I hope this isn't anyone here

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Kid is FIVE. Not 10. I'm sorry, five year olds have trouble colouring inside the lines half the time. I do not think that they have sufficient situational awareness nor sufficient response. An MS 660 is way out of control but honestly, even a smaller saw. There's just no real reason for it. The kid is going to more more tempted to ##### around with the saw when his dad isn't home. Then his friends will do the same.

I'm not saying you have to keep your kid in a plastic bubble, but come on, we're talking kindergarten age!! Even if you "teach him" how to do it, there's no way he can be a productive, competent woodcutter for a LONG time.

Kids cost too much money to risk just losing/damaging one over something like this.

Not smart

Theres some things to let a kid do and running that big of a saw inst one of them.

I've done just about every dumb thing a person can do. Before I did each of these dumb things, I kinda had a gut felling saying, "this is not a real good idea". Thats the feeling I got when I saw that vid. It might not be dumb, so to speak, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea.

so what? the kid got to do something he bugged dad for an hour to let him do. Yep i would do that. Mind you ear pro is a must. im 17 and i really cant hear well anymore. been runnin saws since i was 13. big woop. I say way to go dad. (Im not going to claim my worthless generation as my own.)

that kid should be learning how to use a maul and how much it hurts when you miss and hit your leg
i remember throws days..
and at 6yo he should have a toy.. like a 35cc poulan hehe

Ouch.. a maul.. I remember those days.. would not wish that on anybody :)

Now.. now.. a Poulan.. would not wish that on anybody either !!

The Kid is FIVE. Not 10. I'm sorry, five year olds have trouble colouring inside the lines half the time. I do not think that they have sufficient situational awareness nor sufficient response. An MS 660 is way out of control but honestly, even a smaller saw. There's just no real reason for it. The kid is going to more more tempted to ##### around with the saw when his dad isn't home. Then his friends will do the same.

I'm not saying you have to keep your kid in a plastic bubble, but come on, we're talking kindergarten age!! Even if you "teach him" how to do it, there's no way he can be a productive, competent woodcutter for a LONG time.

Kids cost too much money to risk just losing/damaging one over something like this.

+1 Very good post -- couldn't agree more.

Tim

The video should have been of the dad letting the kid hand-file his first chain. Looks like dad needs to learn how first, though. :dizzy:

Seems to be typical american excess to me. The kid should be making his first cut on an MS-180. What's he got to look forward to if he starts out fooling with a 660?

No real danger

Not the smartest idea that ever came along, but there is no imminent danger with cutting that piece of wood off until the bar is near dropping out through the bottom, the end of the log is clear off the ground so there is no chance of it binding, the saw will pull itself into the cut if throttled up . I would not recommend doing this but with supervision there is no real danger.
Pioneerguy600

At that age there is no way I would have my kid even near the working saw. BUT, at the very least dont you think safety glasses might help?

Last edited:
My 9 year old operates my splitter with me wearing eye and ear protection, he mows the field behind my house using a 26 hp 54" zero turn and just a couple of weeks go I asked him if he would like to use a chainsaw (435 16") but did not want to; he uses all sorts of tools both hand and power and plays 1 hour of video games a week, tops but with all that being said that guy in that vid took a very big chance with that kids life and future, I am a structural Ironworker and have seen plenty of bad things and they always happen when you least expect, doing the simplest of things, anybody who works in a hazardous profession should know this.

Not the smartest idea that ever came along, but there is no imminent danger with cutting that piece of wood off until the bar is near dropping out through the bottom, the end of the log is clear off the ground so there is no chance of it binding, the saw will pull itself into the cut if throttled up . I would not recommend doing this but with supervision there is no real danger.
Pioneerguy600

I guess you have never had the chain break or slip off and wrap around your leg:bang:

I guess you have never had the chain break or slip off and wrap around your leg:bang:

No, I never have!
Every chain I've ever had break (3 in over 30 years) shot straight off the end of the bar.
I've never had an elephant run through my bedroom in the middle of the night either but I'm positive that it COULD happen!
I've never had any space debris hit me either but I know that is a possibility.

The point is, all of life and living is a gamble, but life is MUCH more fun if you don't go through it paranoid all the time!!!
The world is becoming overpopulated with panty-waist fear mongers who will pick anything a person does to death and nothing you can ever do will be satisfactory to them.
If you wear eye protection, well...you should have been wearing ear protection also.
If you have eye and ear protection, "Where are your chaps?"
If you have all three of those, what about gloves and arm guards?

I guess we could all seal our children up in bank vaults when they are born and feed them through tubes, but then they would hate us for not spending more time with them.
Everyone seems to know more about raising children that the parents of those children.
Seems like the world MIGHT be better off if people would learn to.....MIND THEIR OWN D@&N BUSINESS!!!

Mike

Hell, that is nothing. When I was 6, I was sitting in the seat of my dad's 1946 Allis Chalmers Model M track layer while he tried to crank start it from the front. It wouldn't fire, so he told me to get down and "hold this". It was the end of the spark plug wire which was connected to the tractor's massive Magneto. On the third rotation of the crank, that wire fired and I was momentarily paralyzed as I fell to the ground. That was one hell of a jolt. I would have rather been running that MS660.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

I guess we could all seal our children up in bank vaults when they are born and feed them through tubes, but then they would hate us for not spending more time with them.
Everyone seems to know more about raising children that the parents of those children.
Seems like the world MIGHT be better off if people would learn to.....MIND THEIR OWN D@&N BUSINESS!!!

Mike

Well that is an interesting observation, though it makes it kind of hard in this instance for people to "Mind their own **** business" when the offender of logic and reason post the video for the public to see. As for the "knowing more than the parent(s)", I feel that that with 6 kids of my own(ages 24-4) I do have some grounds to offer my opinion on this fathers irresponsibility. When my older children wanted to learn how to shoot a shotgun I started them on a single shot with low base .410ga, not 3-3 1/2" magnum 12ga. semi-auto. When my older kids wanted to know about using a chainsaw I started with my old Stihl 009 with a 12" B& C. I try to explain the operation of what to do and what not to do, and if I see them doing something unsafe I correct it immediately, and if it happens again I make them shut it down. I would never consider letting my 4 year old use a chainsaw with or without me, but he does love to stand in the back of my truck and stack firewood(that should wear off in a couple more years)lol.......... If I see someone doing something to put themselves, or others at risk I refuse to mind my own business. Would any of us really want to live with the guilt of passing on an opportunity that could have saved someone from tragedy, and we decided to look the other way?

p.s. After watching this video a couple of times, and seeing the poor performance of this saw, I now realize the father did take precautions................he put the chain on backwards..................lol

Dad looks like he is pretty stout and even off to the side had a good grip on the saw with the dawgs always up against the wood. Other than eye and ear protection...this looks a lot better than letting your kid walk to the back of the property with a 30cc homelite and promptly barberchair an alder (not sure how I made it to 15 sometimes) maybe in a few years he can show Jr. how to safely drop a tree (hopefully with an 026 or the like) will that be dramatic and shocking as well?

Well that is an interesting observation, though it makes it kind of hard in this instance for people to "Mind their own **** business" when the offender of logic and reason post the video for the public to see. As for the "knowing more than the parent(s)", I feel that that with 6 kids of my own(ages 24-4) I do have some grounds to offer my opinion on this fathers irresponsibility. When my older children wanted to learn how to shoot a shotgun I started them on a single shot with low base .410ga, not 3-3 1/2" magnum 12ga. semi-auto. When my older kids wanted to know about using a chainsaw I started with my old Stihl 009 with a 12" B& C. I try to explain the operation of what to do and what not to do, and if I see them doing something unsafe I correct it immediately, and if it happens again I make them shut it down. I would never consider letting my 4 year old use a chainsaw with or without me, but he does love to stand in the back of my truck and stack firewood(that should wear off in a couple more years)lol.......... If I see someone doing something to put themselves, or others at risk I refuse to mind my own business. Would any of us really want to live with the guilt of passing on an opportunity that could have saved someone from tragedy, and we decided to look the other way?

p.s. After watching this video a couple of times, and seeing the poor performance of this saw, I now realize the father did take precautions................he put the chain on backwards..................lol

Well you see

He offended YOUR logic and reason!
Just as YOU offended someone elses sense of logic and reason when you let your child anywhere around a GUN!
There are those who think the citizenry of America has no need for or business with a gun....PERIOD and they ALL should be outlawed.
Those people think YOU are a knuckle dragging neanderthal and a dinosaur that has outlived his usefulness to a civilized country.

Now just imagine how you would have felt (and reacted) if one of them had "refused to mind their own business" and proceeded to approach you and tell you what you should be doing instead!!!
Everyone has opinions, especially about how "Someone else" does things, and like armpits everyones opinion but mine STINK!

The bigger problem in this country is that it is illegal to smack a busybody in the mouth even though they may DESPERATELY need and deserve it!!!

Mike

Well you see

He offended YOUR logic and reason!
Just as YOU offended someone elses sense of logic and reason when you let your child anywhere around a GUN!
There are those who think the citizenry of America has no need for or business with a gun....PERIOD and they ALL should be outlawed.
Those people think YOU are a knuckle dragging neanderthal and a dinosaur that has outlived his usefulness to a civilized country.

Now just imagine how you would have felt (and reacted) if one of them had "refused to mind their own business" and proceeded to approach you and tell you what you should be doing instead!!!
Everyone has opinions, especially about how "Someone else" does things, and like armpits everyones opinion but mine STINK!

The bigger problem in this country is that it is illegal to smack a busybody in the mouth even though they may DESPERATELY need and deserve it!!!

Mike

Nicely put!!!

Should cut the teeth off the dogs and let the bar slide down easier.

I see no problem letting a kid run the saw. You see 10 year olds running saws alone in the woods all the time in amish country.

Kids are more capable than you give em credit for.

Judging other people's actions of this nature is not a trait to be proud of.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back