Husqvarna 346 xp vs echo 501sx wich one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The owner of the saw (who ported it as well) said that it was ok for a couple of cuts.After 5-6 cuts the bar was getting a little dry.He was just torture testing the saw,not that he was going to run a 32" on a 50cc saw all day.Just to show the power of the ported 490 and that these Echo engines (including the 60cc siblings) may luck the crazy rpms but have a lot of torque.All these Echos run Mikuni oil pumps,considering my KTM supermoto,these pumps must be good.

Even with the oiler turned all the way down, my 490 slings plenty of oil off a 20" bar.
An extra bar and chain in 16" would be nice, to make it feel like a smaller saw. But I doubt that I would try longer than the 20 it came with.

The 346xp cut faster than the echo. A five year warranty. I don’t know how many cords you cut with the 346. My two new 575/385 took cutting ten cords each to break in. I’m thinking the husky has tighter tolarences. The difference in performance after breaking in is like night and day.
Thanks another one on my wish list.

Exactly putting long bars on small cc saws hurts them. I had a 240/16” bar, a 266 /16”. 18” bar and a 2100/ with 16”/18”/20” /24” bars depends what I’m cutting. Today my 575/28” bar and 385/32” bar. The 240sg was great for limbing.

Likewise, "testing" saws in tiny wood is verging on idiocy. One that comes to the mind is the 500i against a 395xp in 10" wood on the tube recently. If anyone had to watch something like this to find out who won you should just find another occupation. Obviously on small loads the higher RPM saw will win. This most certainly does not mean it's more powerful or even faster. 80cc (500i) in 10" wood for testing is ********. Likewise, im fairly tired of people downing others working up to a really large bar for testing Yes we know it doesn't belong on there, it's testing. AND it's still a great demonstration of power. Put up or shut up.

Furthermore, I'd like to start a trend where testing a certain class of saw should be standardized to dead middle of the bar selection for that class saw as a industry whole. In other words, if 60cc pro saw manufacturers say 20" to 28", 24" should be the test media. I mean it's a no brainer that the higher RPM saw will always win with short bars, that's not necessarily real life and its not necessarily an indication of power but more of RPM.

I think it depends on the diameter of the trees first, dont over bar the saw in softer skinny wood. But I can’t see using a smaller power head and making a cut from both sides because you don’t have a longer bar or bigger saw. I was there in the beginning. I beat my craftsman saws to death. Sold the wood they cut and bought Husqvarnas.

I think the main thing that’s overlooked is matching the power head to the proper bar length to the diameter of the wood your cutting. My 266 with a 18” bar is about right. Going longer with the 570/575/385 no problem.

I ran my 2100 8 tooth, 404” chain 16” bar the rakers at .040/.050” that was setup for the local fairs for speed cutting logging/ bucking firewood. With 15” oak trees she was a beast. The saw showed no mercy I pity the rain forest. The bigger saw wins. From standing timber 15” oak trees to on the ground bucked up it was 50 minutes per cord. That was 10 degrees outside that 2100 was smoking and I didn’t break a sweat. My 266 could do it but not as fast.

Do you know how many guys who wanted to cut trees with me, that lasted one or two days and quit. One said it was husky saw that was the difference he had a little popular. He bought a husky 480cd and still couldn’t keep up.

The forest ranger put me and another cutter to clean up a logging site with tops on the ground, when the other guy seen me cutting he ran to the nearby Husqvarna dealer(my buddy) and told him I’m an Animal he needed a husky saw because I’m taking all the wood. Time is money. It was cut eight cords and get out. I wasted no time.

Some folks are so focused on power they forget about handling, ease of use, parts availability, durability,etc, etc..

The most powerful saw in a class is not necessarily the best in class, not by a long shot. If that were the case, Dolmar would win just about everything.

:laugh:

I could throw the 2100/25 pound saw around. I could pick up 400 pound parts and assemble them on a machine. I’m no light weight. Once I got limbered up it was over.

Never log a full day after being away from it. I worked two half days limbering up. Then the third day pour it on, otherwise I pulled muscles. It was the heathiest I ever was.

I think it depends on the diameter of the trees first, dont over bar the saw in softer skinny wood. But I can’t see using a smaller power head and making a cut from both sides because you don’t have a longer bar or bigger saw. I was there in the beginning. I beat my craftsman saws to death. Sold the wood they cut and bought Husqvarnas.

I think the main thing that’s overlooked is matching the power head to the proper bar length to the diameter of the wood your cutting. My 266 with a 18” bar is about right. Going longer with the 570/575/385 no problem.
If you already run the saw and prove it with "normal" bars what's left as far as testing goes? Or is it that it bothers you there are more aspects to engine power then screaming RPM? It takes power to move a chain, the longer the chain the more power in likewise bigger wood. If this wasn't the case there wouldn't be saws like the 880, 090 or 3120. If a saw pulls a bar much longer then it's competitors in that class it is more powerful. It's that plane and simple.

S
Some folks are so focused on power they forget about handling, ease of use, parts availability, durability,etc, etc..

The most powerful saw in a class is not necessarily the best in class, not by a long shot. If that were the case, Dolmar would win just about everything.

:laugh:
Shame makita is no longer developing gas saws. Aka dolmar.

Let me just go ahead and throw this out there. I don't know about the other size classes, but in 60cc there is no other saw, not dolmar, certainly not the 562xp I also own, or anything else that will pull the bar the echo 620 will. Prove me wrong, please. I'll send you my 562xp as a gift. I've tested the 32 on it, without being gentle. Hard wood, soft, noodling.... It doesn't even come close to bogging and takes no effort to keep it going at that length. It can without a doubt go bigger. 20", 24", 28" and 32" all seem the same buried. That's power.
I'll be waiting.

Let me just go ahead and throw this out there. I don't know about the other size classes, but in 60cc there is no other saw, not dolmar, certainly not the 562xp I also own, or anything else that will pull the bar the echo 620 will. Prove me wrong, please. I'll send you my 562xp as a gift. I've tested the 32 on it, without being gentle. Hard wood, soft, noodling.... It doesn't even come close to bogging and takes no effort to keep it going at that length. It can without a doubt go bigger. 20", 24", 28" and 32" all seem the same buried. That's power.
I'll be waiting.

Latest posts

Back