husky353 vs.stihl038

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psych038

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
just kinda curiouse what everyone thinks. i love my 038 stihl, but dad just got a hell of a buy on a like new husky 353. i used them both on an elm tree that is about 24 inches wide. i hate to say it but i really liked the husky its light( but also mostly made of plastic:( ) and seems to rev very quick and have lots of power. my 038 still did a fine job especially considering it is about 25 years old and could probly use a little tuning (still alittle fat from this winter). the still also started much easier after hot. i'm sure this is a ford vs chevy type arguement but i was just kinda curiouse about the pros and cons of each saw. regardless i doubt i put down my stihl.

Stihl, it's no contest against an 038.
The Stihl is truly an engineering masterpiece compared to that magnesium plastic cased hosevana.
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

that 038 is a hell of a saw.

but if i was cuttin' all day,i'd rather have the 353 in my hand.it would have to be one hell of a deal to get me to buy the 353 over the 50cc 346xp though.

Guys who run the 353 say its more forgiving to work with (slower, but wider power range), as the 346 is peaky-er (high reving). Wouldnt mind picking up a 353 just to try out this hypothesis (then I'll also need the 346 :clap: ).

Both Husky and Stihl are top notch saws.

If you decide to go Husky you should consider the 346xp ne. I looked on Ebay and they had a new 346xp ne with an 18" bar for $505.00 shipped. A new 353 with an 18" bar was about $470.00 shipped. With a 16" bar it was $10.00 cheaper.

With a difference of $30.00 I would go with the 346xp. I haven't used one but if you do a search you will find rave reviews.

Danny

Can't seem to decide what 50cc is it going to be :chainsaw: . Leaning towards the Husqvarna 346/Jonsered 2153, though the Dolmar 5100 is a well rep'd saw....or maybe a Stihl ? Decisions, decisions.Thankfully all my wood has been "rounded" up and awaiting the splitter, so no real need for it yet (YET!). I wish I had a chance to run one for the day in firewood, but most have the Rancher. Ran a 346x(oe) for a little, but I like to put it through the paces before purchase.

i think i will stick with the stihl. my 038 sat for about 15+ years before i stole it from dad. i dumped the gas out put new in and cut about 4-5 cords of wood with it last year. oh i guess i did have to replace a rotten vent hose other than that shes great.
as for the 353 husky... it seems to be a pretty good saw. it was a husqvarna dealer demonstration saw. when dad got it i think it had made about 10 cuts, looks like brand new. its a 2000 model and i believe he gave $125 for it. he just bought it to turn a buck.

My boss bought the 2152 (Jonsered version of the 353) with a 20" b/c with 2 extra chains shipped to his door for $387. Last I looked at that site, they are completely out of stock on all Jonsered saws. He seems to really like it even though I recommended it with a 16" b/c.

If I get the 346/2153 it will be a 16 or 18 inch bar (What do you think?). Got my Baileys catalog today :clap: and they have some good prices on B+C combos, as well as chain. Whats their shipping prices like?

Whoops, wifey says 400 plus?!!!!-- You already have a "lumberjack saw" (my 372:) ). Guess it will have to be a 353/2152 (< $400 delivered ?). I know not to argue with her, cuz if I do, she'll be watching my toy purchases with "great scrutiny" :monkey: . Any more personal recollections of these saws?

I cannot comment on the husky as I have not used that saw. But I had a 038 super for many years. It was destroyed in hurricane Ivan. I really used the heck out of that saw and it is one of my stihl favorites.

I don't mind Stihl products, but my dealer/parts/service guy(s)are tools:dizzy: . You all know what that means.....shop somwhere else! Thats why I run Husky/Echo saws- the other dealer (Husky/Echo/RedMax) is a pleasant guy to deal with and works with you.

The Dolmar 5100S should be a serious contender to look at. Nice saw at a friendly price. Otherwise the 346 is a good choice and responds good to woods porting.

No dealer support here though, and the good husky/echo/red max dealer I mentioned in a previous post is about 6 miles round trip. Maybe at Spike60 GTG in Oct I'll run one (5100) and that will be the next CAD ispired purchase :chainsaw: .

I've had a 353 for about 4 years now. It's worked fine with one exception - I've been chasing an oiler issue for several months now. I'm sure if I had just brought it in to the dealer the problem would be solved, but I've been trying to figure it out for myself. There has been an oil pump/seal update - I imagine the newer saws have that from the factory. The other issue is the plastic drive gear which seems prone to stripping. I don't know of any better replacement part for that, but the "problem-avoidance trick" there seems to be running with lighter weight oil in the Winter.

If you do a search on "Husky 353" I imagine you'll find a bunch of hits.

Back