I need a cheapy saw.... Poulan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

testlight

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
You know the kind, I have a real saw, but I need something small, like 40 or 50 cc. I was thinking poulan, and I almost bought one at the hardware store the other day, but I thought I would ask y'all what I should do. I see baileys has a few off brand saws, but none of them really struck me as cheap, maybe I just didn't dig deep enough:)
So yeah, where's the bargain at?? Thanks everybody
P.S. The saw will be for clearing trail, some limbing, and sawing in the dirt.

You know the kind, I have a real saw, but I need something small, like 40 or 50 cc. I was thinking poulan, and I almost bought one at the hardware store the other day, but I thought I would ask y'all what I should do. I see baileys has a few off brand saws, but none of them really struck me as cheap, maybe I just didn't dig deep enough:)
So yeah, where's the bargain at?? Thanks everybody
P.S. The saw will be for clearing trail, some limbing, and sawing in the dirt.

Poulan, but avoid the Strato-charged models...Also avoid the PPX pro's.

I don't have any experience with them but I would look at echos or shindaiwa(sp)

Don't even know what the price points are on those...but they've got to be cheaper than orange.

Then again, it was apparently in town-wide garage sale day today. Saw several chainsaws there. I bet a guy who knew a thing or two about saws could find some steals. Saw two little top-handle saws just from the truck....very tempting.

I was going to say Echo, but cutting in DIRT...no good high end saw deserves that...Poulan, so when it dies it doesnt hurt your wallet so bad.

Get an old Homelite XL12 off of ebay.Their cheap and you can abuse the crap out of them.They will last a thousand times longer then a Poulon.

I'd get a poulan for what you want. I have one I bought around 93/94 that has quite a few cords on it and it still runs good. Couple of tips I'd recommend: Tune it often(everyday/elevation changes)and a tad rich, run top quality oil, don't cut on 100 deg days(you can just do it early), and don't play pro logger with them. They make good lenders when you don't want to offend someone saying no with your (insert brand here). It's what I've done with mine anyway. I get a kick out of it-curious to see how long it goes.:popcorn:

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with them but I would look at echos or shindaiwa(sp)

Don't even know what the price points are on those...but they've got to be cheaper than orange.

Then again, it was apparently in town-wide garage sale day today. Saw several chainsaws there. I bet a guy who knew a thing or two about saws could find some steals. Saw two little top-handle saws just from the truck....very tempting.

If you want a cheap saw to abuse, then go to Wal-Mart or one of the other box stores and get you a Poulan, Homelite, or Ryobi. An Echo is too expensive and too good of a saw for that and a Shindaiwa, is a top of the line Pro Saw.

If you want a cheap saw to abuse, then go to Wal-Mart or one of the other box stores and get you a Poulan, Homelite, or Ryobi. An Echo is too expensive and too good of a saw for that and a Shindaiwa, is a top of the line Pro Saw.

Hey now, he says he needs it to at least run a little bit....:monkey:

Dont get me wrong, I have owned Echo's and they are much better than today's Poulans and such. They are just underpowered and slightly under engineered for my taste. Plus I love messin with Ole Red, the boy takes it so well.

Dont get me wrong, I have owned Echo's and they are much better than today's Poulans and such. They are just underpowered and slightly under engineered for my taste. Plus I love messin with Ole Red, the boy takes it so well.

Many love em, Some like em, a few dont like em...But everyone has to admit, that that they have the superior air filter design. Ive never pulled one apart for service or repair and found anything that resembled a partially plugged filter. Stihl, husky...always replacing and cleaning plugged filters. Especially Husky, my God, its like air forces dirt and crap into the filter media at high velocity. Like some sort of Dirt injection system, or something.

Didn't your momma teach you not to make fun of the mentally challenged?:)

Latest posts

Back