Husqvarna 51 P&C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim_10

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
6af0718c317696068f64d21ae3678758.jpg

Picked up a junked Husky 51 and local shop after customer wanted to junk it. The only thing wrong with it was low compression, 25 psi. Got it apart, carb is good. Pulled P&C, cylinder looks good but piston not so much. Wanted to get your guys opinion on piston. Do you think a new ring will work or change out the piston? Also trying to find stuff on Mahle cylinders has been hard. On the cylinder it says 46ZD 5. I thought 51’s came with 45 mm P&c’s. Regardless, will a 46 mm meteor piston with caber ring work on this cylinder?
Attached are piston pictures. Thanks everybody!

Those scratches woln't hurt anything. It's got low compression because enough material was smeared over the ring to keep it from expanding against the cylinder. Most likely you can clean up the ring and put it back in service if it isn't broken or have any chunks out it.....

Sweet deal! Ring broke trying to get it off. It was stuck right there where the scoring was. Cleaned up the inside of the cylinder though and the picture is after a light sanding of the piston.

I found this browsing the net...51 - 46ZD 5 MAHLE (45stamped on top in blue paint). I don't see anything stamped on the top. Would a 46mm or 45 mm Caber ring fit on that piston?

Everytime I take down a 51 I replace the cylinder and piston with a 55 top end. I's only a few cc more, but an easy swap. Believe it or not some of the cheap Chinese kits go good on these saws.

I already have a 55 so no need for the 55 top end. Plus I don’t see the rationale in putting China stuff on something that just needs a new ring. Any input on what size ring will fit in that Mahle cylinder? Reason I’m asking is the piston diameter is 43mm. My assumption based off of Mahle number is that the ring should be either 45mm or 46mm.

I already have a 55 so no need for the 55 top end. Plus I don’t see the rationale in putting China stuff on something that just needs a new ring. Any input on what size ring will fit in that Mahle cylinder? Reason I’m asking is the piston diameter is 43mm. My assumption based off of Mahle number is that the ring should be either 45mm or 46mm.
Re measure the piston. It should be just a hair under 45mm. Like 44.97

a2bf3031965d1ef6fec94fe7d701d93a.jpg

Not sure where my eyes came up with 43, although not at 45. Not sure what the +/- is on the brass calipers, it’s at 44mm though.

Closer to 45 than 46 though, guess I’ll be ordering the 45mm Caber. Anybody disagree?

fd0f9ae16a962f2b11acd44984c472d1.jpg

Here’s the top of the piston... does that miner bear any weight? Couldn’t find any info on it.

a2bf3031965d1ef6fec94fe7d701d93a.jpg

Not sure where my eyes came up with 43, although not at 45. Not sure what the +/- is on the brass calipers, it’s at 44mm though.

Closer to 45 than 46 though, guess I’ll be ordering the 45mm Caber. Anybody disagree?

Tim_10 , from what I see in your picture your caliper is not measuring the full diameter of the piston .
The zero does not line up with the side of the piston .

I thought the same thing, although when fully closed the “out” marking lines up with zero. So the markings are accurate and double checked by measuring sockets.
a8ce4c6a1abc319ec284bb7face2205b.jpg

Here’s cylinder bore.
5b1a56e90765b596845521c11af363ae.jpg

More pictures of cylinder to follow

hi, the first 50,51,55 series saw i bought was a husky 51 it is the epa version they were 44mm 49cc. it is also a1998 saw. the cyl has the same markings as yours. good luck, chuck

Looks like I’ll be purchasing the 44mm Caber

Make sure you do a leak test when you have it back together. The intake boot and impulse seal are famous for leaking, could be why your piston is scored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back