I need help deciding on a chainsaw for my husband's birthday!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go with a Stihl 310 and if you can stretch it a Stihl 361. We don't even know if dolmar is going to be around in the future. Given their track record it is not promising. This woman is going to rip her hair out.:dizzy: My father has a 310 and cuts anything he wants and then some with ease.

TreeCo said:
If she really loves him it will be the 361.:laugh:

She does and will get him the 361, I can already see that. She wants her man to have the Caddilac firewood saw and the 361 is it. I mean lets face it he already has Poulans he doesn't like so no point buying him orange Poulans either,haha, I had to say that. The 5100 would fit the bill as well but I'm sure he knows of the Stihl reputation more than the Dolmar and would prefer the all time favorite over all saws, da Stihl. Him gonna be one happy hubby...

Last edited:
Dolmar dealer in Martinsville

Go to the dealer in Martinsville. Ask for Tom the owner..Tell him Eric Enk said I could come in here and buy a PS5100s for 400 dollars.he will do it..

AJLOGGER said:
We don't even know if dolmar is going to be around in the future. Given their track record it is not promising. .

hmm, Dolmar made the first chainsaw in '27, still making chainsaws. thats longer than any other manufacturer, so I could see where you would think they'd close up shop real soon.
the one I would be worried about is husky. after watching homelite and macs fall by the wayside when they started selling in box stores, I wonder how husky thinks it will be any different for them since they've started cutting their own dealers throats?
-Ralph

I have dolmars from the 1990's all still running strong...while all my newer huskys are dieing out after a few years of service, but the huskys are lighter, w/ more power, so we are addicted.

diltree said:
I have dolmars from the 1990's all still running strong...while all my newer huskys are dieing out after a few years of service, but the huskys are lighter, w/ more power, so we are addicted.

yup. the revamp of dolmar's product line is a welcome change.
-Ralph

Lady,

Do him a favor and get him a Dolmar 5100s. I too had a old crappy saw I hated. (Cheap Homelite from Mejers) I've had my 5100s 2 weeks and it's a blast!
This has got to be the best saw to get him at your $400.00 range. It has been said here more than once, that the "DOLMAR 5100 IS THE MOST POWERFUL 50cc SAW OUT THERE" It would be your best bang for the buck saw around.

Mo out!

This thread is a hoot. If my good woman bought me a saw for my birthday I would be in heaven. I think auntmeme should go with a few extra bucks and get him a real good saw. Think about it guys!!! Every time you flash up that saw you think what a wonderful lady you have!!! It don't get any better on this planet!!!! IMHO:givebeer:
Bob

begleytree said:
hmm, Dolmar made the first chainsaw in '27, still making chainsaws. thats longer than any other manufacturer, so I could see where you would think they'd close up shop real soon.
the one I would be worried about is husky. after watching homelite and macs fall by the wayside when they started selling in box stores, I wonder how husky thinks it will be any different for them since they've started cutting their own dealers throats?
-Ralph

Good post Ralph. If history of selling in box stores repeats itself on Husky like it did all the others your 100% correct. I have nothing at all againist Husky except what you pointed out, how they have slapped their own dealers, the same guys that made them big. Just doesn't seem right they would do that to them by going box store and net sales. I realize they say the dealer will get all the repairs but what they don't say is how many sales the dealers lose to internet and box store sales. I know of no dealer that has the buying power of Sears or Lowes so how can they compete, they can't, simple as that, and they're being forced to by their own supplier, to me thats BS no matter how you cut it.

Okay...so it sounds like the top 3 are the Stihl MS361, Husqvarna 350 and Dolmer 5100. The Poulan is 46cc...the Dolmer is 50cc and the MS 361 is 59cc (I can't find the cc on the Husqvarna website). Is there that much difference? Or am I not looking at the right thing power-wise? Thanks for helping narrow it down to these three. I can't find much info on the Dolmer from their website. Since they've been around for so long, shouldn't I have at least heard the name? Just asking :) By the way, you all aren't confusing too much...just narrowing down what I need to look for. Thanks again!

auntmeme said:
Okay...so it sounds like the top 3 are the Stihl MS361, Husqvarna 350 and Dolmer 5100. The Poulan is 46cc...the Dolmer is 50cc and the MS 361 is 59cc (I can't find the cc on the Husqvarna website). Is there that much difference? Or am I not looking at the right thing power-wise? Thanks for helping narrow it down to these three. I can't find much info on the Dolmer from their website. Since they've been around for so long, shouldn't I have at least heard the name? Just asking :) By the way, you all aren't confusing too much...just narrowing down what I need to look for. Thanks again!

Pure cutting power the 5100 and the 361 are close. Don't know much about the Husky. I've played with the 361 and 5100 and they are both great saws, easy to use and very easy on the back. Either one would put a smile on your hubby's face for sure. The Husky probly would as well but I have no knowledge of them. Choose the nearest dealer in your area and get him one of those three and trust me he'll be a happy camper.

THALL10326 said:
Pure cutting power the 5100 and the 361 are close. Don't know much about the Husky. I've played with the 361 and 5100 and they are both great saws, easy to use and very easy on the back. Either one would put a smile on your hubby's face for sure. The Husky probly would as well but I have no knowledge of them. Choose the nearest dealer in your area and get him one of those three and trust me he'll be a happy camper.

Missed that part about you haven't heard the Dolmar name. Yes its true, compared to Stihl and Husky the Dolmar is the small kid on the block, no question about it. However speaking on the 5100 only I can vouch its one mean little saw. Dolmar has alot of catching up to do to ever catch Stihl or Husky but the 5100 sure is on the right path. I got one, love that little saw. If you have no Dolmar dealers near then go with a name brand dealer that is near by. Any of the three your looking at will be a huge improvement over what your hubby has now.....

Vote

Why not just put it up for a vote?
If you had $400 for 1 good all around firewood saw what would you buy?
And you have all the good dealers wothin a 10 mi. radius.
my vote 5100s

Here is a link to the 5100S if you have already found it.

http://www.dolmarusa.com/site/managed/html/produkt/4084/PS-5100_S

Difference? Yes...

The Husky 350 is the lightest with the least power. The 5100c would come next with a bit more weight and big power boost. The 361 would come in third as the heavest, but with some additional power over the 5100c.

Here is a link comparing the cutting of the speed of 5100c, 361 and a larger Stihl the 440 or 460, in that order. If you time the cuts, the 361 came out ahead of the 5100 by a bit more than 1 sec, which isn't gonna really be a difference for your husbands end use. It's just demonstrates how nice the 5100c is for being a 50cc/11+lb saw.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l...ew&current=5441.flv&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

I agree it comes down to the dealer, ideally the closest dealer in your area.

I'm wondering if anyone would recommend the Husky 353 since it's built a bit tougher than the 350 and costs a little less than the 5100c?

Here is one thing to consider... Stihl has a 7 day return program, which would allow your hubby to change saws. I don't know the particulars, but I have heard it mentioned often.

I would vote 5100c on Scooterbum's proposition as my top $400 option.

EDIT: Husqvarna link to all of their saws. http://www.usa.husqvarna.com/?url=/node1519.asp?cid=51&frames=false

Last edited:
Hubby Saw

As you can see, there are lots of opinions, but they cluster around only a few choices, probably all good. I like the picture card idea, since we don't know what he has heard or what might turn him on to a particular saw. How about this:
Visit a couple of dealers and ask about their prices and support policies. Talk to a few customers leaving the shops. See if you can see the work areas. It should be clear who is turning out repair work and has people coming back!

Then put on something slightly slinky, get him to take you to lunch...have a couple of glasses of decent wine, then suggest he take you by a couple of the shops. Hang on his arm while he chats with the salesmen. Speak admiringly about all the wood he has been able to cut with the old saws. Try to guide him toward the shop/saws you have heard about here, and don't hesitate to visit two or three shops. Get some cash and when he says what he really likes, whip it out and do the deal. If you have softened up the salesman (preferably shop owner) ahead of time for a deal on chaps and helmet (or spare chains if he has the safety gear), you'll not have to bargain so hard at the end. I guarantee that if you show up with some knowledge and model numbers you get here, most of the guys will be impressed and will help you out! Then stop for a bottle of wine on the way home...you may find you need it.

Well, that fantasy has gone far enough, I expect. I don't want to get censored, now do I!

He's gonna love you, however you work out the presentation. If you made the shopping trip by Saturday, you could still let him put the saw under the tree, but I don't think it matters, as long as he has the card. You can surprise him with the rest and the buying trip will be much more fun when the holiday stuff is over.

Don't forget the hearing protectors! You want him to be able to hear you when you take out the thermos of coffee and tell him what a great job he's doing on the wood and how sweet he is to help the neighbor!

And then you can think about a trip to get him a nice splitter.

Merry Christmas,
Wilson
Still cutting and splitting at 65

What a Wife!!!

I bought a Dolmar 5100 and I am hiding it from mine!!!

I vote for the Dolmar. It is a professional quality saw, the 350 is not. The 361 would probably be an excellent saw but it is alot more $$$ and physically larger. I can't imagine anyone not being pleased with a 5100. Power, weight, and ergonics are very good.

Latest posts

Back