i have to B*** about my dealer for a sec

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl doesn't doesn't allow Internet sales so you either take a chance on Feebay,Craigslist,or pay top dollar at the dealer.

? It's not MTronic. I tried the new recommended settings, and IMHO, it does nothing for the saw. Plain and simple, Stihl totally neutered their pro top handle saw. Makes no sense to me.

What good is the saw or warranty if it runs like a dog? I'd rather have a tool that runs like it should, like the saw it replaced.

I am sure you saw the tech bulletin on adjusting the carb on the 201. I understand that you do magic on those little saws at your shop, and don't want to take anything away from that. If the O.P. has been twiddling on the carb screws, the coil advance circuit may be fighting him on the carb settings. It is well known that these saws are weak out of the box. Wrong carb settings would certainly exacerbate that. We have sold a handfull of 201s, and have had the same complaints as everyone else. Like the others, I tell them that it is a strato-scavenged engine, and give it several GALLONS of fuel to break in. The longer the tree guys run them, the less they complain. I am sure the Snellerized ones are little fireballs, but a well broken in stock 201 is NO slouch either. Anymore, I tell all customers buying strato equipment that it will take quite a while to break in. In particular the 201 and 362 customers, I emphasize to not bother with the performance until it has had at least 1.5 GALLONS of fuel through it (not tanks.) Many of them have come back saying it had a noticeable power increase around that mark. My personal BG-86 blower is getting to that point now, and it is fun to see it turn the corner.

If the downtime is not an issue shop around, buy off the net, etc. However if I need it now, I need it or want it. Downtime = $.
For the record the Sthil dealer I frequent is excellent.

Am I the only guy who has solid dealers? Is it my good looks and charm? The husky-echo dealer even talks mods, and helps me find parts for my old Poulans. I owe it all to clean living:msp_rolleyes:

This is one of the unfortunate side affects to a "service economy", they seem to think that the customer really doesn't matter any more and "if it's needed or wanted, they will come no matter what, and we can treat them like crap in the process. More customers will come because they need us." The major equipment purchases that I have made are at a small shop about 25 miles away, the more local guys don't offer as good a service, not as knowledgable and definitely fall into the mindset above. Even the "good" shop has ticked me off a time or two, and I have kept one eye open for other dealers, not easy to find. I also have noticed that several hardware stores in the area have picked up Stihl, and they obviously have no clue about the machines themselves.
Welcome to the 21st Century
The new moto for business's is
The customer is never right :msp_angry:

moto from the 20th century
The customer is allways right R.I.P.:msp_sad:
Thomas

Am I the only guy who has solid dealers? Is it my good looks and charm? The husky-echo dealer even talks mods, and helps me find parts for my old Poulans. I owe it all to clean living:msp_rolleyes:

My Husqvarna/Echo/Redmax dealer is great. The Stihl dealer was owned by a family for about 40 years and they were awesome they would offer you pop,coffee,donuts,candy etc...while you shopped or waited for parts or whatever and when the old guy retired they sold to some other guy and he sucks!! Never has parts in stock,has no knowledge of what he's selling and so on, he's just a real idiot to deal with. Its a good thing i drink orange kool-aid.

Don't blame the dealer, you were the one who bought the saw you didn't want.

If I didn't want it I wouldn't have bought it, I didn't know it was going to be a dog until I brought it home and used it in a tree and started having problems with it. Buyers remorse, maybe but because I spent a little more than originally planned. What really irritated me was the fact that a chainsaw dealer couldn't even give me the right file after going there twice and even showing him the chain! That obviously makes me question their knowledge on the products they sell and now if I need to take my saw in for service I'm supposed to trust them?

My Husqvarna/Echo/Redmax dealer is great. The Stihl dealer was owned by a family for about 40 years and they were awesome they would offer you pop,coffee,donuts,candy etc...while you shopped or waited for parts or whatever and when the old guy retired they sold to some other guy and he sucks!! Never has parts in stock,has no knowledge of what he's selling and so on, he's just a real idiot to deal with. Its a good thing i drink orange kool-aid.
Wow, that would be nice! I haven't run into that up here in northern NE yet. The dealer that I tend to go to is an old school small engine mechanic that has been doing it for 40 years, and could probably fix any small engine issue that could come up and does so pretty reasonable, he just lacks a little on the customer service side. I do have to thank him though, he's the one who got me to hand sharpen my own saw chains, they took way to much off of one of my chains with the electric grinder. That's pretty easy to do from what I understand.

I've always heard rave reviews about one of the local Husky dealers just few miles from my house, almost makes me wish that I had bought one of those.;) Coffee, donuts, knowledgable and good customer service, that would be just novel!

The internet is great in so many ways, if you can get away with just low cost. Warantees aren't much good when you need it now and the person that handles the warranty is sitting in Dubai.

Adam.

Inquiring minds want to know...cuz there are only acouple larger outfits with multiple stores?
If the initials are M.E... I can understand your frustration.

M.p.e

Ill have to look for that bulletin and see what I can do. I have a few jobs to do so we will see how it runs after some break in. If it doesn't improve you will prob hear from me brad

My local Husky dealer Is just about out of bussiness, I drive about 30 miles to get parts. 30 miles is about what I would drive to get parts from that shop. It must employe all the local drop outs and druggies. I took the seiral number in for my EPA 55 for a new piston and rings. A sledge hammer wouldn't have driven the piston with out the rings in the cylinder. Equal two trips of 15 miles each plus the time doing it.

As for the parts wearhouse comment!!! all the internet dealers are not wearhouses some have dealer ships in your state some miles away but want to make a little money on every sale and not make coustomers take out loans to buy air filters and belts. Ya'll liked Bailays don't ya
Local Jeep deal is a good example. Last fall son needed a power window regulater $140.00 6 miles away, $76 .00 including shipping from a dealer in New Jersey.

:D Al

Ya'll liked Bailays don't ya
I sure do, but I hate their shipping charges! I have never seen lower advertised prices on the products that they sell, but add the shipping and I'm better off getting it locally. Actually I bought an Oregon saw chain from Amazon, just under $20 I think and free shipping.:laugh: No worries Greg, still buy stuff from you. The fact that I live 3,000 or so miles away doesn't help.

joezilla, you might have throwed him off a little picking up a $600 climbing saw with limited experience that the guy didn't realize. Don't let anyone beat you down about it. Besides, that lp chain gets sharper on a grinder.

I tell them that it is a strato-scavenged engine, and give it several GALLONS of fuel to break in. The longer the tree guys run them, the less they complain. I am sure the Snellerized ones are little fireballs, but a well broken in stock 201 is NO slouch either.

Yup. Somebody needs to say it, Saw Dr. I got one in December before last and I can't see the problem many have with the 201T. So far this one's mods include running airplane fuel that's it. I think don't you can buy a little firecracker like that and think it will pop on wet powder. Give 'em some fuel.

M.p.e

Ill have to look for that bulletin and see what I can do. I have a few jobs to do so we will see how it runs after some break in. If it doesn't improve you will prob hear from me brad

Yup, that's what I thought...there's better dealers not far away.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

What mechanism would cause a strato engine to require a longer break in? About the only parts that break in are the cylinder and the rings - why would strato change that? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand how it might work.

I don't exactly understand it either. It has got to be something with the materials used. Maybe someone else has some insight?

What mechanism would cause a strato engine to require a longer break in? About the only parts that break in are the cylinder and the rings - why would strato change that? I'm not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand how it might work.

It's not just the strato...EPA muffler and subsequent limited carb.
Less air, less fuel, less heat equals more runtime to heatsink and seat the rings.

It's not just the strato...EPA muffler and subsequent limited carb.
Less air, less fuel, less heat equals more runtime to heatsink and seat the rings.

Generally, with a strato engine you should not need such a restrictive muffler since the engine is not pumping so much unburned fuel out the exhaust. More fuel/oil mix should reduce temperatures and prolong break in. Maybe the fresh air charge cools the cylinder more anyway - does anyone know? I still don't see the relationship between strato and longer break in.

Wider lift and duration on intake and exhaust openings ones allow for tighter tolerances. I've seen some fresh V8 builds that took quite a boost to turn over. I don't think it was just a compression issue. The newer saws are made tighter and straighter than ever. No one is gonna satisfy you, though WHW.

Back