husqvarna 357xp or stihl ms261? help me out here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanmurt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
looking at buying a new chainsaw for thinning work in ireland..anyone with experience with either of these saws good or bad, shout

Not the 357, but the 261 yes. Excellent saw. Husky's 346 is excellent.

The 357 seems to be more comparable to a ms362??? I would go for the 562xp before the 357.

It is a 50cc or 60cc saw decision first, and for that you would have to tell us more about the wood you are cutting. Size/Avg. DBH? Hardwood or softwood?

Not the 357, but the 261 yes. Excellent saw. Husky's 346 is excellent.

The 357 seems to be more comparable to a ms362??? I would go for the 562xp before the 357.

It is a 50cc or 60cc saw decision first, and for that you would have to tell us more about the wood you are cutting. Size/Avg. DBH? Hardwood or softwood?

mostly ash at the minute, average dbh is about 18inches..i would be leaning towards the stihl as i have a stihl already plus its lighter. i just haven't heard much about the reliability of this model(261). cheers for the feedback

mostly ash at the minute, average dbh is about 18inches..i would be leaning towards the stihl as i have a stihl already plus its lighter. i just haven't heard much about the reliability of this model(261). cheers for the feedback

Reliability should not be an issue. Tried and true, bullet proof saw. The 261 has great air filtration as well. I have had one for a couple of years now with no issues at all. Good choice.

1 vote for 357XP

My 357xp has been an excellent firewood saw for the past 2 years. Most of my wood has been about 24" and smaller. It makes very quick work of anything I need it too. I average about 6 cords per year.
DSC02520.jpg

357 = 4.4hp 12.1lbs
261 = 3.75hp 11.6lbs

357 = 4.4hp 12.1lbs
261 = 3.75hp 11.6lbs

That weight spec of the 357xp isn't even close to true, as they sTengthened the case early in production, but "forgot" to adjust that spec.

Anyway, those aren't really comparable saws, as there is a lot of power differense - the 357xp is much closer to the MS362 than to the MS261.

If you get a 357xp, make SURE it does not have a plastic intake clamp on it. I'm not sure if you are looking at used or what. I have a scored 357 in my shop right now with a (broken) plastic intake clamp.

357 always felt on the heavy side for the size imo, but I never owned one. I did buy a 261 when they first arrived in the US to see what they were about. I really liked it, lots of torque and easy on fuel.

If a MS261 is an option, a 346xp or 550xp always is a better option - there are no doubt whatsoever about that! :msp_biggrin:

Ireland is about to get the 550 and 560xp in "volume", so they are having sales on older models. Even the 365xt has gone down quite a bit on price.
You say you have a STIHL - what model? I assume you are trying to go for a smaller size?

The 357 is a great saw. It's not quite as light as the 261, but has significantly more power if you need to pull more bar. If you are looking at around 15" or so, the 261 will do fine in the Irish hardwoods. If the price is nearly the same - go with the 357.

If you get a 357xp, make SURE it does not have a plastic intake clamp on it. I'm not sure if you are looking at used or what. I have a scored 357 in my shop right now with a (broken) plastic intake clamp.

New one wont have the plastic clamp. Husky fixed that about 5 years ago.

261 or 357xp, they're basically the same physical size with the 261 being a tiny bit lighter and the 357 having a lot more power and more CC's. Pick the one that feels best in your hands.

to by a new saw

test them.
if the dealer is serious he (or they) will give you the chance. both of them are nearly equally - so it is your turn to test the handling
best greetings from germany John

Ireland is about to get the 550 and 560xp in "volume", so they are having sales on older models. Even the 365xt has gone down quite a bit on price.
You say you have a STIHL - what model? I assume you are trying to go for a smaller size?

The 357 is a great saw. It's not quite as light as the 261, but has significantly more power if you need to pull more bar. If you are looking at around 15" or so, the 261 will do fine in the Irish hardwoods. If the price is nearly the same - go with the 357.

i currently have an ms290, good saw but its a farmers saw, disaster for my line of work. it got me started though

I own them both along with several big / bigger saws.
the HUSKY is a little bigger than the STIHL in cc's and hp.
That being said my personal experience has been nothing but awful with my HUSKY. What a disapointment my 357XP has been.
It cost a lot more than my ms261 and has had the following parts fail - oil pump,trigger, and a cracked fuel line. Pretty sad for a brand new pro grade saw. It may very well be a lemon.
However my MS 261 has been a flawless performer. Granted it's a baby sized saw with serious limitations, but is great for trimming, small notching, grooving and the like.
The best thing to do is find a place that will let you run them both.

I own them both along with several big / bigger saws.
the HUSKY is a little bigger than the STIHL in cc's and hp.
That being said my personal experience has been nothing but awful with my HUSKY. What a disapointment my 357XP has been.
It cost a lot more than my ms261 and has had the following parts fail - oil pump,trigger, and a cracked fuel line. Pretty sad for a brand new pro grade saw. It may very well be a lemon.
However my MS 261 has been a flawless performer. Granted it's a baby sized saw with serious limitations, but is great for trimming, small notching, grooving and the like.
The best thing to do is find a place that will let you run them both.

Bummer, my 357 has been great!

Have been using it hard for 2.5 years and it was 3-4 years old when I got it...

Latest posts

Back