poster has recommended keeping the 372 instead of replacing it with the lighter, smaller, smoother, more fuel efficient and more advanced 562. That says something. I'm gonna have to rethink the idea of switching to the 562.

Has anyone weighed their 372 with a light weight 20" bar like the Teclite? How close is it to the 562 with standard 20"?

I tore my knees up playing ball a long time ago and had to have surgery in college. I have to consciously force myself to bend.

To a man, every poster has recommended keeping the 372 instead of replacing it with the lighter, smaller, smoother, more fuel efficient and more advanced 562. That says something. I'm gonna have to rethink the idea of switching to the 562.

Has anyone weighed their 372 with a light weight 20" bar like the Teclite? How close is it to the 562 with standard 20"?

You'll keep getting versions of the same advice. A good 50cc saw will do 90% of your work and be MUCH easier on your body. But when you need a longer bar a good 60cc saw is marginal.

A 50cc saw and a 70cc saw is vastly preferable to even the best 60cc saw.

You'll keep getting versions of the same advice. A good 50cc saw will do 90% of your work and be MUCH easier on your body. But when you need a longer bar a good 60cc saw is marginal.

A 50cc saw and a 70cc saw is vastly preferable to even the best 60cc saw.
I agree 100%. No 60cc saws in my arsenal.

Back