Husqvarna 543XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have played around with a 543xp for the last couple of weeks , and while I have heard why Husqvarna wants the saw in their lineup I am trying to figure out why Husqvarna wants this saw in their lineup. The saw is lite and handles easy but I find it useless unless you are primarily cutting wood less than three inch diameter. I don't see much of a market for it in my area especially since you could put a few more dollars in and get a lot more versatile saw.

I guess there was a hole in the product portfolio below 50cc for a professional saw, having the typical attribute of a heated handle and carburator as an option. For us this is exactly the saw we are looking for. We've been recently looking at the Stihl MS 241, which now suddenly got this Husqvarna 543XP as a competitor.

We currently are using both a Stihl MS192 (12" & 0.043" gauge PMMC3 ) and a Jonsered CS2152 (13" & 0.050" gauge H30). Our needs are (not in prioritized order):
1) heated handle,
2) take .325" chains for less frequent sharpening needs than PMMC3,
3) less fuel consumption, i.e. larger fuel tank than in MS192 for longer work periods,
4) lighter than the Jonsered CS2152

P.S.
We'll use these saws primarily for removing trees smaller than 80mm diameter = three inch ballpark
PB237861s800.jpg

I guess there was a hole in the product portfolio below 50cc for a professional saw, having the typical attribute of a heated handle and carburator as an option. For us this is exactly the saw we are looking for. We've been recently looking at the Stihl MS 241, which now suddenly got this Husqvarna 543XP as a competitor.

We currently are using both a Stihl MS192 (12" & 0.043" gauge PMMC3 ) and a Jonsered CS2152 (13" & 0.050" gauge H30). Our needs are (not in prioritized order):
1) heated handle,
3) less fuel consumption, i.e. larger fuel tank than in MS192 for longer work periods,

P.S.
We'll use these saws primarily for removing trees smaller than 80mm diameter = three inch ballpark
View attachment 319622
I guess that's why someone else besides me are over the Husqvarna product line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) heated handle,

P.S.
View attachment 319622

That's really small trees, this has to be an initial thinning operation - or about Christmas trees?

Such things are what I use my 339xp for - but I see the point about handle heating....;)

Last edited:
If 3" wood is all it'll handle, I'm not interested. Haha Will have to see.

How does it compare to an OE 346xp (45cc)? Mine will do up to 20"+ wood all day long!

If 3" wood is all it'll handle, I'm not interested. Haha Will have to see.

How does it compare to an OE 346xp (45cc)? Mine will do up to 20"+ wood all day long!

Not really in the same class, I assume - lighter and a lot weaker, judging by the specs.......

I believe Traktorz just want the lightest saw with heating - basically everything will of course cut those trees.....

Last edited:
I had said that I didn't see a market for this saw in my area and today one off my customers that I let try the saw this past week and said that his crew really liked the saw and he would probably purchase a couple if them when they become available. He runs 346 and 550 all the time but said he would like to have it for when they are in rough places with nothing but small brush to clear. He also said that they had run it with a 18" bar and it preformed very good with it . So I guess I am eating crow now.

I had said that I didn't see a market for this saw in my area and today one off my customers that I let try the saw this past week and said that his crew really liked the saw and he would probably purchase a couple if them when they become available. He runs 346 and 550 all the time but said he would like to have it for when they are in rough places with nothing but small brush to clear. He also said that they had run it with a 18" bar and it preformed very good with it . So I guess I am eating crow now.

There are exceptions to any rule....

Last edited:
Not really in the same class, I assume - lighter and a lot weaker, judging by the specs.......

I believe Traktorz just want the lightest saw with heating - basically everything will of course cut those trees.....

Exactly, currently we're mainly preparing an area for planting pine (Pinus sylvestris) and spruce trees (Picea abies). These slow growing spruce trees are superb materials for traditional fencing arrangements. Remaining pieces will be used as fire wood.

So we're not needing any large and heavy saw at this time, just one with enough power (2.2 kW is fine, which is quite close to our other 50cc CS2150 & CS2152 saws).
More important are as light as possible and still winter equipped. There's a handful of good candidates on the market, but in the end of the day, one from Stihl and now one from Husqvarna.

Here's some of the suitable candidates:
♦ Stihl MS 192 C-E
♦ Husqvarna 439
♦ Stihl MS 201 C-E
♦ Husqvarna 339 XP
♦ Stihl MS 241 C-M
♦ Husqvarna 543 XP
♦ Husqvarna 242 XP

P3306604.JPG skihaga.jpg

The saw is lite and handles easy but I find it useless unless you are primarily cutting wood less than three inch diameter. I don't see much of a market for it in my area especially since you could put a few more dollars in and get a lot more versatile saw. Tapatalk

I have zero experience with the 543XP, but put hundreds of hours behind a 339XP with a 16" bar. Cut plenty of stuff bigger than 3" diameter, including a lot of 10-12" hardwoods. Though mostly I cut cedar with it. Always thought the 339XP punched above its weight. Has the 543 got less horsepower than the old 339?

22% more power in 543XP than in 339XP!

The new HVA 543XP/G has a powerful Strato Charged engine with 2.2kW.
Really, only the older HVA 242 XP beats the HVA 543 XP with respect to power in this cylinder volume class.

(edited to correct the weight numbers)
Husqvarna T540 XP:
Code:
Cylindervolym:    37.7 cm3
Effekt @ varvtal: 1.8 kW @ 10200 rpm
Bensintank:       0.34 l
Oljetank:         0.2 l
Vikt utan b/c:    3.7 kg
Vibrationer F/B:  3.1/3.2 m/s²
Kedjedelning:     3/8" Mini 1.3mm (H37)
Drivhjul/tänder:  spur/6
Pris inkl moms:   7200 kr
Husqvarna 339 XP:
Code:
Cylindervolym:    39 cm3
Effekt @ varvtal: 1.8 kW @  9600 rpm
Bensintank:       0.36 l
Oljetank:         0.16 l
Vikt utan b/c:    3.8 kg
Vibrationer F/B:  4.3/5.1 m/s²
Kedjedelning:     0.325" (H30)
Drivhjul/tänder:  rim/7
Pris inkl moms:   6700 kr
Stihl MS 241 C-M:
Code:
Cylindervolym:    42.6 cm3
Effekt:           2.2 kW
Bensintank:       0.39 l
Oljetank:         0.25 l
Vikt utan b/c:    4.7 kg / (241 C-M VW: 4.9 kg)
Vibrationer F/B:  2.9/2.9 m/s²
Kedjedelning:     3/8"P (63 PS3)
Drivhjul:         (spur sprocket)
Pris inkl moms:   6490 kr
Husqvarna 543 XP:
Code:
Cylindervolym:    43.1 cm3
Effekt @ varvtal: 2.2 kW @  9600 rpm
Bensintank:       0.42 l
Oljetank:         0.27 l
Vikt utan b/c:    4.5 kg / (543 XPG: 4.7 kg)
Vibrationer F/B:  2.8/3.5 m/s²
Kedjedelning:     0.325" (H25, H30)
Pris inkl moms:   6800 kr
Husqvarna 242 XP:
Code:
Cylindervolym:    42 cm3
Effekt @ varvtal: 2.4 kW @  9700 rpm
Bensintank:       0.52 l
Oljetank:         0.27 l
Vikt utan b/c:    4.7 kg
Vibrationer F/B:  3.6/5.4 m/s²
Kedjedelning:     0.325" (H25, H30)

Last edited:
I see one slight mistake in the post above - the weight spec of the 543xp is 4.5kg, it is the xpg that is 4.7.....;)

Thanks, Good catch!
- How could I miss this, actually being the unique selling point of the 543 XP saw.

P.S: I therefore updated the table above with corrected weight data.

Thanks, Good catch!
- How could I miss this, actually being the unique selling point of the 543 XP saw.

P.S: I therefore updated the table above with corrected weight data.

That's why I pointed it out! ;)

Then again, weight specs aren't always true (understatement)....

Latest posts

Back