idiot chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idiot chainsaws come with pull start assist mechanisms and decomp. valves for engines that do not need them. If the purchaser of said saws cannot start the saw without those features then they are a chainsaw idiot for not knowing when to hire someone capable of the task. Yes, today I got to listen to a person who needs to quit cutting complain about the easy start system being to hard to pull.

Justsaws said:
Idiot chainsaws come with pull start assist mechanisms and decomp. valves for engines that do not need them. If the purchaser of said saws cannot start the saw without those features then they are a chainsaw idiot for not knowing when to hire someone capable of the task. Yes, today I got to listen to a person who needs to quit cutting complain about the easy start system being to hard to pull.

:ices_rofl: :ices_rofl:

even my big sis and mom can start a chainsaw :hmm3grin2orange:

idiot chainsaw

idiot chainsaw =saw that a person buys and can tell the difference from cheap to impossible to parts for like um let me see o'yea mcculloch cus ans swear saw sold at let o'yea i remember i'see demm at kmart falapart. if idiot buys a saw from a box store that sell every thing but aint got da service department to fix it in house :taped: :chainsaw: any saw let say for kraps and grins that sells for less than $2000.00 new =:confused: :welcome: trash:

Justsaws said:

I guess you like drop starting up in a tree?

yup i ment it

$200.00 or les = krap and lots of woodshed :taped: : if your moma bought one of these that be okedokey but if you bought it to use then you are a redneck for sure or were you planning on useing on your mother in laws hdges thent leave the saw as calling card tha a logger is in the family
:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Idiot chainsaw = Pull-on 3416. Worst was ever built. They run and cut once maybe twice. Local Ace where I worked has atleast 30 in back that were returned. Oiler was designed by a 4 year old, carb works great unless you need it, tensioner is useless, the fylewheel and magneto like to form one peice. Folks love to buy them though. I found the best way to sell a Solo was to sell them a Pull-on first.

Lakeside53 said:

Nope, but I also do not like it when people empower people who should not so they feel that they might.

Hopefully if your up in a tree you can start it with out having to resort to drop starting, if not you probably should not have taken it up in the tree with you.

I will say that I do not climb, I leave that to those that can. If I cannot fell it I have no problems letting someone with more skills do it. Know your limitations and respect them. I am a ground hugger and I always will be, swaying in the breeze makes me hurl and get light headed. Neither is good in a tree or with a saw.

need to incorporate a good blipping action from ground up, easy to climb and blip after having mastered the refuel bliperaction.:blob2:

seriously, (although blipping can cause suckback blop), i don't think 2-strokes like idling, they like to rev, up and down, all the time....:chainsawguy: :laugh:

Idiots, two idiots playing chicken with chainsaws !!!!!!!!
Revving a saw is one way of getting groundsman to
clear the drop zone I rev my saw as most here have
and that doesn't make you an idiot. Running it wide open
five minutes would make you an idiot lol.

Last edited:
Well, I do think the "greatest poll" on Asite establishes a pretty convincing answer to this thread, does it not? :laugh:

Huh, Then I wonder why ALL the pro moto-X and super-X riders have someone to stand next to them on the starting line to blip the throttle while they get ready for the start.:dizzy:

Buncha idiots.:rolleyes:

Another reason for this is most race bikes wont idle, got to blip em to keep em running.

Idiot chainsaw = Pull-on 3416. Worst was ever built. They run and cut once maybe twice. Local Ace where I worked has atleast 30 in back that were returned. Oiler was designed by a 4 year old, carb works great unless you need it, tensioner is useless, the fylewheel and magneto like to form one peice. Folks love to buy them though. I found the best way to sell a Solo was to sell them a Pull-on first.

You know, i maybe am the only person who's ever had any luck with this saw.

I bought one (a poulan 3416) several years ago. At the time i KNEW it was a "toy" but I had 2 things in mind: 1) I had never used a chainsaw before so I wanted a cheap introduction to the beasts. 2) I had very little cash. I bought this thing for $125 canadian at the local canadian tire sale.

The first year I had it, I used it all the time - every weekend really. I had no idea what I was doing in terms of sharpening the chain, adjusting the carb etc, but I managed to use it without blowing the thing up or injuring myself. I did about 3 cords of wood that year - JUST with that saw. It took forever but it did the job.

By the next year I had managed to find several old saws at garage sales including a Stihl 056 super, a Stihl 0S8, a homelite super xl12 and more. My poulan sat without fluids for a year or more.

I sold the stihls (found the 056 too big for most everything I needed and didnt like the lack of a brake on the 0s8 too) and bought a brand new dolmar 5100 last fall.

The dolmar put everything else I had ever used to shame - sure it wasnt as powerful as the 056, but when you compared size, weight, speed - it was unstoppable.

This year I went to use the Dolly & it just died. Cut out & died. No idea what the problem was. I took it to my dealer (died ONE DAY before the warranty was up! Whew!) and while he's had it for a few weeks, still cant figure out what the heck happened.

In the meantime, the Missus wants some firewood!

My Homelite XL would be the obvious choice in the meantime, but its still a work in progress. I have a little homelite x2 and a small craftsman, but neither is particularly great saws.

So I turned to the Poulan. I gave it a new bar and chain (pulled off a craftsman) and fired it up.

Well, in the last 2 weeks Ive cut about 1 1/2 - 2 cords of wood. The Poulan fires up every time, idles nicely and with a proper bar & chain, actually cuts relatively fast.

Of course its no comparison to the stihls I owned or the Dolmar im waiting back on, but it is surprisingly useable if you change the bar/chain and take care of it.

Of course taking care of it (i.e. cleaning the filter) requires you to Unscrew the handle!! lol, and take out about 8 screws. Talk about not making it easy.

Anyway, I just thought id chime in. I know my experiences are NOT typical, I would NOT recommend anyone else buy this saw, but I think that with some work, sometimes cheap saws will work in a pinch. Plus I have a loaner that I dont worry about if my father in law needs one.

idiot saws..... well id have to say the o66 and 372. why? well after a storm mr. business suit drives home in his beemer to see a branch fallen down in his yard.being a saturday his mexicans wont be there till monday so he puts on his timberlans and eddie bower flanels drives to the local saw dealer dealer sees a big shiny saw for a measly 900 smackers.plunks down his chase platnum,buys all the bells and whistles and walks out . gos home dresses up like robocop in all his new gear fiddles for a half hour to get hit monsters saw running cuts up said 3" branch. neatly stacks all depris by the curb. puts hit new toy in the garge only to sell it 9 months later becaus he never needs to use it again. idiot saw.

idiot saws..... well id have to say the o66 and 372. why? well after a storm mr. business suit drives home in his beemer to see a branch fallen down in his yard.being a saturday his mexicans wont be there till monday so he puts on his timberlans and eddie bower flanels drives to the local saw dealer dealer sees a big shiny saw for a measly 900 smackers.plunks down his chase platnum,buys all the bells and whistles and walks out . gos home dresses up like robocop in all his new gear fiddles for a half hour to get hit monsters saw running cuts up said 3" branch. neatly stacks all depris by the curb. puts hit new toy in the garge only to sell it 9 months later becaus he never needs to use it again. idiot saw.

Thats idiot saw user, not idiot saw. Those are great saws. Very funny and so true though!

Here are two idiot owner saws in the one story. A guy is hired by an organization that runs a rehab services to set up a sheltered workshop style woodworking shop. Said idiot buys a wide range of wood working power and hand tools, plus an 880 and a 441, a 60" CS mill and all the accessories. Tools remain unused while space is being found for workshop. Meanwhile said idiot uses the 441 to cut a few loads of firewood for himself before his supervisor finds out what has happened and demands everything be returned immediately. Other tools are returned except CS gear because of course CS store won't accept used goods. When supervisor finds out, said idiot is fired. CS gear sits in storage while supervisors try to work out what to do. 6 months later CS gear is sold for less than half price.

Last edited:
Anything with a 24" bar or larger in the presence of the uninitiated. Cries of "Wow, look at that" can be heard.

Not as bad as going to a public gun range and uncrating an Armalite M14-A4(T) with all the fixin's. It never fails... "Can I try that?" :censored:

Back