I quit haulin' my phone into the woodlot.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
where can I get some excreta ??hate to be left in the past :msp_confused:

A.k.a. here typically as "ect" if that helps your search, Jim. Don't step in that, it's excreta. :cool2:

(Still don't understand some force-feeding unwanted tech. K.I.S.S.)

I've never found a telephone or a shovel that I felt comfortable with. Two of the worst inventions ever.:hmm3grin2orange:
That last post had me thinking about the Steve Martin movie and I had to laugh. "Son, that there is shhhh, and this is shinola.... , now ya' know the difference".
PLOP. "thanks daddy"

At least two-thirds of all the calls that you get on a cell phone are trash calls and three-fourths of all the calls that you get on a land-line phone are trash calls.

How on earth is all of this trash going to help you cut and process firewood? Start by leaving the cell phone buried under the seat in the truck or at home. Forget answering it when you are trying to get work done. Get your work done first and tell the phone to get lost. That's my word to the wise.

Digging the smart phone for impromptu "work" Just got done fast texting and pic sending back and forth on a CL hoss trade. Fast/easy/efficient. No trade, but ya got to go through the noes to get to the yesses.

Firewood? Look on numerous threads, what is this tree, how do I fell this bad boy, check out this bragger stack, yada yada. Smart phone or good feature phone, you have a camera with you all the time.

Anyway, I carry a phone because I am sorta oncall for farm emergencies, it has come in handy before. Weighs nothing, easy to carry, accomplishes a variety of tasks. I wanted one, but waited until they got ridiculous cheap, now I have one.

I lived right at 5 years without much of any modern anything, my only two electronic anythings were a small transistor radio and a navy surplus flashlight. Candles, home made, my main light source. cooked on the woodstove year round. hauled water up a rope from a hand dug well. grew 90% of my food I ate, had chickens for eggs or went fishing. Did have a bicycle, but mostly stayed out in the woods. As mentioneed before, bowsaw and axe and me dragging the wood out for heating/syruping/cooking, average around 5 cord a year total. I liked it. but..I like some modern stuff too.

^above is to establish my protopleistocene tech level cred....well, allright. the wood cutting tools were steel.....you get the drift though, sub amish about.....

Where I live, having a landline (no free long distance), and then only being able to get dialup internet (absolutely no cable or DSL out here), used to cost me more (as of 3.5 years ago) than what I am paying now for a cellular data connection for the laptop, AND the smartphone I have now, with a lot of talk time and backup internet. The camera is..I just like pics. I have about zilch pics from when I was younger, and am sorta sorry about that now, many good times, no record at all.

Anyway, it's a no brainer economic and convenience decision for me!

No way would I go back to landline and dialup, given a choice, and at the cheap prices now, I can't see payting for a crap phone when for just a scosh more you get a LOT more device.

Where I live we do not have 911, and cell phone service is not very good. So we try to be carefull with saws in the woods

The good thing is we are not distracted reading text messages when the tree falls down.

Last edited:
The reason I asked you Spidey if your company paid for it was simply to say that if I was paying for my employees cells they better answer if I call them for something. (NOT WHILE CLIMBING A TOWER THOUGH) haha In that case I wouldn't want them to have that distraction even with them
I don't know. Maybe my business is different than others. Instant communication with my employees and customers has saved me a LOT of money. (or i'll admit that MAYBE the need for instant communication has simply become habit for me)

As for you that say that a customer "should or is" willing to wait, I can only say this. Be thankful your in that place in business.

The construction world in NW Ohio is a rapidly changing enviroment. Things happen quite quickly and usually with very little time to spare. Regardless of how good you might be, sometimes the first one to show (or even just answer the phone) is the one that's going to get the paycheck. I consider my company VERY good at what we do and we have a LONG reputation of just that. Regardless of this fact the need for instant gratification by MANY can result in the loss of a potentially high profit project even from my long term customers.

On another note.
These kids today (as we all like to say)
Are being brought up with this technology and are really quite attached to it. At my age of 45 I am going to be running my company for a very long time yet. The customers that are going to see me into retirement are likely not even out of high school yet. (We just remodeled a break room in a factory that had a 28 year old plant manager. He was a text and email freak.)
My point is that the younger generation of people are going to be even more connected than we are now. As a business owner you have a choice. Keep up. Or just refuse.
I for one have decided that keeping up, can, does, and will, keep me on top.

So the next time you see some high school kid tapping out a text to his buddy. Remember that in ten or so years he might be the one deciding on who gets to build the $80,000.00 addition to his factory.

I remember back in the day when all there was, what we now call a land line.
Back before the push button telephone was invented it was all rotary dial, and the lower the numbers in your phone number the faster it could be dialed. To make a long distance call you had to get an operator to assist you. You couldn’t just call long distance on your own.
I remember how long it took to get a message to someone back then. It was a pain in the ass.
Then came radio for commercial use, like decanted Motorola radios for drivers and people on the move. Even CB radios were used a lot.
Then came the push button phone and it was a break through in dialing speed.
Then answering machines came out and then came redial and soon after came caller ID.
Then came the pager along about that time and you would have to find a pay phone and it usually was a long distance call.
Once we got through the early cell phone days with the bag phone and the brick phone the first low cost cell phones came out and the explosion began.
Now we have smart phones and instant assess to all kinds of technology at our fingertips.
Trust me, it’s a lot better now and I have seen how production has increased over the years all because of how fast we can communicate.
Workers out in the field can now get help or assistance at lightning speed.
We have come so far and I cant wait to see it grow and what’s to come.

Last edited:
It's hard to act like a tuff guy when you're lying in a pool of your blood miles from anywhere…
That little device that you loath so much is your #1 safety device, wise up!!!!
Whoa!! Where did that come from?? I never said I loathed anything… in fact I all but pronounced adoring love for my old compact flip-phone. This was about those huge, fragile “smart-phones” with internet access, e-mail, texting, talk-back to you, and “apps” that will do anything and everything, probably even wipe your butt… I said I didn’t “see the need, nor do I have the desire to be that connected” every waking hour of my life.

And if’n there’s that much blood I’d gladly trade my cell phone for a tourniquet any day!!!

Says the guy sitting front of his computer reading message boards on the Internet. :laugh:
If you want to live "back in the day" why are you on the internet even?
(shrug) Spending a little leisure time at the desktop during morning coffee or waiting for the evening meal, reading a message board related to a hobby or something else you enjoy, is hardly the same thing as having your smart-phone make dinging noises every time someone posts to a “subscribed” thread 24/7.

...it's just a fact of country living. If you don't have first aid skills and equipment, a cell phone will do little more than help them find your body.
L-O-L
It won’t even “help them find your body”… it just informs them to start lookin’ for it.

…I do get a kick out of how some people make these broad sweeping statements blasting technology on an internet forum.
I’m not reading anyone “blasting technology”… but being our storefront is a cellular store I see the way people have allowed gadget technology to become what their life is all about. They come walking in with a busted smart-phone in their hand… and when you hand them a dumb-phone to use as a loaner, inform them it will be 10-20 days to get it repaired, they act like someone just cut off their legs. Seriously, some get tears in their eyes, others get mad and throw temper tantrums like a child… often they’ll just dish-out another 300-500 dollars for a new smart-phone rather than “live” without the “smart” part of it for a couple weeks (and I ain’t talkin’ about people who need it, or use it for business). That there is the “broad sweeping” facts of it… and that’s just flat sad.

I see people at social gatherings screwing around on their smart-phone all the time... they simply do not know how to interact personally with people. Rather than “socialize” with the people standing all around them at a “social” event, they sit in the corner and “socialize” with a gadget. Personally, I don’t carry my phone at such events (even my old, dumb flip)… I came to interact with “real” face-to-face people.

The reason I asked you Spidey if your company paid for it... if I was paying for my employees cells they better answer if I call them...
I sure can’t argue with you on that… the thing is, depending on the job I’m doing at the time, it just flat ain’t practical to carry a smart-phone all the time like it was the smaller, lighter, more robust flip phone. It won’t ride safely in a shirt pocket, tool pouch, or even my pants pocket most of the time… and putting it in some sort of “protective” case only makes it bigger, heavier, bulkier and harder to carry. My idea of a “cell” phone is the smallest, lightest, most compact device possible, something as easy to carry as a pocket knife… it only needs to ring when someone calls, nothing more.

I understand the convenience of instant “everything, anywhere” a smart-phone can offer… if you really need it. But the trade-off ain’t worth it to me… I just need a phone, and I want nothing more.

Last edited:
I remember back in the day when all there was, what we now call a land line.
Back before the push button telephone was invented it was all rotary dial, and the lower the numbers in your phone number the faster it could be dialed. To make a long distance call you had to get an operator to assist you. You couldn’t just call long distance on your own.
I remember how long it took to get a message to someone back then. It was a pain in the ass.
Then came radio for commercial use, like decanted Motorola radios for drivers and people on the move. Even CB radios were used a lot.
Then came the push button phone and it was a break through in dialing speed.
Then answering machines came out and then came redial and soon after came caller ID.
Then came the pager along about that time and you would have to find a pay phone and it usually was a long distance call.
Once we got through the early cell phone days with the bag phone and the brick phone the first low cost cell phones came out and the explosion began.
Now we have smart phones and instant assess to all kinds of technology at our fingertips.
Trust me, it’s a lot better now and I have seen how production has increased over the years all because of how fast we can communicate.
Workers out in the field can now get help or assistance at lightning speed.
We have come so far and I cant wait to see it grow and what’s to come.

Ok, production has increased. Has anybodys leisure time or income increased because of all the instant communication? I'd say for most, no...it just means we all do more in a days time.

So... LOL... is it something I do??

Ya' just gotta' love the internet... don't ya'??

Usually, yes, this time no. It just grew wheels and took off! :laugh:

Either way, I think most of us enjoy your threads, even though sometimes it's like rubbernecking a car crash along the highway :D

So, in the midst of this heavy discussion.........................

Last night I was reading a book; The Battle of Jutland/British Naval Command by Andrew Gordon. Awesome book about the Royal Navy before and during WWI.

Well, it was at this time that the RN was incorporating wireless telegraphy, "WT" into their fleet communications, which up until then was mostly done by signal flags. And with the arrival of WT, the ease of sending messages resulted in a bombardment of unimportant messages "of all manner of triviality".

Just thought I'd mention it. :laugh:

no matter what era ...the techno weenies just got to be arse deep in the latest and newest things :dizzy::hmm3grin2orange:

Gas chainsaws, gas splitters, gas or diesel trucks and tractors and skidsteers, etc..but if you use a more modern phone you are a technoweenie?

nyuh huh

I swore off all this technology stuff, never had more than a flip cell phone. Felt the same way most do here.

Then was given an iPhone 3G.

And now, I don't leave without my iPhone. It goes with me everywhere.

It's a phone with full access to Internet, email, messaging. It's a camera, HD video recorder, flashlight, handheld gaming system, radio, music player, GPS navigation, and much more.

It's like a Swiss Army knife, it does everything. It's really pretty amazing.

I rarely text or actually make phone calls with it though......

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ETA: must really like the email, I listed it twice! :)

Last edited:
I swore off all this technology stuff, never had more than a flip cell phone. Felt the same way most do here.

Then was given an iPhone 3G.

And now, I don't leave without my iPhone. It goes with me everywhere.

It's a phone with full access to Internet, email, messaging. It's a camera, HD video recorder, flashlight, handheld gaming system, radio, music player, email, GPS navigation, and much more.

It's like a Swiss Army knife, it does everything. It's really pretty amazing.

I rarely text or actually make phone calls with it though......

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

That is an excellent description and "swiss army knife" analogy.

I don't have a land line, but on my cell I can't remember the last time I got a b/s call. It's been at least several years. Just about all of the calls I get are from customers, employees, family/friends or other businesses (parts are in, truck is fixed, etc)

On an average day I might spend 20-30 mins total on the phone. Most of the time in the morning before I start working or during a break. If I don't answer or make calls that means customers go elsewhere.
I know when I do bids with contractors I cross them off the list if they don't answer the phone or call me back in 24hrs. Can't take the time to call back, you don't need my money.

It's all good though, I'm not going to argue how I run my company to people I don't even know. It works for me, I'm making decent money and almost having fun most days... pretty decent gig I think.

At least two-thirds of all the calls that you get on a cell phone are trash calls and three-fourths of all the calls that you get on a land-line phone are trash calls.

How on earth is all of this trash going to help you cut and process firewood? Start by leaving the cell phone buried under the seat in the truck or at home. Forget answering it when you are trying to get work done. Get your work done first and tell the phone to get lost. That's my word to the wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
...I don't leave without my iPhone. It goes with me everywhere.
...It's like a Swiss Army knife, it does everything.

See... it's all in how you look at things, and how you approach daily life.
I don't carry a Swiss Army Knife for the same reason I don't carry the Smart-Phone; the trade-off in size, weight, bulk and durability ain't worth it to me... I carry a quality lock-back with a single, 2-inch, drop-point blade. I don't need or want a corkscrew, leather punch, tree saw, can opener and whatnot attached to my pocket knife. What I need is a tough, reliable, sharp blade, what I want is for it to be light, small, compact, pocket portable and accessible... and in a "worst-case" scenario, I can make that 2-inch blade accomplish (well enough to get by) any task a Swiss Army Knife can.

I don't need or want the internet, email, messaging, camera, video recorder, flashlight, gaming system, radio, music player, GPS and whatnot attached to my cell phone. What I need is a tough, reliable device that can make and receive phone calls from the field, what I want is for it to be light, small, compact, pocket portable and accessible... and in a "worst-case" scenario, I can use a simple phone call to get any information I may need (well enough to get by).

Ya' know??? This really is about need vs. want...

Last edited:
See... it's all in how you look at things, and how you approach daily life.
I don't carry a Swiss Army Knife for the same reason I don't carry the Smart-Phone; the trade-off in size, weight, bulk and durability ain't worth it to me... I carry a quality lock-back with a single, 2-inch, drop-point blade. I don't need or want a corkscrew, leather punch, tree saw, can opener and whatnot attached to my pocket knife. What I need is a tough, reliable, sharp blade, what I want is for it to be light, small, compact, pocket portable and accessible... and in a "worst-case" scenario, I can make that 2-inch blade accomplish (well enough to get by) any task a Swiss Army Knife can.

I don't need or want the internet, email, messaging, camera, video recorder, flashlight, gaming system, radio, music player, GPS and whatnot attached to my cell phone. What I need is a tough, reliable device that can make and receive phone calls from the field, what I want is for it to be light, small, compact, pocket portable and accessible... and in a "worst-case" scenario, I can use a simple phone call to get any information I may need (well enough to get by).

Ya' know??? This really is about need vs. want...

Ever go into a phone store and try to get a phone like that the kids they hire look at you like you are nuts. I agree with you that is what i need a phone that rings and you can answer it. some of my customers have a fit because i have text shut off. I see no reason for me to try to type something when i can take care of it with a few spoken words.

Back when I first got a cell, for work, it was a Motorola bag phone. Then when time allowed I got a Nokia 6010. I figured that was to "old" so I bought a flip phone with a camera. The only thing wrong with it was reception. It was pitiful. So I went back to the 6010 and still use it today. When it goes bad, I go on Ebay, pay $20 for another one, change the sim card and battery, and go on. I've been doing this for about 10 years now. Folks make fun of me with my old "antique", but it works, allows me to text and has great reception. A new phone is something I don't have to have just because somebody else has one. I don't try to keep up with anybody, so why worry with a smart phone when what I have is smarter than I am anyway?

Latest posts

Back