Husqy 345 cam shaft

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rotax Robert said:
My mistake, get to tipping to fast but I am positivley sure it does not have a camshaft hence it would not have a push rod or rods as that may be. at least I think so. But then what do I know, I think.:cheers:

Rotax

What he said...

SmokinDodge said:
Actually no. I was taught that in my Diesel Engines 101 class at the university which I got my Heavy Equipment Technology degree. They gotta be wrong though, I couldn't find it on the internet. :dizzy:

OK, now that you've said that, there are certain societies, affiliations, and/or professions that make distinctions that, for the general populace...me...,are merely esoterica. That being the case, your professors are probably correct within their circle of peers. Their distinction does not, however, carry weight outside their circle.

Ok, so now I am confused...does the 441 have an engine or a motor and by the way what is everybodies opinion of the saw. OH Nelly, here we go again

Rotax :bang:

WRW said:
OK, now that you've said that, there are certain societies, affiliations, and/or professions that make distinctions that, for the general populace...me...,are merely esoterica. That being the case, your professors are probably correct within their circle of peers. Their distinction does not, however, carry weight outside their circle.

Well, these guys seem to think along the same lines as well. But you better let them and Oxford English Dictionary know that they don't carry any weight.

"In everyday, non-technical usage the words have much the same meaning. But they have such clearly defined and fixed compounds (except in the rocket case) that they can’t be thought of as entirely interchangeable. The magazine article argues that the difference is that engines contain their own fuel or are part of a highly integrated engine-fuel system, whereas a motor draws on externally supplied energy. That’s the rule given in the Oxford English Dictionary, but on reflection it seems not wholly satisfactory. It doesn’t work for outboard motor or rocket motor for example. And it doesn’t explain why the two words should have been applied in this way. For that we have to look into their history."

SmokinDodge said:
Well, these guys seem to think along the same lines as well. But you better let them and Oxford English Dictionary know that they don't carry any weight.

OK, so, per Oxford English Dictionary, a locomotive is now a motor, not an engine? The driver of the locomotive is what...a motorvator? :biggrinbounce2:
You do know that they run off electricity generated by diesel engines, right?

I'm with smokin' dog doo (yeah, I read it the same way before the nic was changed, sorry) - the customary distinction exists in some circles, and while not 100% ironclad, it's something. Kind of like tortises and turtles - in some circles, a tortise is terrestrial whereas a turtle is aquatic. I have yet to find a irrefutable source on this subject, but the distinction is made in some circles.

Also bear in mind that the English language is not fixed. It's constantly evolving with new words being added and dropped, as well as modified in meaning and pronounciation. What we post as undeniable fact now may well be laughed at at some point.

Are the engine/motor - turtle/tortise distinctions coming or going? Being more clearly defined and compartmentalized, or being blurred into interchangeability? Only Sap knows...:givebeer:

crank, cam... tiping, typing.... engine, motor. Laughed my @$$ off at the wild tangent that this went into. Thanks to all you who responded. My buddy doesn't surf this site but I will send him a link to your posts. Believe it or not, the original question was answered.

Cam Shaft?

I guess I will be very busy tearing all of my saws down to locate that elusive cam shaft! But then I had a customer tell me a shop told him his distributer needed replaced on his 5 hp briggs and stratton

Latest posts

Back