ID this Stihl, then I'll tell you the rest of the story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I had to go... I was acused (rightfully so) of being anti-social... Damn dinner guests...:mad: I thought the game would play out in a few moves... and had the time, but...

Well done Jacob J. and Teksim... You solved the puzzle without random guesses. I rep you all if I have bullets.

044 crank case, 440 cylinder/piston, with an 046 rear end (tank, filter base, air-filter box). And yes, 3/4/full wrap, big side cover etc to make it a real magnum wrap.

I'll fill you all in on "why" etc in the morning...

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

My guess is it started life as an 064. it now wears a 660 top end and filter.
the wrap handle is window dressing, the decomp and the magnum label, and the non-DP muffler are there to throw us off.

anyhow, its a guess.
-Ralph

Sorry, I'm not so devious... The lack of DP is only temporary:hmm3grin2orange:

Its an 045

Alright guys I'm back had to do the family thing.

Its definitely not a 066 since the carb adjustment holes are in the tank body and not the filter base.

It has the horizontal top cover screws which peg it as an 044/440 or an 046/460. It cant be a 440 or 460 cause all of the MS models have flipper caps, so it has to be an 046 or 044. It has the 046 filter cover and a decompression valve (hence my first guess). The new hints lake gave us narrow down that it started life as an 044. We know that it has been run over and likely had the tank replaced, probably with the 046 tank and thus the 046 filter cover. (am I getting warmer) Tough call on the cylinder and top cover not sure if its 046/460 or 044/440?? The 044 was made with the decompression valve but don't seem to be as common as the ones without, so my first thought was its a 046/460 cylinder and top cover, from the same saw the tank came from. But since lake is being a little full of himself tonight the most obvious answer may not be the right one.

So my new guess is its a 045:laugh:

An 044 with the 046 tank and filter assembly.

Take your pick on the cylinder 044/440 or 046/460 but probably just the 044 w/decomp

Did I get it this time??

lol. good thread Andy! i thought every combination of 44/46 were deemed wrong and its hard to tell scale looking at washington state from Ohio :D
-Ralph

You were almost there Erick!! The exact details are in Teksim's post.. you must have missed it... but you covered your bases..:cheers:

Well it looks like I'm late again

Man all that while I was typing (and putting the little girl to bed)

This is what I miss when I'm out fishing all day. I thought it looked a little unbalanced front to back.

I got Jacob for you, but was out of bullets for Tim.

I was hoping you were away.. figured you would whip out your saws and look at them.. oh wait, you sold the 460... :laugh: :laugh:

Tried to rep ya for all this mess lake but well you know.

Nice thread good fun wish I could type faster

Before I get to page 3 I'mma guessing something like an older 020 with added parts, but what do I know, now to go find out :p

Edit. Like I guessed, a bad guess. :(

Great headscratcher there Lake, good fun! Sry m8 no bullets!

Last edited:
I was hoping you were away.. figured you would whip out your saws and look at them.. oh wait, you sold the 460... :laugh: :laugh:

True, but I know a 460 ass-end anywhere! No doubt where the filter and cover came from. And the 440 and 460 tanks are the same, but for capacity, correct?

The rest....

Last Saturday (a week go) I was going to build my woodshed extension, but it rained so hard I was driven back to my messy shop. I needed to get to my saw table, but it was covered in saw parts and projects, some having been there for 3 months or more... I started cleaning up...

I'd had an 044 project in the works for 6 months, but never really had a complete saw so I'd been slowly horse trading and tearing parts off badly broken carcasses. I figured, screw the cleanup... it will never get restarted if I put it all away..

Some of the parts history..

About a year ago WAGONWHEELER (where is that guy???) gave me a crushed 440 in exchange for some labor rebuilding his 660. Good piston, cylinder, crank and small pasts, but every case and plastic part was toast. A second crushed junker (really crushed) yielded the filter base, filter cover and few minor parts.

RBTREE gave me an EARLY (mid 1995) 12mm pin crankcase he'd bought off ebay in exchange for some 044 labor. Unfortunately RB's damp closet wasn't the best place for storage... the crank was "rough" in the big end and the bearings were shot (prior owner). I cleaned this case up and painted it for the "Build your own degree wheel project" late last year. Unfortunately I put the wrong (rough) crank in!! I had also put in new bearings - came in a lot I bought off ebay - marked as "unknown stihl"..lolol

The 046 tank came from a customer saw - he'd dropped it out of a tree and broken the handle at the base. I replaced the tank - he didn't want the old tank. I'd always been told that the 046 tank was the same as the 044 except for the carb stud lengths, and had even repeated that on AS... As I found out... WRONG....

The nice side covers were the result of trading other parts I'd accumulated over the years. The recoil I first swapped for a 361 cover I go on ebay for $20, then later for a brand new cover - a customer had to have one that day... so I got the new one.

The top handle - first swapped a standard handle for a wrap (Yep!!!), then the wrap for a new wrap - same deal as the side cover - a customer really needed one .. so... upgrade..

Back to a week ago... The only way to really find out what was missing was to start building. I'd fixed a few 044 for different guys, so my easy to find parts had been picked over.. Tore apart the rebuilt crankcase, inserted the "other" crank, piston...new rings - the old rings weren't that bad, but... Coil, flywheels, oil pump, clutch etc and an hour or two (I really had to dig for some parts..) and I was ready for the tank.

Never had fixed it as I didn't have a good plan. I wanted it to look good as well as be strong. I needed to preserve the screw access for the tank rear handle cover, and that left little room to play. I first tacked the plastic parts back together with a soldering iron, then drilled two holes - one either side of the access screw - from the bottom though to the cover compartment. Two 16D galvanized nails bent to the perfect shape, insert inverted and rotate around and they snapped into place. Epoxy the bottom and end, wait a few hours, then epoxy inside the handle cover compartment.. stronger than new..

You can see the two nail heads - just..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sunday morning.. epoxy has set. Quick muffler port (enlarge existing EPA pea hole), derust, paint and bake.. quick carb rebuild...

Insert tank into engine, button up.. carb, wires, switch shaft, 044 filter base -HUH????? it doesn't fit!!! Sure enough.. the 046 tank is about 10mm wider at the BASE than the 044 tank, but shares the same right hand section as the 044. This means the right side lines up, but the left does not... damn... :( I need my spirts lifted.. two spacer blocks on the carb screws, carb nuts, fuel, three pulls - COUGH, one more - WHRROOOOMMMM.... now I felt better.. :)

Back to the tank... I needed a new top cover, and it has to be the 044/MS440 style anyhow.. I could buy a new MS440 tank but I be stuck with a flip cap on the rear. A quick call to my buddy at cheapstihlsawparts confirmed that he didn't have any decent 044 tanks.... The cheapest way out was the make the 046 parts work. I swapped the 044 filter bases and connector for the 044 parts, and ordered an 046 filter cover.

The top lines up reasonably well, but you end up with a small gap to the left right beside the recoil. I can just see me snagging my hand and o cold morning.

attachment.php

Heat gun to the INSIDE of the cover while pressing on a flat surface, and the flare has gone.

attachment.php

I'm pretty happy with the result. The saw looks great, works like new, and has a larger fuel capacity than an 044. Should make up for the decreased economy after the muffler is DP.... The carb box cover is better on the 046 - the carb can be warmed by cylinder or outside air via the mesh at the back of the filter base - the 044 cannot.

attachment.php

Might have to get a DP port muffler front this week..

Last edited:
Back