I can't wait for next winter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mosquitos near my cabin are at bumper crop levels. Ticks are high but not intolerable.

Spent a week in the Adirondacks, left this morning. Not a mosquito around and just a few gnats. That's a far cry from last summer, bugs were pretty thick then.

I don't mind Mosquitos unless they are in my ears at night. And if someone else is nearby they usually leave me alone. Can't stand deer flys getting stuck in my hair.

Hot nights/ no AC when sleeping can get to me but working in the heat doesn't bother me at all after living in FL twice.

I'm with ya Coldfront. I work in the timber and between the buffalo gnats, mosquitos, wood ticks, deer ticks ( I've been treated for lyme twice), and the chiggers I'm covered in bites. The other day I had on so much Deep Woods Off, Buggins and Avon SSS, I smelled like a nuclear waste dump. But the worst is the humidity. I sweat so much I'm just soaked all day. And I love how the wood chips feel stuck all over you. It adds to the experience.

Yep, I'm ready for late fall for sure.

WOW... I find it almost amazing that some of y'all are complaining about heat (and bugs)... when we ain't even had any yet.
I ain't kiddin', today is the warmest day we've had this year... it's managed to hit a whoppin' 84°.
Supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow, drop back into the 70's by Monday and stay there for at least 10 days or so... overnight lows in the 50's.
We may not even hit 75° during the middle of next week... with little, if any sun.
Seriously, I ain't even cleaned out the firebox yet... I ain't 100% sure I won't be using it again.
Heck, I ain't even put my long-sleeve flannel away... still need it some mornings.

WOW... I find it almost amazing that some of y'all are complaining about heat (and bugs)... when we ain't even had any yet.
I ain't kiddin', today is the warmest day we've had this year... it's managed to hit a whoppin' 84°.
Supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow, drop back into the 70's by Monday and stay there for at least 10 days or so... overnight lows in the 50's.
We may not even hit 75° during the middle of next week... with little, if any sun.
Seriously, I ain't even cleaned out the firebox yet... I ain't 100% sure I won't be using it again.
Heck, I ain't even put my long-sleeve flannel away... still need it some mornings.

I held out as long as I could, switched to shorts the other day. Plenty hot here. You can almost see the wood drying though.

I have been one lazy slacker on splitting though, the past few days...lazy I tell yas! The humidity is unreal. Lot of work, some spraying, non stop mowing, truck wrenching..that's it. Got the 3/4 ton project truck running last weekend though, ya me!!

What bugs me the most is lean over, splash, glasses fill up with sweat. Standing there greezy hands, WTF.... The insects aren't too bad, tolerable. We go around and squirt dish soap in standing water junk, old tires, etc. Dogs dig in under the trucks mostly. No idea where the cats go, rarely see them until night time. Early in the morning see them because that is when they get dried chow, but after that, they go find deep shade someplace.

You should come a couple hundred miles south. Between the gnats and the heat and humidity my kids don't want to go outside. Pulled two ticks off my youngest boy too.

ive been using "REPEL" brand 40% DEET for years, best ive found, bugs stay far away, most others ive used the bugs will still get close enough to be annoying...

I was in the local shopping market yesterday and was in the bug spray isle and noticed some Deep Woods concentrated DEET made by Off. It was 98.xx% DEET! So I bought one for the same price as the larger can of 25%, about $9. It says it will last 10 hours... Should only need a little squirt of this stuff, good thing because there's only about 2 oz in the bottle. Unfortunately it's probably been known to cause cancer in the state of CA and make you have spittin-drooling-ugly babies. Luckily I'm not in CA and my baby making days have come to an end, 2 is enough!

We went for a pleasant walk in the woods yesterday. No bugs, no rain, just a detour up another trail because the planned trail was washed out. Temps in the 70s.
I should have lit a Scandihoovian Candle to celebrate the solstice. I'll take the covers off the woodpile as it might not rain for a couple of days.
Don't move here.

The first thing I do in the morning is spray with deep woods off. Skeeters and deer/horse flies are bad here. Been rainy hot and humid for a week.

That cold weather last winter done spoiled ya. :)

Yeah, I despise hot, humid weather and bugs in general. I'd rather take a good, swift kick in the arse than work out in this stuff. But I do enjoy our little veggie garden. And ya can't beat the summer eye candy... all them purty young women showin' their stuff.

Our Mosquitos are still present but way down from two weeks ago.

Thickest no-see-um hatch I've ever seen. Drove us in last evening.

As mentioned I dont mind the heat. But if I had my druthers, I would take the 12 months as following: 1 month of March, 9 months of October, 1 month of November, 1 month of December. In other words, 10 months of hunting and two months of ice fishing.

Latest posts

Back