Husqy 345 cam shaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nelly

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I had a friend that took his 345 into the shop. They said the cam shaft was broken. Replacement and parts were very expensive. I can't remember how much he was quoted. Better off getting a new saw though. This saw is only 3 or 4 years old. How much should something like this cost at a shop? What does a cam itself cost?

Assuming we are talking about the crank shaft, it is located in the bottom of the case of your saw and it is connected to the push rod which is connected to the piston. It will require a total teardown to replace it as well as some other components likes bearings, seals etc. Short of doing it yourself it will cost as much as a new saw.

rotax Robert

504563_356x237.jpg

Sorry, Nelly, no such thing as a camshaft on a 2-stroke motor.

Rotax Robert said:
Assuming we are talking about the crank shaft, it is located in the bottom of the case of your saw and it is connected to the push rod which is connected to the piston. It will require a total teardown to replace it as well as some other components likes bearings, seals etc. Short of doing it yourself it will cost as much as a new saw.

OK, if were gonna be precise, it's a connecting rod not a "push" rod. Push rods do work with camshafts, but niether is part of a 2-stroke motor.:D

My mistake, get to tipping to fast but I am positivley sure it does not have a camshaft hence it would not have a push rod or rods as that may be. at least I think so. But then what do I know, I think.:cheers:

Rotax

computeruser said:
Sorry, Nelly, no such thing as a camshaft on a 2-stroke motor.

Hi,

I feel like nit picking this morning so....

I wouldn't be too confident saying that. Two stroke does not automatically mean a chainsaw type engine with oil fuel mix that is burned during the cycle! There are two stroke engines with outlet valves for example. There are also diesel two strokes which don't use "mix".

Although the type of two strokes with outlet valves and cams are usually marine engines and not usually found in a lightweight chainsaw...

it is just a common misconception that two stroke always means an engine without valves and running a fuel oil mix. The are other ways of building a two stroke engine, I know as I have used and worked on some of the possible variations.

Bye and have a nice day!

litefoot said:
OK, if were gonna be precise, it's a connecting rod not a "push" rod. Push rods do work with camshafts, but niether is part of a 2-stroke motor.:D

And as long as we are nit picking it's not a "motor" but rather an engine. A motor is driven by electricity, hydraulics or pnuematics.

And MH is spot on my 2 stroke diesel engine has a camshaft, connecting rods and push rods, all along with a blower for forced induction.

Absolutely none of this has anything to do with a chainsaw but the use of the word "motor" when it should be engine drives me absolutely nuts.........

Rotax Robert said:

rotax Robert
Am I right in assuming that it would cost less if the saw was a pro model?

I'll bet there's even some people on the board that have some of those old "two stroke jokes". Timberjack used Detroit Diesel 2 strokes for a LOT of years, as did lots of the heavy truck manufacturers. Anyone remember teh 238? 318? 430? (6V71, 8V71, 8V92) If you can here it coming from a mile or two away, chances are it's an old DD two stroke.

SmokinDodge said:
And as long as we are nit picking it's not a "motor" but rather an engine. A motor is driven by electricity, hydraulics or pnuematics.

Absolutely none of this has anything to do with a chainsaw but the use of the word "motor" when it should be engine drives me absolutely nuts.........

Have you looked in a dictionary? I find no such distinction, even in the roots of the words.

"And as long as we are nit picking it's not a "motor" but rather an engine. A motor is driven by electricity, hydraulics or pnuematics."

This got me curious so I started looking. I used to think the same way a SmokinDodge until today.

Turns out the root of the word motor is any devise that changes energy such as gas electricity or steam into mechanical energy.

When you are typing a post highlight the word motor and right click on it. Choose "Lookup Meaning"

Interesting

It depend on which part of the world you are from... The USA being the center only of itself in usage...

Where I come from.... A motor is usually found under the bonnet, and occasionally in the boot.

Motor cars are everywhere. Engine cars? hmmm

Lakeside53 said:
Where I come from.... A motor is usually found under the bonnet, and occasionally in the boot.

Motor cars are everywhere. Engine cars? hmmm

Hi,

how about about electric engine instead of electric motor? In Germany they only seem to have the word motor for everything and only prefix this with elektro, benzin, diesel etc.

The first "engines" were the steam engines (in my history lessons they were always called engines), motor just seems to "fit" better to electrical motors just as engine seems to "fit" better to steam, petrol, diesel etc.

I hadn't thought about this before, funny how the use of words varies over time and in different places.

Bye

LarryTheCableGuy said:
Now y'all have me worried that I forked up. I've been using motor oil in my engine.

Hi,

As long as you don't use engine oil in your motors you should be ok.

I think...

Bye

From Wikipedia:

An engine is something that produces an effect from a given input. The origin of engineering was the working of engines. There is an overlap in English between two meanings of the word "engineer": 'those who operate engines' and 'those who design and construct new items'.

Types of motors include:

Electric motor, a machine that converts electricity into a mechanical motion
Thermodynamic motor or heat engine, a machine that converts heat into mechanical motion
Molecular motors, the essential agents of movement in living organisms
Pneumatic motor, a machine that converts the energy of compressed air into mechanical motion
Hydraulic motor a machine that converts the energy of pressurized liquid flow into mechanical motion.
Synthetic molecular motors or nanomotors
Motor may also refer to:

an engine
Motor car or automobile
Motor vehicle
Motor system, the physiological system that is responsible for physical movement
Motor neuron, neurons that originate in the spinal cord and synapse with muscle fibers

No real discernable difference.

sawinredneck said:
...There is an overlap in English between two meanings of the word "engineer": 'those who operate engines' and 'those who design and construct new items'.

hi,

now I have a real problem, until I just read that I thought I was a System Engineer but seeing as how I don't operate engines or design anything I guess I must be something else...

But seriously, a lot of real engineers took (quite rightly) offence at Microsoft and Novell using the word Engineer in its certifications. I prefer to be called an Administrator rather than an Engineer myself. Although MS says I'm an Engineer it is not a title I would actually use to describe myself. Which of course brings us back to the varying use of words.

Confused? You will be...

Bye

WRW said:
Have you looked in a dictionary? I find no such distinction, even in the roots of the words.

Actually no. I was taught that in my Diesel Engines 101 class at the university which I got my Heavy Equipment Technology degree. They gotta be wrong though, I couldn't find it on the internet. :dizzy:

Back