i have to B*** about my dealer for a sec

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have one and hated it, I went back to my Poulan 25SD for my small stuff...

In defense of the saw, it has fantastic potential. It can be everything and more that you've come to expect from Stihl's pro top-handle saw. With a modest amount of mechanical ability, most anyone here should be able to bring out the potential of the 201T. All the info you need is right here. If you're not comfortable with that, that's what us sponsors are here to help you out with.

IMHO, there's a lot more to it than just break-in. This same saw that is said to require a lot of break-in, can be taken brand new right out of the box, and with just a few minutes of mods, will out perform your well broken in 200T. I'm talking excellent throttle response as well.

Wider lift and duration on intake and exhaust openings ones allow for tighter tolerances. I've seen some fresh V8 builds that took quite a boost to turn over. I don't think it was just a compression issue. The newer saws are made tighter and straighter than ever. No one is gonna satisfy you, though WHW.
How do you figure I am being unreasonable? I asked a very simple question about how the modified transfer porting of a strato saw would affect break in. Shockman's comments didn't actually address that question at all (nor do yours), but I was not rude in my reply - why are you?

They've been modifying port timing, choking up mufflers and probably controlling tolerances better to meet emissions prior to strato.

Not quite getting you Chris...you answered your own question.
The (EPA) restricted exhaust is what holds this saw back...not the strato intake.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2i

How do you figure I am being unreasonable? I asked a very simple question about how the modified transfer porting of a strato saw would affect break in. Shockman's comments didn't actually address that question at all (nor do yours), but I was not rude in my reply - why are you?

They've been modifying port timing, choking up mufflers and probably controlling tolerances better to meet emissions prior to strato.

Sorry WHW, if it comes to carburetors or this issue, I was making an educated guess. We'll see if you get an answer you agree with. Maybe the perceived break-in on the new Stihls is a phenomenon. I've broke in six in the last two years and they all acted the same. I remember the 066's opening up like a banshee right out the box twenty years ago. If there is a direct correlation between strato made Stihls and break-in period, I'll find out what it is from the source.

There is more air coming in front of the fuel charge. The ring stays cooler and the saw takes longer to break in. Straight from Stihl headquarters. Nobody at Stihl can tell me if the other tolerances are tighter because the engineers won't tell them. Hahaha. The bottleneck in the exhaust side might create more heat overall, but it isn't affecting the ring directly.

Sorry WHW, if it comes to carburetors or this issue, I was making an educated guess. We'll see if you get an answer you agree with. Maybe the perceived break-in on the new Stihls is a phenomenon. I've broke in six in the last two years and they all acted the same. I remember the 066's opening up like a banshee right out the box twenty years ago. If there is a direct correlation between strato made Stihls and break-in period, I'll find out what it is from the source.

Ok, I was not doubting at all the claim that they need longer break in - I don't have one and it sounds plausible. I was just trying to figure out how strato - specifically - could be contributing to it. I think what is meant is merely that the new engines (which happen to be strato) require longer break in.

The problem with that is with overhead and shop front. The stuff you buy online comes from a warehouse that doesn't have a store front to pay for. They sell high volume at low prices & make money. Your local dealer cannot stock that same part & sell it for the price while still making money because he's selling one at a time, not one or ten every day. Internet warehouse sales really defeat the old school little town guys. If your dealer has to sell everything at a competitive rate with the internet, then kiss your dealer goodbye. He will most certainly go out of business. Luckily some manufacturers like Stihl & others, will only allow the shop to sell retail. That prevents internet outfits from selling cheaper & putting the little guys out. I have come to accept the price difference, and any chance I get to support the local guys, I do. Same thing with groceries, clothes, etc. A local small town shop really has no chance at competing with internet sales. They simply cannot do it. The personal face to face service is worth something to me.

Nothing stopping any dealer from doing sales both ways, local and over the net.

Smart people adapt to changing conditions, just an historical fact.

Dad gum it! people aint coming into my livery much anymore! Them dad burn horseless carriages! How am I supposed to compete with that???

Sum#####! People aint coming in to get their crosscuts filed and set! What with them infernal engine motorized saws...how the heck do you compete? Dont they know I got bills to pay?

Well, the only complaint left is internet sales tax, looks to be coming real soon now. They are gonna run out of excuses real soon. That not supporting a physical presence dont wash and never did, those parts are stored and shipped from SOMEPLACE real that has your regular normal costs associated with it, building cost, utilities, taxes, etc. Someone wants to do business and they insist on being in a high traffic profile area with the highest rents, etc..they will have to decide if the extra cost is worth it, when maybe they can get half price rents and taxes just by being on a sidestreet a block away.

the best advertising is word of mouth, anyway...

About what is left is honest, real fast fair priced local service. And by fair, charging for a thousand dollar and under saw for OPE repair the same hourly rate as work on a 40 grand truck ...hmmm...

Guess it depends on peoples wallet if they think that is a good deal or not. Me, personally, I couldnt afford to have anyone else do normal maintenance and simple repairs..on anything I own. And judging by the heaps of broken but not needing much in the way of repair OPE out there, sitting behind shops, more and more people are choosing to not get anything repaired.

How long would people keep buying those 40 grand trucks if every other year you had to drop 20 grand in repairs on them? Yet, consumers are supposed to support a similar ratio with their small engine jazz...uh huh, thats real sustainable...I guess for some it is, but I see that evaporating at some point, and people will just switch en masse to the real cheap asian imports, way more than they are now. If the device is priced to be disposable whenever they get a repair quote, the 50% of purchase price, between high labor and jacked up parts, the consumers will for the most part then go to the cheapest disposable.

And just order it over the net.....

In defense of the saw, it has fantastic potential. It can be everything and more that you've come to expect from Stihl's pro top-handle saw. With a modest amount of mechanical ability, most anyone here should be able to bring out the potential of the 201T. All the info you need is right here. If you're not comfortable with that, that's what us sponsors are here to help you out with.

I'm sorry but for what they cost they should be magnificent right out of the box...

Howdy,
I would think things like the degree of hone to the cylinder, hardness of the rings, Kinetic-friction (synthetic vs. petroleum mix oil) would all contribute to the time needed to seat the rings. I don't get how having a fresh air charge would change the break in time.
Regards
Gregg

Howdy,
I would think things like the degree of hone to the cylinder, hardness of the rings, Kinetic-friction (synthetic vs. petroleum mix oil) would all contribute to the time needed to seat the rings. I don't get how having a fresh air charge would change the break in time.
Regards
Gregg

This is the reason I drive with the window down after eating good Mexican food.

There is more air coming in front of the fuel charge. The ring stays cooler and the saw takes longer to break in. Straight from Stihl headquarters. Nobody at Stihl can tell me if the other tolerances are tighter because the engineers won't tell them. Hahaha. The bottleneck in the exhaust side might create more heat overall, but it isn't affecting the ring directly.

This actually makes some sense...

I highly doubt tolerances are any tighter, or you'd have a lot of seizures...

Last edited:
Back