husky cuts 2-3" sideways, then binds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The corners are rounded off on the right side of the chain. Its fairly obvious that this one has hit something pretty hard.
y4PDBpPh.png
I'm uploading some pictures I took with my iPhone, much better images. the cutters are all radiused at the corner, on both the new and used chain

I opened a new chain and layed the old chain on top of it. they look very similar in sharpness. IMG_2519.JPGIMG_2522.JPGIMG_2520.JPGIMG_2543.JPGIMG_2542.JPGIMG_2538.JPG

these were taken with an iPhone that's a lot easier to focus up cost for me.

what else would y'all like me to get pictures of ?

if you look closer there are some numbers on the guide portion of the links stamped "33" . I didn't realize it when I was taking the pictures, but when I zoomed in your can see metal that the 33 displaced is wiped away. that's cool, didn't expect to see that.

The chain is a Husqvarna SP33G if its narrow kerf.
In that picture the side of the cutter looks like it has hit something. Find out what caused this damage and you'll find out why the saw is cutting crooked.
zgj5Vke.png

As asked before, what was it in the picture of the log that was referred to as being responsible for damaging to the 3 chains?

The chain is a Husqvarna SP33G if its narrow kerf.
In that picture the side of the cutter looks like it has hit something. Find out what caused this damage and you'll find out why the saw is cutting crooked.
zgj5Vke.png

As asked before, what was it in the picture of the log that was referred to as being responsible for damaging to the 3 chains?

I'm not sure I understand the question.

all three chains did the same thing:
cut fine, just dropping through the tree line it was nothing, then after 8-10 cuts they turned sideways and bound.

but....

the electric saw kept cutting until the battery was depleted.

that's why I'm trying to get better pictures of the chain, old vs new, so y'all can see differences. honestly the old chain is in pretty good shape compared to new... I really have to get close and nit picky to find any wear on it.

the logs were all tossed in the burn pile last week. I still have half a tree to cut up and burn, so I'm hoping to get back with this husky sorted out and just drop through it like the electric saw did. the trunk is pretty thick (20") and I hope I don't have to wait for recharges in between

Occam's Razor...
The most common reason for the symptoms you are experiencing is dirt, contaminated wood, or foreign objects damaging the chain.
Testing on different wood would be my first move, especially from the pics of the chain and the wood you are cutting.

same results on pine. the cheapo harbor freight saw dropped through it, the husky went sideways. that was the third chain/bar

same results on pine. the cheapo harbor freight saw dropped through it, the husky went sideways. that was the third chain/bar
You have been given some good advice on this thread about the chain being affected by a foreign object.

it doesnt take much, no idea why the other saw didnt have an issue, maybe it just was fortunate that it didnt hit what the other chains hit.

post up some clear close ups of the damaged, crooked cutting chains again please.

lets start with the most common, easy to diagnose problems first and then we can get into if its a bad batch of chains later.....................much later.

You have been given some good advice on this thread about the chain being affected by a foreign object.

it doesnt take much, no idea why the other saw didnt have an issue, maybe it just was fortunate that it didnt hit what the other chains hit.

post up some clear close ups of the damaged, crooked cutting chains again please.

lets start with the most common, easy to diagnose problems first and then we can get into if its a bad batch of chains later.....................much later.

those pictures are from the chain that cut sideways and the new, unused chain

Is it possible there is something making contact with the chain on the saw? I had an echo that did this. Chain brake mounting screws would loosen up and Let the brake slip off the clutch drum. Then one side of cutters would hit the brake band, get dull and cut crooked in a log. Worth a check.

those pictures are from the chain that cut sideways and the new, unused chain

And the cutters on the rhs of one of the chains where the picture is vertical shows damage to the cutting edge of the tooth, as what has been said multiple times before, fix the damage to the cutting tooth, set your rakers correctly, and it will cut fine untill it encounters some more debrits that damage it and then it requires sharpening again.

can you post up some clearer photos of the rh cutters please, taken from top/ and sides, this will confim it.

if the other saw cuts fine, it only means that it didnt hit what the other chain hit.

Is it possible there is something making contact with the chain on the saw? I had an echo that did this. Chain brake mounting screws would loosen up and Let the brake slip off the clutch drum. Then one side of cutters would hit the brake band, get dull and cut crooked in a log. Worth a check.

I'll check it out.

1 And the cutters on the rhs of one of the chains where the picture is vertical shows damage to the cutting edge of the tooth, as what has been said multiple times before, fix the damage to the cutting tooth, set your rakers correctly, and it will cut fine untill it encounters some more debrits that damage it and then it requires sharpening again.

2 can you post up some clearer photos of the rh cutters please, taken from top/ and sides, this will confim it.

3 if the other saw cuts fine, it only means that it didnt hit what the other chain hit.

1 three chains acted exactly the same way... in different areas of the tree and another pine log that was away from this tree. cut 8-10 times then poof... I don't think this is from contact if stuff in the tree.

2 uploading now

3 it would be really hard to hit an object with one saw multiple times, then completely miss it with another multiple times. I'm not saying it's impossible, but very unlikely. pleat understand I'm not discounting your opinion about the damaged cutters at all, but what on the saw can cause damage this fast ?

I snapped some more photos ... this is half of the bad chain IMG_2576.JPGIMG_2581.JPGIMG_2580.JPGIMG_2579.JPGIMG_2578.JPGIMG_2577.JPGIMG_2585.JPGIMG_2584.JPGIMG_2583.JPGIMG_2582.JPG

Ok lots of pictures of the lhs cutter, but I asked for top, and both sides of the rh cutter re pictures.

what we want to see is the nature of the damage to the tooth, so we need pics of the top of the cutter, and where it then curves back down on the side/ see the hook of the tooth, good clear, close pics of that can help explain what may have caused the damage.

Tin Knocker had a good suggestion, I see what you mean re questioning if its the debrits in the wood causing the issue, then lets move to the next step, and see if anything is hitting the chain from the saw as per Tin Knockers good suggestion.

Edited to add.

ok, pic 2584, when you zoom in (takes ages on this dial up speed connect here), shows a "rounded" area of damage on the edge of the cutter, almost like its hit a rounded head of a screw, I cant see clearly on other pics of the rh cutters to see if they have this damage too.
It may just be some swarf, so can you clean the chain, so were not jumping at shadows, or bits of fluff etc.

Ok lots of pictures of the lhs cutter, but I asked for top, and both sides of the rh cutter re pictures.

what we want to see is the nature of the damage to the tooth, so we need pics of the top of the cutter, and where it then curves back down on the side/ see the hook of the tooth, good clear, close pics of that can help explain what may have caused the damage.

Tin Knocker had a good suggestion, I see what you mean re questioning if its the debrits in the wood causing the issue, then lets move to the next step, and see if anything is hitting the chain from the saw as per Tin Knockers good suggestion.

Edited to add.

ok, pic 2584, when you zoom in (takes ages on this dial up speed connect here), shows a "rounded" area of damage on the edge of the cutter, almost like its hit a rounded head of a screw, I cant see clearly on other pics of the rh cutters to see if they have this damage too.
It may just be some swarf, so can you clean the chain, so were not jumping at shadows, or bits of fluff etc.

I think I found the problem. fresh damage on this plate says something bad happened recently

I think this is what Tin knocker was referring to ?

Attachments

• IMG_2605_1_1.JPG
    IMG_2605_1_1.JPG
    339.3 KB · Views: 51
Now were getting somewhere.
could have had a bit of rock stuck in there hitting the next chain and the next chain etc.
still need pics of the chain as previously requested.

here's the top
Now were getting somewhere.
could have had a bit of rock stuck in there hitting the next chain and the next chain etc.
still need pics of the chain as previously requested.

i can't get any more pictures to attach. it's hanging up

Latest posts

Back