HYPOTHETICAL - Which saw would you grab in an emergency?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife, daughter or my side of the family? The MS 460 that is always fueled and ready in the crummy.....

My wife's stepmother? The froze up 051 I found a few weeks back laying out a unit that some Weyco cutter left in the brush when he finished cutting the old growth. I can't pull the starter rope, can't open the oil cap gas cap or air filter....can't even move the chain on the bar....don't care for her too much...

My 268:rock:, it's the saw that feels the best in my hands & I know it'll do exactly what I need it to do. Not the fastest nor the lightest, but has never let me down in a pinch.

Definatley would be the 066 because I allways want to have enough saw, and you never know what your getting into site unseen!

Which Saw

Around here - my MS460 - muffler modified and EPA limiters removed.... Emergencies in Northern CA seem like they always involve a big Oak, redwood or something else large. The 28" bar and full skip chain are always ready.

My 066 magnum has always started on the 1st or 2nd pull no matter the temp or weather, has never flooded and has always ran like a champ plus it could muscle thru any tree standing or down. I would also make sure my boy was behind me with the 441 for back up.

Interesting question Matt.

I hear my ex logging boss had a pine land on him from standing too close to a worker (was this fella a faller?) falling. Twit, considering all the OH&S requirements he endorses to his workers.

Well, if I had to cut this Stihl lovin twurp free I'd have to use my 371 ported big bore with the loud muffler mod and suggest from this time on he quote that Husky rules.

The more I think about the clown, maybe I'd use a blunt axe!

Good replies guys :) A few people have put a lot of thought into this one but remember the size of the saw does count a little bit I suppose :cheers:
My 3120 has never, ever, missed a beat and has always started better than my other saws but would I grab it in a pinch? Um, no :)

The nearest runner.

Failing that requirement, it's a no brainer to grab the 372XP first.
It ain't fussy about starting at all, and if the tree is big enough to pin somebody, I want to be able to get things unloaded quicker than nibbling with a 346.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well this is a curly one

I have cut down all of the trees in my yard and the new ones are too small to need a saw.

If I was at my mates place cutting his trees then both of my saws would be ready to go and so would his.
I would use the one already in my hands most likely the 261.

If I was some place else that I would be looking for a mid size saw that was a little worn looking but clean (looking for signs of a well used well maintained saw).
I have used a couple of makitas and only one husky but I have to check what I'm doing to start one, so I would be looking for a stihl also, This says more about my experience than the brands husky or makita

This one, a 395. Despite being ugly and beat up, starts easy, has great chain speed and is as light as a feather - Have the victim free in super fast time.

P1010853.jpg

Al.

Last edited:
I would grab my MS290 if it was someone that I cared about. It would be my 2036 turbo if it wasn't.

Back