Husqvarna 346XP verses Stihl 260 plastic threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently purchased 4 similar series Husqvarna saws. 2 350's, 346XP, and 353. I am disgusted by the amount of stripped plastic threads I have found. Does the 026 pro, MS260, or MS261 have metal screws in plastic threads holding critical parts? 1 350 was next to new and didn't find problems. The next 3 saws had several loose screws. I have read on this site how superior the spring type isolation is, but after seeing it I'm afraid they sacrificed life. The 50, 51, and 55 didn't have problems with stripped A/V mounts and I never had a stripped screw in a fuel tank. I even have a stripped thread in an A/V spring. The brass inserts are too high priced. $6 for a $.57 part.

I have a Stihl 026 with a stripped thread in the magnesium case.

It didn't come from being tightened too tight. It happened because of some sort of thread locker that Stihl used and it stripped out the magnesium when the screw was removed.

only plastic threads on a ms260 are going in to the rear handle no stripped threads here and ive had 4 of these, only problem ive had is the chain brake bolt snaps with hard use....easy fix though remove with vise grips and thread in a new screw:msp_thumbup:

I have a Stihl 026 with a stripped thread in the magnesium case.

It didn't come from being tightened too tight. It happened because of some sort of thread locker that Stihl used and it stripped out the magnesium when the screw was removed.

I have seen that in the past on other equipment. Someone uses the wrong Loctite. It happens at the factory, I know, I work at a factory.

only plastic threads on a ms260 are going in to the rear handle no stripped threads here and ive had 4 of these, only problem ive had is the chain brake bolt snaps with hard use....easy fix though remove with vise grips and thread in a new screw:msp_thumbup:

That's the kind of information I'm looking for. I think I went the wrong direction and may have to go back to Stihl, or the older Huskys. Are there plastic threads on the intake or carb area?

I've never had any stripped threads on any of my Husky's. :msp_confused:

Have any of them vibrated loose? Have you checked the tightness of the screws that hold the A/V spring to the fuel tank?

Have any of them vibrated loose? Have you checked the tightness of the screws that hold the A/V spring to the fuel tank?

Never have any vibrate lose, yes I do check screws occasionally and take good care of my saws.

Sounds like you bought some abused saws.

Many times the stripped threads are due to not linning up the screw correctly when reinstalling them. The screws are self tapping and cut threads when installed, if you don't reinstall the screw correctly, matching the threads it will cut more plastic and leave little to hold.

Yes there are metal screws in plastic on the intake carb area

Yes, there are plastic threads on the intake flange. In my experience, you have to be very careful not to overtighten screws on the intake flange and gas tank/handlebar. These are very easy to strip so be careful! This advice only pertains to the 3xx Husqvarna series because I have on experience with others.

School time!

Anytime you remove a screw from plastic, when re-inserting it turn the fastner counter clock-wise till it drops into the existing threads, then turn it clockwise. The parts when new have no threads its the fastner that cuts the threads in plastic, so just re-installing a fastner on a used part and only turning clockwise results in a 50/50 deal, either stripped threads/re-cut threads good for one more go..or they just slip on in.

Ive been using the 346xp for years when doing big tree removals to keep from having to tote up a big saw when I could get away with it,and cant say that ive had any problems stripping out screws.Ive got one that ive had since winter of 09 and its been torn apart three times.Once to port the cylinder and twice to replace the piston.I also remove all the covers when needed and clean the dust out of it..But things like that happen for no apparent reason to the best of us.All of my big saws and my climbing saws are Stihls,but I wouldnt take a MS260 over that 346 for a minute.The only other saw within this size I like as much is the 5100 Dolmar.But for me,there is a Stihl/Husky dealer 10 mins. down the road so I keep the dolmar around as a toy.

Anytime you remove a screw from plastic, when re-inserting it turn the fastner counter clock-wise till it drops into the existing threads, then turn it clockwise. The parts when new have no threads its the fastner that cuts the threads in plastic, so just re-installing a fastner on a used part and only turning clockwise results in a 50/50 deal, either stripped threads/re-cut threads good for one more go..or they just slip on in.

Yes, thanks, I realize you must realign plastic threads. Just like you have to realign wood screws and metal self tapping (self stripping) screws if you don't want to cut new threads. There is a reason why Husqvarna came out with a brass insert, something isn't right. Can you find me the brass inserts for stripped threads on the Husqvarna 50 Rancher from 1983? A manufacturer doesn't come up with a solution unless there is a problem.

Last edited:
regardless of brand ..Saws are like women, if you treat them right / look after them ...then they'll all ways be in good order, and ready to rock :biggrin:

Back