Husky 372XP or 562 question from a new guy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get yourself a 395xp. Lug that cinder block around for a couple of months to build up your chainsaw muscles. That 372 will feel like a fuel sippin’ toy in comparison.

I have about 6 or 7 372xp(s) in some form or another and 5 or 6 50cc saws. The 562xp is the saw I will always pick up first. It is an angry little saw and it just gets mad at the wood. The harder you run it, the madder it gets. Great tool and it is really a joy to run.

I tore my knees up playing ball a long time ago and had to have surgery in college. I have to consciously force myself to bend.
I'm 24 years old and I don't have any lingering or old injuries and I have to consciously force myself to bend properly too.

Yeah I keep thinking about a 550XP and also keep reading that is the best 2 saw combo, but I really don't have a way to justify it to my wife. Heck, we don't even burn wood except at campfires or in my grill...lol. Money is certainly a factor and I kind of went all out when I bought the 372. I call it "Excaliber" and I hear AC/DC's "Thunderstruck" in my head when that engine first starts up. :dancing:

I just think the 562 would be a great "almost a 372" at a whole lot less weight.
Get a wood stove. Instant justification for saw purchases. And your doing it for the "family". Win Win:numberone:

Get yourself a 395xp. Lug that cinder block around for a couple of months to build up your chainsaw muscles. That 372 will feel like a fuel sippin’ toy in comparison.

I have about 6 or 7 372xp(s) in some form or another and 5 or 6 50cc saws. The 562xp is the saw I will always pick up first. It is an angry little saw and it just gets mad at the wood. The harder you run it, the madder it gets. Great tool and it is really a joy to run.

It's all relative, I agree. My buddy, who owns a Stihl ms250, stopped over last month when I was running my 372 and gave it a shot. He couldn't believe how heavy it was compared to his Stihl. He works a pretty physical construction job. "Jeez dude, this thing is a freak'in pig". I laughed and told him that it was wearing the "lighter weight" 24" bar.

See, that last part you wrote is what keeps me thinking about the 562. This particular thread excepted, most owners sing its praises and act as if it was a divine tool gifted from Zeus.

Something I didn't add in my overly long OP, is that the farm where I cut most of my good wood for projects is in the process of being sold. By the end of summer, I won't have access to the "big wood" that I have been cutting. Most of the trees we have here on our own land are 12"-16" pines with some larger hickories and oaks. I suppose I could work with them, but they really don't have the same qualities I'm looking for like the highly figured maple I have been cutting does. I've got a couple sheds full right now drying, but I could always use more.

I have run a number of saws in my days. The 562xp really impressed me the first time I ran it and it continues to impress every time I pick it up. Would I trade a 372xp for one….never! The 372xp is simply a way better built saw, it has more power and parts (nos or aftermarket) are everywhere.
The 562 to me is just like the ms200t. They are throw away saws. Run the snot out of them and when they start running poorly or something caps out, throw it up on ebay and buy another. Money makers. That said, I was an early adopter of the 562xp and mine is still going strong despite multiple users. I personally, have not been overly kind to it.

Most of what I cut is 12-16" pine, spruce, fir and birch. None of these will ever be a challenge for a 562. I have a 560, the same as a 562 just with the small bar mount, and it would be the last saw I'd part with. If I had to, I'd go without my 40, 50 and 70cc saws and be happy enough doing everything with the 560.

I know the 372 has a cult-like following for good reason, but I think you'd probably find the 562 would do 95% of what you want to do very well, while still managing that last 5% when push comes to shove. Is it worth having money tied up in a 372's extra weight and capacity when you might have a better tool for your purpose in a 562?

Only you can answer the question. If you want and can afford two saws, add a 562/555/550/545. All are solidly built with good features and less weight than the 372.

I have run a number of saws in my days. The 562xp really impressed me the first time I ran it and it continues to impress every time I pick it up. Would I trade a 372xp for one….never! The 372xp is simply a way better built saw, it has more power and parts (nos or aftermarket) are everywhere.
The 562 to me is just like the ms200t. They are throw away saws. Run the snot out of them and when they start running poorly or something caps out, throw it up on ebay and buy another. Money makers. That said, I was an early adopter of the 562xp and mine is still going strong despite multiple users. I personally, have not been overly kind to it.

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone describe the 562 this way. Do any other 562 owners share the same opinion about this saw?

It's difficult for me to wrap my head around Husqvarna building the 562 to a lower quality level than the 372.

NC cutter, are you milling with this saw? Freehand ripping, or something similar?
I've done some freehand milling, but primarily cutting gigantic cookies which are then planed into table tops. The straighter the cut, the less work I have to put into planing

Wow, that's the first time I've ever heard anyone describe the 562 this way. Do any other 562 owners share the same opinion about this saw?

It's difficult for me to wrap my head around Husqvarna building the 562 to a lower quality level than the 372.
It's not really a "quality" difference...hard to describe but you know it when you feel it. It's the feeling of picking up the 372 and instantly you know your holding a quality tool that will last years....now pick up the 562 and it just doesn't give that same feeling

The 562 has had many quality control issues in its short life, and this has tainted its reputation with many.
The 372 has had all its bugs worked out, although I don't recall many atm.

Basically the 562 is a very light saw for the power it produces, and this makes most wary of how durable it will be long term.

As you seem to be quite determined to get more feedback I will describe my experiences - hopefully to give some more insight to the advice I have given.

I have several saws, I am an employer and have 3 of us cutting regularly. My work isn't typical of most commercial users here - they are mostly used for killing feral trees and cutting them up to put through a chipper. I do a little climbing and arborist work, and I collect firewood for myself. I'm also a bit of a chainsaw nut.
This means I will buy a saw if I have a big enough job for it - even if I have one of a size nearly correct for the job.
I have a small gaggle of 50cc saws. They they get the most work.
I have a 562 - that had a failure early in its life and the top end replaced with a ported one. It is an amazing saw and I use it often.
I have a couple of 70cc saws, but none that really float my boat.
I have a husky 385 - just imagine a slightly bigger 372.

The 562 is a great saw when I need to do a lot of walking and felling, it's great in a tree, basically it's great whenever I am happy to give up some performance in lieu of a slightly lighter package.

Whenever I have the option though I will always choose 2 saws. A husky 346 and the 385. The small saw does the bulk of the work, but nothing beats a bigger saw for pulling a long bar, cutting bigger wood, or generally getting stuff done and back home.

99% of what I can do with the 562 I can do with a 50cc saw and do it much longer, and it's much easier on my body. Nothing, however, takes the place of a bigger saw when it's needed.
A 372 is about the minimum for a "bigger saw", and it's what you already have.

Things may be different in your local market, but the cost difference for me to get rid of a second hand 372 and buy a new 562 is the same sort of dollars as a cheap small saw. Dolmar 421, red max 4500, second hand stihl 026, husky 350, etc, etc. I would always recommend a two saw plan over a good 60cc saw - even though if I was forced to have one saw, that is what it would be.

Also, you seem quite focussed on the option of a lightweight bar on the 372. The flash lightweight bars are great, but they are really only financially sensible in heavy use. A cheap laminated bar lasts years in private use, and at a fraction of the cost, they are a much cheaper way to try a short, light bar on your saw if this is the direction you choose to go.

The only other point that hasn't been discussed is the fact that you may have some issue with your 372. If it's a 372xt, it should run just as cleanly as any saw made, and perhaps you would like to discuss this - there are plenty of people here who will help you ensure it is running and tuned to its potential.

The 562 has had many quality control issues in its short life, and this has tainted its reputation with many.
The 372 has had all its bugs worked out, although I don't recall many atm.

Basically the 562 is a very light saw for the power it produces, and this makes most wary of how durable it will be long term.

As you seem to be quite determined to get more feedback I will describe my experiences - hopefully to give some more insight to the advice I have given.

I have several saws, I am an employer and have 3 of us cutting regularly. My work isn't typical of most commercial users here - they are mostly used for killing feral trees and cutting them up to put through a chipper. I do a little climbing and arborist work, and I collect firewood for myself. I'm also a bit of a chainsaw nut.
This means I will buy a saw if I have a big enough job for it - even if I have one of a size nearly correct for the job.
I have a small gaggle of 50cc saws. They they get the most work.
I have a 562 - that had a failure early in its life and the top end replaced with a ported one. It is an amazing saw and I use it often.
I have a couple of 70cc saws, but none that really float my boat.
I have a husky 385 - just imagine a slightly bigger 372.

The 562 is a great saw when I need to do a lot of walking and felling, it's great in a tree, basically it's great whenever I am happy to give up some performance in lieu of a slightly lighter package.

Whenever I have the option though I will always choose 2 saws. A husky 346 and the 385. The small saw does the bulk of the work, but nothing beats a bigger saw for pulling a long bar, cutting bigger wood, or generally getting stuff done and back home.

99% of what I can do with the 562 I can do with a 50cc saw and do it much longer, and it's much easier on my body. Nothing, however, takes the place of a bigger saw when it's needed.
A 372 is about the minimum for a "bigger saw", and it's what you already have.

Things may be different in your local market, but the cost difference for me to get rid of a second hand 372 and buy a new 562 is the same sort of dollars as a cheap small saw. Dolmar 421, red max 4500, second hand stihl 026, husky 350, etc, etc. I would always recommend a two saw plan over a good 60cc saw - even though if I was forced to have one saw, that is what it would be.

Also, you seem quite focussed on the option of a lightweight bar on the 372. The flash lightweight bars are great, but they are really only financially sensible in heavy use. A cheap laminated bar lasts years in private use, and at a fraction of the cost, they are a much cheaper way to try a short, light bar on your saw if this is the direction you choose to go.

The only other point that hasn't been discussed is the fact that you may have some issue with your 372. If it's a 372xt, it should run just as cleanly as any saw made, and perhaps you would like to discuss this - there are plenty of people here who will help you ensure it is running and tuned to its potential.

:rolleyes: Fantastic Post!:clap:

I'll throw in my 2 cents. I'm a homeowner that cuts 6ish cords a year for my boiler, although this year it has been closer to 20. I have a 550xp, a 562, and a dolmar 7900. Ever since I got the dolmar I hardly run the 562. When there is small wood to cut and limbing I grab the 550. If it is too big for the 550 I usually say F it, grab the big saw. I'm thinking of selling the 562 because it gets so little use. The 550 gets the most use.

Latest posts

Back