I really like my 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP mentioned the challenging environment cutting in piles of storm blow-downs.

Just thought I should point out that IMHO chaps are almost mandatory there. DAMHIKT. :msp_wink:

OP mentioned the challenging environment cutting in piles of storm blow-downs. Just thought I should point out that IMHO chaps are almost mandatory there.

Always wear them. Agree that storm clean up is a much less predictable situations, compared to bucking firewood from a pile.

Bumping this thread because I just came back from 3 days of blow-down clean up, again, doing a lot of work with my 353, using a 16" bar and NK chain. Worked great on a variety of hard and softwood trees, some exceeding the length of the bar. Threw big chips even with low kickback chain. Lighter weight saw is nice when reaching around in a tangled pile, especially after a few hours (or days) of work. Does not replace larger saws when a longer bar, or more cc's are needed, but that's why we have more than one, right?

Philbert

I know it's not quite the same since it's not a pro saw (plastic case vs. mag case) but I love my 350 for the smaller stuff where the 372 is overkill. It's great for limbing and bucking wood up to 15". Upgrading it to a flat topped 353 piston and a mild port job really woke the saw up and it pulls an 18" bar with BPX very well. It sure is nice picking the 12lb saw up after running the 372 with a 24" B&C.

OP mentioned the challenging environment cutting in piles of storm blow-downs.

Just thought I should point out that IMHO chaps are almost mandatory there. DAMHIKT. :msp_wink:
I know I'm going to get flak about this but out in the brush I don't wear chaps because they get caught up in the vine maple and all undergrowth, but I wear the internal chaps in my pants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it's not quite the same since it's not a pro saw (plastic case vs. mag case) but I love my 350 for the smaller stuff where the 372 is overkill. It's great for limbing and bucking wood up to 15". Upgrading it to a flat topped 353 piston and a mild port job really woke the saw up and it pulls an 18" bar with BPX very well. It sure is nice picking the 12lb saw up after running the 372 with a 24" B&C.
372 isn't a bad limping and bucking saw with a 32" bar all day, one way to look at it is the more you run them daily the more your muscles and back won't bug you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the Jonsered equivalents (CS2150/HVA350 & CS2152/HVA353) are great products. However, the solid build of the CS2152 makes it the preferable tool. Our CS2152 from year 2004 gained more performance after a recent carburator diaphragm kit.

I've had a couple of 353's but never cut with them......please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe if you are unhappy with a 353, you can convert it to a 346 for about $100? I'm just waiting until snow is off the ground to try out three 350's ....one with a flat top 353 piston, one with a 346 piston and cylinder ( aftermarket, I'm sorry) and a stock 350 ( 353 ) with pop up piston. I really don't mind the plastic for the discounted price....

Latest posts

Back