I hit rock bottom tonight....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentuckydiesel

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Yesterday my wife and I went to get my log splitter which someone had *borrowed* two years ago. Not too much of a bother then, we were living in town for a bit. Anyhow, I got up this morning, got the splitter running again (the guy had left it outside...and had LOST the air cleaner assembly, so the carb was full of water and corrosion), then I proceeded to attempt to make one of my two old Homelites run. (had been *taking care* of a pair of Stihls for a buddy, but he recently resumed care himself).

Homelite #1-EZ-auto: Since the day I tried to remove the flywheel this summer in order to work on the points, I can't get the damn saw to draw any gas from the tank. I actually put a electronic ignition kit on it before I realized it was no longer getting gas. Guess I must have damaged the crank seals somehow. :shrug: Have had the carb apart three times trying to make it go. Was in the middle of checking out the problem again and the pull rope broke. I then removed the pull rope retracting spring and turned the saw over with a drill...still no fuel moving through the line. Set that saw aside for the day...gotta make a flywheel puller. :msp_sad:

Homelite #2-Super 1050: I bought this saw in not-running condition back in July. I have so far replaced the cylinder and rings, rebuilt the carb, replaced the air box, bought a whole clutch assembly, clutch cover, oil pump worm gear and seals, bar and chain for it...but still have yet to get it in wood. When I go to start it one day, it may start, but the next day it won't. Run it unloaded for 30 seconds or so, at medium rpms, then let it idle for 20 seconds or so, it will usually die. After that, it may or may not start again...may have to wait for another day to try it. Since I put a bar on it, the saw refuses to run. I've been through everything short of crank seals and the points. Hoping it is a points issue, I attempted to pull the flywheel off today with a steering wheel puller, but no luck...I did however get some threads pulled out of the screw holes in the flywheel. :dizzy:

Now for the truly bad part...
With no saws of my own left to use, I was ready to give up...until my wife reminded me that my father-in-law had left his nearly new "18 inch Poulan Pro" out here. I had forgotten about it...I guess I never even considered cutting wood with it before...it looks kinda like a kids toy. Reluctantly I pulled it from the shed, filled it with fresh mix and bar oil, tightened the chain, and pulled the rope...
It fired up instantly! I suddenly had a thought I might have been wrong all these years. I had never tried one of these Wal-Mart saws...maybe they aren't as bad as I thought. It says right on the side that it is a 42cc saw...any my EZ-auto is just under 38cc's.
I threw the Poulan on the back of the tractor and headed off for a standing dead white oak which had recently lost some branches. Walking up to the branches I was confident...I pulled the cord on the Poulan and again it started, first try. I started with some small stuff, 2-3" thick for kindling. No big deal. Next I went to some 4-5" stuff.
Hmm...can this be? The trusty Poulan stopped pulling the chain...in the middle of a 5" branch. I went on to cut a bunch more...slowly. I actually sat down for some 10" logs.

Now I know why my whole family runs Stihls.

-Phillip

Kentucky diesel, I have had great luck with Stihl, husky, echo. We even had poulans at the mill and some of the pro ones were pretty goo. Regardless brand, make or model, they have to be maintained, and kept in running order to be dependable. That goes for any brand. And there are others that are good too.

I love the Stihls, but I'm really beginning to like the older mag/american built Homelites. Yeah, parts are a pain to obtain, but they run great when they run. Gotta love the throttle response from reed valve carbs. The old Homeys sure were built to last.

Easy Mate... The guy had a bad day and is venting a little.

Rock bottom was the quote, not a bad day, we all have bad days but few of us will pull through from hitting rock bottom, so a chainsaw didn't cut, unlucky, but far from rock bottom i'm here to tell ya...

Hey Matt, sounds like your day was not so good either. :msp_smile:
I had a long one too, but a nice quiet beer and a talk to my son and wife when I got home put a whole new perspective on things. Fresh snapper for dinner, a bottle of South Aussie sauvignon blanc and I am a new man.
I been thinking on the 046 basket case and there must be crank somwhere for it. Be a shame not to have it up and running.

And Phil, if you think that was a bad day you should have been with me the day I broke the stock on my 1951 Beretta S2.
100_0945.jpg

Cost me a grand for the walnut to fix her up but I love her more than ever.

Remember, tomorrow is another day.
Al

I had a long one too, but a nice quiet beer and a talk to my son and wife when I got home put a whole new perspective on things. Fresh snapper for dinner, a bottle of South Aussie sauvignon blanc and I am a new man.
I been thinking on the 046 basket case and there must be crank somwhere for it. Be a shame not to have it up and running.

And Phil, if you think that was a bad day you should have been with me the day I broke the stock on my 1951 Beretta S2.
100_0945.jpg

Al

Don't anyone tell him about glue. That would ruin that day. :)

First thing I'd do with some unknown-quantity chainsaw like that Poulan, would be to make sure the chain was ready for some cutting. IOW, sharpen it. Before nastygrams to self about POS saw.
And before letting Stihl dealer perform cashectomy.
Just sayin ...

If you look at the chain on Poulan I'll bet you find that it is really lame safety chain, probably SKIP safety chain! If you put a real chain on it and tune it a bit you'll be more surprised. Actually the regular replacement chain (probably 91VG) sold everywhere is much better than what they ship on the saw.

If that's the worst sh*t you have to worry about in your life you need to pull your head out of your arse and wake up...

Haha, I actually had a great day...looking back on the weekend, I just had to laugh about all the interesting equipment twists, and joke a little about the Poulan being "rock bottom" for chainsaws I have operated. :p

Believe me, I have a great deal more stress in my life than a few small engine issues. I'm sorry that you didn't see the humor. :shrug:

-Phillip

100_0945.jpg

Al
Whoo! That is one beautiful piece of wood. Sorry to get slightly off the track of this thread, but I have to ask if that is Himalayan Circassion or French walnut (or some other variety)? I had a Belgian Browning 20ga restocked about 35yrs ago with Diana grade wood. I really appreciate that stuff. It is one of the big reasons I began using chainsaws back in the late 70s. I've been able to harvest some great crotch figured American Black Walnut using my Jonsered 920

100_0945.jpg

Very nice. I've got a double barrel 20ga L.C. Smith at home that I need to put a stock on. I'm told it originally belonged to one of my great aunts...it was the first shotgun I ever used, so it has a special place in the collection...just a step down from the old single shot Remington Targetmaster .22 that my Grandfather bought at 12 or 14yrs old with money he earned from collecting bottles from the side of the road.

-Phillip

Phillip, that targetmaster .22 a pump action? I love Remington I have a gamemaster, pump 30-06. I would go get youreself a good running saw though, and keep it up and running.

I have one of those plastic poulan 42cc saw's and with a good chain and a little carb adj it cut's pretty good. you just can't push it as it will bog like you said.

Kimble, those are the saw's Bruce still runs at the mill. They are on all the forklift's LOL! He bought em because he was tired of somebody running over a Stihl, or Husky. Funny thing those little green poulans lasted.

Back