I think it's time for a new 'big' saw. Recommendations?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thinking about a Stihl 661RCM and the Echo 800P. Willing to entertain other options.

Wanting 32" or 36" bar length.

Echo - 4.92 cu in
up to 36" bar
28.9 fuel capacity
16.5 lbs
$850 or so

Stihl - 5.56 cu in
up to 32" bar
27.9 fuel capacity
16.8 lbs
$1,200??

I just picked up a 661r it’s a hog compared to my ms440.

Attachments

• A05E6BD0-2238-4EBC-8A74-3AB116B0DB7E.jpeg
    A05E6BD0-2238-4EBC-8A74-3AB116B0DB7E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 54
A 661 can handle a 36" bar in hardwood with no issue.

661, 36" bar, white oak.

img_0640-jpg.560169

I have a 660 but would never consider buying a new one. Trees that big are not worth the damage they do to my body and equipment. And there are also no trees that big where I get my "free" logs. I only use t for bucking once in awhile. I'll be using it at a neighbours next week end to drop a tree and maybe buck it then it will go back into the barn until the next weak moment. I use my 440 for dropping trees and bucking usually. I did just buy a 36" bar to put on my Alaskan but doubt I will ever use it. My bandsaw will cut 30" but I don't plan to cut a straight log that long.
Do you have that much work for a 661? Do you want to man handle a tree that big?

If you are looking at the echo I would throw in the ms-461 in there also. What saws do you have currently and how often will it wear a big bar? My suggestion would change based on what you have now. If you have saws on the 40-50cc class I would go to the 75-80cc range. If you have something in the 50-60cc range just go 90+ cc. Personally having saws from 30cc to 100+ cc I pull the MS460 the most and second being the Echo cs-490 they are both strong saw for their weight and that is the problem with a big saw.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My brain went off its rail, I have a cs-490 not a 400.

I have a 660 but would never consider buying a new one. Trees that big are not worth the damage they do to my body and equipment. And there are also no trees that big where I get my "free" logs. I only use t for bucking once in awhile. I'll be using it at a neighbours next week end to drop a tree and maybe buck it then it will go back into the barn until the next weak moment. I use my 440 for dropping trees and bucking usually. I did just buy a 36" bar to put on my Alaskan but doubt I will ever use it. My bandsaw will cut 30" but I don't plan to cut a straight log that long.
Do you have that much work for a 661? Do you want to man handle a tree that big?

661's love to noodle!

My current saws are in my sig. Echo 370 and 670 plus a top handle Stihl. Kinda skimpy, but I want to be able to tackle whatever I get. The 27" bar on my Echo has done it so far, but I would like to have a 32". 5 inches can do wonders. (Did I ever tell you how many kids I have?).

I don't mind handling huge trees. One can cut them to manageable pieces and I'm still as strong as an ox (a baby ox - like newborn, you know) and nearly as smart.

I am on Tapatalk so I cannot see your sig, sorry about that. If you can pull a 27 now I would go about big as your budget allows. I didn't do that and find myself with a 660 and an 880 ( darn Post oak!!!). 880's around here run about$1800 so not a huge leap from a 661. I am not sure about the Husky offerings as I am partial to Stihl mostly due to the fact I have a good dealer 2 blocks from the house.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I'm usually an echo fan but in this class, I'd say the 661. Runs a 36" bar very well. It's a smooth and powerful beast. Not bashing the echo but the 800 just never appealed to me. I've also seen some very strong husky 390s but never ran one.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I'm usually an echo fan but in this class, I'd say the 661. Runs a 36" bar very well. It's a smooth and powerful beast. Not bashing the echo but the 800 just never appealed to me. I've also seen some very strong husky 390s but never ran one.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

This.

Or Husky 395.

I have the husky 395 (10 years or so with many hours). I have a 36" bar for it bur use it sparingly (use a 24" mostly). The 36" makes the saw unbalanced towards the front (as it would on most saws). I would rather cut from both sides with a 24", that's a 48" log and I don't run into many trees bigger than that even doing tree work everyday. Mostly need the 36" flushing stumps, although with a little noodling I've flushed some big ones with a 24". Any saw where you max out the recommended bar length it will be quite a load on the engine so you won't want to run it everyday like that. Just like a truck and maxing out the towing capacity everyday.

Johnsred 2188, Stihl 660, or a husky 390/395.
Do you have a dolmar or makita dealership close by? IMO start your selection based on size of saw you need, then find a dealership that you like.
With one saw at 30ishcc and another at 66. I’d look at something in 90cc range. I’m feeling 80cc might be to close to your 670 and you won’t see the advantage unless your retiring the 670 then 80 should be enough. Especially if it’s occasionally needing 32+ inches ofbar, then I think you can get away with 80cc. The

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stihl dealer 2 blocks away, Echo dealer 10 min drive away. Don't know about other dealers. I was hoping to keep it under $1,000, but I'll pay for quality if I must. Hoping that I can get the Echo functioning decently, so I'll be up to 4 saws again.

I loved my cs8000. Possibly the most reliable saw I've owned.

It comes down to perspective. To me it is solid, has plenty of torque, dependable, just a great work saw.

If you are used to more modern saws it will rev low, feel heavy, and vibrate more than you're used to.

Stihl dealer 2 blocks away, Echo dealer 10 min drive away. Don't know about other dealers. I was hoping to keep it under $1,000, but I'll pay for quality if I must. Hoping that I can get the Echo functioning decently, so I'll be up to 4 saws again.

The thing about the 661 that got to me was the weight. I was in a stand that required 25" of bar at times and I felt like I was pushing the 441 to hard with that bar in the oak, hickory and hard maple we were clearing. Toted around the 661 for a few days before realizing the 461 weighed the same as the 441, but less than the 661 and it was a no brainer. Shelved the 661, sold the 441 and bought a 461.

My poor 362 almost never gets used now. The 461 is my primary bucking saw at the bucking station with the 25" bar and the 241 handles clean up duty.

If you have a decent 70+cc saw, then the 661 rounds out the top end nicely. But it is a large chunk of cash to lay down...

If you dont have a decent 70+cc saw, save a couple hundred and get the 461. Its a solid performer and could pull skip chain on a larger bar in a pinch.

I have an echo 8000 and I like it when it's running but I feel like it hasn't taken wear and tear that great. I have had it for about 6 years now and cut over 100 cord a year. I enjoy the power but have had too many minor issues. My biggest complaint is there is no decompression switch. Starting it when cold is hard on the shoulder and I have gone through close to a half dozen pull cords and one pull cord assembly.

Latest posts

Back