I enjoy cutting wood!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl here

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sometimes we talk too much about "new fast cutting saws" which is awesome!!! BUT, I have to say I enjoy cutting firewood with my stihl 026 almost more than my stihl ms361 to make the firewood cutting last... I only cut 3+ cords of firewood over the year and I just want to give my 026 some credit!!! But when a weekend warrior, homeowner "LIKE MYSELF" has a job to get done on my property, help someone, I enjoy my ms361!!!

Me to

I cut yesterday all day for wood and clearing out a fence row I cut mostly with my 026 hadn't used it sense I got the 361s. A litttle slower but fun.

I don't own a 260 my saw that size is the 270woodboss and it is my favorite saw even over my 460 and 660. Call me nuts but my 270 is pretty impressive with the muffler modd.:clap:

i dont even burn wood

Sometimes we talk too much about "new fast cutting saws" which is awesome!!! BUT, I have to say I enjoy cutting firewood with my stihl 026 almost more than my stihl ms361 to make the firewood cutting last... I only cut 3+ cords of firewood over the year and I just want to give my 026 some credit!!! But when a weekend warrior, homeowner "LIKE MYSELF" has a job to get done on my property, help someone, I enjoy my ms361!!!
but, i cut at the least 10 cords a year and sell it , i trade a buddy farmer of mine wood for beef each year 4 cords per half beef i really like it too it has been so cold and nasty this winter i am behind on my cutting :chainsaw:

but, i cut at the least 10 cords a year and sell it , i trade a buddy farmer of mine wood for beef each year 4 cords per half beef i really like it too it has been so cold and nasty this winter i am behind on my cutting :chainsaw:

That's a pretty good deal for the beef. Is it cut/split for the butchered side? I like barter deals myself and have a few here with my neighbors for my garden produce.

thats cut and split and stacked in cords

That's a pretty good deal for the beef. Is it cut/split for the butchered side? I like barter deals myself and have a few here with my neighbors for my garden produce.
all he does come get it . i got it stacked by road for him i still pay for wrap but still good for me whole beef could cost 850.00 more of less depends on size and if i got it at storeit would even be more so good for me good for him

I have fond memories of just working the heck out of my 026 with a 20" bar buried in big oaks and madrone. I was not in a hurry, and my saw never complained, with sharp chain and a cool day.

I am the same way. Love cutting the wood. That's the only thing I don't like about my Dolmar 7900. It cuts way too fast. I can't even savor the moment. :greenchainsaw:

I am getting saws ready to continue my big hackberry removal (post is called "Groundie"), and I just blew the dust off my old 026, and switched it over to winter mode cause it is colder than a welldigger's watusi out there. After cleaning the air filter this thing runs great. It is sure a neat little saw, and for 14 years it was my "Big" saw..... LOL along with the venerable 009.
AOD has been tendering some impressive offers for the 009, but since it is one of my original two Stihls, it's just not for sale.

I saw a used 009 on FleeceBay last night, and the bid was up to 153.00 with a day or so remaining. I paid 189.00 for mine brand new! Go figure. The saw does look nice, but, well, I guess it's a Stihl.

I love using my 026. It is a great medium saw for firewood and such.

I am the same way. Love cutting the wood. That's the only thing I don't like about my Dolmar 7900. It cuts way too fast. I can't even savor the moment. :greenchainsaw:

I love cutting wood too. Used to enjoy my 026, but am spoiled anymore with bigger smoother saws. 7900 with 28 and square my funnest saw.

A friend was trying out my 7900 last week and the cutting was going so fast he was complaining about how it was over too quick.

The 026 is the main saw I started out with in the tree business. Wasn't mine, it was my bosses but I liked it so much I eventually bought my own. I used to climb with it in the 90's.

Personally, I would rather work for a home owner who is a saw enthusiast and likes to cut his own wood. They usually like for you to leave the wood and they love the chance to break out their saw and buck the tree up themselves. Plus we always have something in common to discuss. Beats working for someone who wants to talk golf.

The other day I was out on the golf course......J/K

The 026 is the main saw I started out with in the tree business. Wasn't mine, it was my bosses but I liked it so much I eventually bought my own. I used to climb with it in the 90's.

Personally, I would rather work for a home owner who is a saw enthusiast and likes to cut his own wood. They usually like for you to leave the wood and they love the chance to break out their saw and buck the tree up themselves. Plus we always have something in common to discuss. Beats working for someone who wants to talk golf.

The other day I was out on the golf course......J/K

I have never paid to be frustrated chasing a little white ball around on grass that costs big $$$!

However, one point I interviewed with Toro and the guy who walked me around favorite saying was "Golf has been good to us". I guess it's good for something!:jawdrop: :popcorn: :monkey:

Last edited:
I love cutting wood too. Used to enjoy my 026, but am spoiled anymore with bigger smoother saws. 7900 with 28 and square my funnest saw.

A friend was trying out my 7900 last week and the cutting was going so fast he was complaining about how it was over too quick.
I know how that feels My 7900 with 20'' bar 8pin rim and some lgx came with me two weeks ago as I new I would be cutting up 16'' to 20'' wood not super clean as it was close to a gravel road so I did not run Square. What a fun saw to run and bone stock it is quite compared to my screaming Jred!
But this week I took my small saw's to cut some 6'' to 10'' Pine It took longer but I was in a T shirt! I even left my newly ported 2152 at home as it would not be sportsman like lol.
I wanted to go cut firewood today but this morn it was -26c both me and the hound are getting too old for that.

Since the glacier covering most of my parents property thinned out yesterday I might be able to get some cutting in today. I love cutting firewood, but I work 6 or 7 days a week at the shop and have only a couple hours a week to get out and slice through some wood.

Yep, I love cutting wood too. My 026 is my favorite all around saw to use also. It is fast enough to be entertaining and light enough to not wear you out.

I too enjoy cutting,last fall I cut 2 1/2 cords of elm and 1 1/2 cords of red oak with my muffler modded 026.I have traded that one to my brother for my old Husky 44 and have gotten another 026 that I just did a port job on(with the help of another AS member,pics and info later)that I can't wait to cut with(it might warm up to 0 degrees today)My muffler modded 359 hasn't seen alot of action lately.

My 260 with a 20" bar was my first saw and it cut some good size wood...slowly...but got it done. I've since modded the muffler, replaced the stock carb with a fully adjustable carb, replaced the non-adjustable oiler with an adjustable one and put on a 16" B&C. I still love to use the 260 for the right size wood. For me, it's almost dangerous cutting with the 260 after using the 044 or 970 because the 260 is so light and easy to toss around . My 70cc saws are funner to cut with, but as others have said, the cutting gets done to quick for my liking. :)

Kevin

I cut firewood for years with my MS260. It always got the job done for me but all too often it was a bear to get it to start.(even after taking it to the dealer for adjusting) So I decided to go back to my local dealership for a new saw. Asked him for his reccomendation on a new saw with more power without adding a ton of weight and yet, still be nimble in the woods. He talked me into buying a Husky NE 346xp. He said he has two of these as does his head mechanic. This was my first experience using a Husky and I was reluctant.
He said "trust me", you'll love it. So off I went with my new Husky in hand and of course headed right to the woodlot. He was right!!!! What a beautiful saw! Just as light as my MS260 but with an attitude. I pulled the muffler and checked to make sure I didn't get one with cat muffler. Thankfully it's a non-cat. Pulled the screen out and left everything else stock.(so far:) ) Absolutely LOVE this saw. It's made my cutting firewood an absolute pleasure to do!!! If wasn't 6 degrees for a high temp today, I'd be right out there. Here's to bucking up the wood boys!:cheers:

I know how that feels My 7900 with 20'' bar 8pin rim and some lgx came with me two weeks ago as I new I would be cutting up 16'' to 20'' wood not super clean as it was close to a gravel road so I did not run Square. What a fun saw to run and bone stock it is quite compared to my screaming Jred!
But this week I took my small saw's to cut some 6'' to 10'' Pine It took longer but I was in a T shirt! I even left my newly ported 2152 at home as it would not be sportsman like lol.
I wanted to go cut firewood today but this morn it was -26c both me and the hound are getting too old for that.

I just went out and bucked a big Hackberry up that I fell a couple weeks ago. It wasn't that tall but the trunk was a consistent 20" dia. It burried my bar. I just sharpened the chain last night and the tree was no match for this 7900. It takes no time at all to buck up a tree. More time moving the rounds away, so the saw actually makes you work faster. LOL. phew..

Latest posts

Back