I think that I have an issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DX250

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I will start out with this saw is a new to me running Stihl MS 460. Well sort of running it has a wandering idle. I was assuming it was some sort of air leak or a carb rebuild/replace. In the tear down to replace seals and the rubber bits I found this behind the carb.
IMG_20160622_181858874.jpg
Being the first 2-stroke that I have torn down in any way I figured I would consult the experts but I am thinking I am looking at a new top end

Most if not all the Stihl cylinders have the number cast into the side of it. It will also say Mahle on it who I think is the manufacturer. If you don't see any of that it's probably aftermarket. I'm kinda concerned about what's inside the intake port, does it look like something's broken in there or not?

The section on the right, between the rings seems to be missing.

I have yet to put chain to wood with this saw. I was told about the idle issue and figured fix it before it gets burned up.

I had a feeling. I will preface the next question with. I have a 396 in a Jeep. Are the 54mm kits worth while. I will be using this saw for mostly milling.

Yeah just made a run to a certain orange store to get a torx bit long enough (out of stock) to pull the cylinder. I figure that I will just go with OEM. I do have a dealer within walking distance.

I am just going to order a new piston and cylinder kit, rubber bits and anything else that I see worn. I know this saw has a lot of hours on it so I might as well do it all while I am in there. At least I got a good deal on the thing.

Back