I know you guys are going to be pissed at me, BUT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no idea what you guys are talking about adjusting the carb.
Don't even worry about that, Just use it. When you go to tinkering with everything that's when it will give you trouble. Modded saws may be nice but for a firewood cutter they are just a luxery. You don't need to mod it. It will work fine like it is.

carb adjustment

due to epa regulations the carb is set lean to reduce emmissions. Unfortunately the tradeoff for this is that there is an increased chance to lean seize the piston. The carb should be adjusted slightly richer to provide additional fuel. This will help cool the piston and will increase the power output slightly. Biggest reason to do this is to prevent premature failure due to excessive temps in the cylinder

I saw one 445 and a few 455 on ebay

You're right; I goofed. The 455 is the one I saw so many of on E-bay. Sorry for the confusion. But it's still a good idea to set the carb richer, because they are all lean now coming from the factory, unless you get the new computerized self tuning Husky - the 576XP I think it is.

If you do not know how to adjust the carb, leave it be or take it to a respected dealer with a good tech. Seems most posters on AS think muffler mods and tuning are they way to go, in some cases they are, but it boils down the the end user. Still new on here but have read many times.........I bought my first saw and now i'm going to do a muffler mod and port it etc.......regretfully most likely alot of these new users are blwing up there saws for the sole reason that they read somewhere that all these mods are good, yet they do not understand the relationship between the mods and the overall functionability of the saw. Any mod=carb tuning. I see alot of saws over 10 years old that have never had the carb touched and they are still cutting cord upon cord a year. Bad fuel and the screwdriver are the cause of 90% of chainsaw failures. I make it a point as a tech to spend at least 30 minutes with every person that buys a saw, I want them to understand how it works and how to use it, I explain why i'm checking the carb settings and checking all the fastners and oiler. Tell them that after they have 5-10 tanks of fuel thru it to bring it back into the shop, no charge so i can check things out again. It may not be cost effective, but leads to amazing customers, and anyone of them gets a loaner saw out of my truck in they need one right away, and I can't get to there saw till the next day.

Last edited:
Don't even worry about that, Just use it. When you go to tinkering with everything that's when it will give you trouble. Modded saws may be nice but for a firewood cutter they are just a luxery. You don't need to mod it. It will work fine like it is.

I agree in spirit with what your saying, but I just picked up an almost new 365sp, with the limiter caps, the low speed was so lean from the factory that I had to trim the limiter and back it out almost a full turn farther just to get it to run right, I'm sure it would have caused damage to keep running it that way. I'm pretty sure that's why the guy sold me the saw for the price he did, cause he didn't know how to fix it!:greenchainsaw: Just saying it pays to check such things.:)

I was just hoping I could get some re-assuring comments from you guys. I heard from both local stores “you can’t go wrong with either”. I got the Husqvarna 445 but I like the looks of the Sthill MS250. I have cut a few trees down and cut some firewood with it in the past week, no complaints, just looking for a few reassuring comments from the pros. Thanks in advance, Jake.

Ya did fine - now just run it and keep running it! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back