hydro pump mounting question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dumbhunter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i am wondering about hydraulic pumps. does it matter on how they are mounted, horizontal or vertical? or is it pump specific. the reason i ask is i can get a used tractor mount wood splitter cheap, and i have several lawn mower engines and can donate one, was wondering if the pump could be mounted under the engine as all splitteres i have seen are side shaft mounted?

i have most materials to make my own trailer to mount it all on and im looking at just having an expense of the pump and lines besides the cost of the splitter. hoping to keep cost under a total of $350

thanks.

The mounting position of a hydraulic pump is usually not a factor. They usually have no special features that are affected by gravity, most have no air passages.

Vertical or horizontal mounting for a generic gear pump (most common type) is fine. Mount lower than the hydraulic tank oil level, with no "hills" in the input line, so that there will never be a "dry run" period before the pump draws oil from the tank.

Some of the more sophisticated oil pumps may have external case drains that require a certain orientation, but even that is not likely to be an issue.

I have seen some log splitters that use vertical crankshaft engines, but they are rather uncommon.

Last edited:
thanks guys

this was the info i needed, since i have most of the parts minus the pump and hoses, i do believe i will buy the tractor mount splitter, i can get it cheap, been haggling at 150 for it, the rest of the part to build the frame,tires, tank i have already. just need to weld it together. so i will make the drive this weekend to get it.

Latest posts

Back