Husky clutch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My2cents

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dennis, I would appreciate a Pic of your homemade husky clutch remover. I haven't seen the offical husky verson either. Anybody else have a pic of the tool for this clutch. I took a brief look at the clutch there were two slight wedge depressions. not much area for a tool to "bite."

So... with my impact wrench "clockwise"pressing firmly onto the socket and clutch... zap... and its loose. Any need for a rope in the cylinder? Is the clutch on very tight? I'm afraid the socket is going to "skid off? I'm I being over cautious?

My2cents, if you make the ears long enough there is not much chance that the tool will skid off. The ears bear on the halves of the clutch shoes themselves, not in the little depressions where you could use some sort of punch or screwdriver. Does that help any?

Russ

Does Husky make any saws with the key cast integrally in the "flywheel", thus possibly at danger of being compromised by use of an impact on an unstopped piston?

Glen

An unstopped piston is desireable, so the impact wrench is need-
ed, but the Poulan tools will work on most saws, especially the
Orange Poulans.
A cast in key in the flywheel is a ruse used by a few manufacturers, to sell flywheels for $80 a pop, so any
company that tries that tactic is guilty of scumbuggery,
preying on the poor fools that are desperate to buy one.
But I digress.

Lambert is kind of cute in the flesh, especially in his TEXAS
boots. He also is quite the big tipper.
I have been to the mountain, and he is shorter than I thought he
was.
He drives a big 4-wheel drive truck, but still needs tow-trucks
to move about the country.
When he posts the pics, I am the fat ugly one!
His Wild Thing was longer than my HUsq/err/Poulan Pro.
But I digress.
He gave me a Madsens hat, so I am happy, but I am always
quite happy.

Glen.....Most of the new elux saws...including the 372/2171, 385/2186 have the cast in key...you don't run the risk of busting them unless the nut on the flywheel is loose. They are solid enough that it isn't a worry.

Fish...I am sorry...I gave Llamabert your home number......

At first glance I thought you were refering to modifying a 2 3/4" socket to line up with the clutch depressions. Now I see.

Thanks.

I am glad you gave him my number, he payed for the meal and
gave the waitress a $15 tip, what class!

The man is a class act, he even bought a pallet of our Poulans
and a case of Orange paint, said something about selling
modified Huskies on E-Bay.

But his Wild thing was longer, so I was speechless.

The man is taller in person, he made me look small.

Yeah, but was that $15 Canadian?  What's that come to down south here?  Like $1.48?

Dennis, I recall stihltech cautioning against impacting the clutches on the 290/310/390 for the frailty of the cast-in-key.  I don't know how much it takes to spin the journal in the counterweight on those built-up cranks, but I'd guessed maybe the sacrificial key was to ensure it didn't happen. Thanks for the info, though; it's always good to know these things.

Glen

15 bucks huh?...that is equal to about 12 usd nowadays..our dollar is climbing...I half expected a phone call from you two while you were out gallavanting.

Glen...I can't honestly say regarding those particular models...having never worked on them. I do know that I have been impacting clutches for years and the only time I ever broke one of the cast keys was when I didn't have the flywheel nut on tight. The only other instance I know of is on the 066 clutch, if you impact them on too hard they will crack. I have seen several cases of that.

Dennis, Why would you tighten a clutch any more than snug? I'm figuring the Chain cutting resistance is all that is required. I'm I missing something?

I typically just zap it on with my airgun and when it stops its tight enough for me....(my airgun can be regulated for pressure)....If you have ever seen a clutch come off on decelleration, you will understand the importance of it being tight enough....the clutch comes off the saw...(when the bar and chain are off)..sits there spinning in the dirt until it catches traction, then shoots off at about 80 miles an hour until it hits something and explodes (blows apart) on impact. kinda cool to see...unless you are in its path.

Sounds like a hoot.  I think you ought to set up some targets and to the "clutch toss" at the Revival...

Back