If you can't cut it, burn it! (Or, how a WildThing gets through wood.)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueRidgeMark

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, our ice storm this week convinced a long dead tree to fall - partly. It got hung up in an oak, which was nice. Otherwise, it would have taken out my power, phone, and cable.

Since it was on my neighbor's property, I went over to tell him about it, and ask permission to cut it down. Being the hardworking, jump in and get it done kind of guy he is, he immediately grabbed his WildThing while I rustled up my 039.

Which refused to run. :cry:

Anyway, watching him attack that thing was, uh, exciting. I stayed waaay back. Lots of enthusiam, ya see. Lot's of smoke coming off the bar. He kept complaining that his "blade" was dull.

Once down, I fired up my Echo and we bucked it. Lots more smoke off his bar. Lots! I got a look at it. I'd never before seen a bar that has turned blue from heat, right around the front sprocket!
eek.gif

Anyway, he did manage to burn his way through a few times. Here's what the result looked like.

attachment.php

Didjya ever see the like? :dizzy:

Man that musta have been a dull chain I have never seen anything that bad before. Man a file would go a long way. What is the matter with you 039 or what is it doing besides not starting?

DanManofStihl said:
Man that musta have been a dull chain I have never seen anything that bad before.

I wish I could have gotten a picture of the bar - nice heat treated blue around the sprocket! :dizzy:

As for the 039, it ran fine the last I used it - a month ago. I used it for about a half hour - no problems. That was my first outing with it.

Fresh gas today, and it was hard to start. (I finally cheated - used ether.) Seemed to run fine for a minute (letting it warm up), then died. After that, I could get it to fire, but it would bog & die after a few seconds. :confused:

The only thing I've done in between was to take off the 28" bar it came with and put on a new 20" with new chain.

Somebody help the newb! BTW, I got this off eBay, and have not looked at the plug yet. Been too busy to use the saw.

Start out by checking the plug if it is wet then you are getting fuel but it might be to much if your not getting fuel then it is a carb problem most likey.

That is really bad. You should seriously consider giving the guy a clue on how to properly file his chain. Even if you think your filing is bad, it can't be as bad as his. How many hours did it take to grind his way through the tree? Cutting with a chain that dull, it couldn't have been fast cutting.

Ever see them guys cutting with a dull saw....screaming wide open.....pushing it back and forth like a hand saw....hoping it'll cut faster?????

16gauge said:
What about bar oil?:dizzy:
I didn't see any sign of it. I have to wonder if he knows about it. I don't know how else you could get the tip sprocket to heat up so badly it turns the bar blue!

Chainsaw Master said:
Ever see them guys cutting with a dull saw....screaming wide open.....pushing it back and forth like a hand saw....hoping it'll cut faster?????

Yeah, yesterday! :D

I think the only reason he was able to get through the base is that it was half rotted. The burned pic above was one of only two bucking cuts he made. The log was solid at that point. He gave up on bucking after that. I was outcutting him about 10 to one with my little 3450. :D

Can't fault him for work ethic, though. He set down his saw and immediately started stacking wood. Good neighbor. I've got to find a way to tactfully tell him about things like bar oil and sharp, uh, blades.

That is ugly! Good thing he wasn't using a real saw...isn't Poulan the French word for useless? Seriously...if hes a good guy,and you say he is,help him through his clueless stage before he hurts himself. If he won't take good advice or guidance...ask to borrow his saw and then don't return it.When he asks where it is tell him Poulans are designed to self destruct after a couple of years and the damn thing just vaporized:laugh: :laugh:

I don't care if you have the best saw in the world, a dull chain will not cut. I have two poulans they are not the best saws in the world but they will cut wood if they have a sharp chain.
Rob

rjh245 said:
I don't care if you have the best saw in the world, a dull chain will not cut. I have two poulans they are not the best saws in the world but they will cut wood if they have a sharp chain.
Rob
Rob, I don't mean anything personal about your choice of saws. I mean, theres probably a good reason why you run two Poodles or try to keep two Poodles running. :D Wait a minute, did I say "Poodles"?....I"m sorry, I meant puddles...no no no,dammit...its Poulan. Thats better.:laugh:

I know the poulans are junk. I was in Mississippi helping family clean up after Katrina. The saws were givin to me for free. I don't think that you would turn down any free saw. But maybe you would.
Rob

Free is free can't turn down that. You need to get a few stihls though then you would never go back to the other stuff.

rjh245 said:
I know the poulans are junk. I was in Mississippi helping family clean up after Katrina. The saws were givin to me for free. I don't think that you would turn down any free saw. But maybe you would.
Rob
You dont have to make excuses for the saws you run. Even that Husky 141 is a poulan. As long as they start who cares. Homeowners just want them to cut when needed,not pay a small fortune to brag about what they saw with, besides I got better things to use my money on old cars and more land. Hope you get all your clean up done. The ice storm got us Jan 2005.
P.S. Somebody give that poor wildthing homeowner a Sharp chain and bar oil for Christmas.

Last edited:
Everybody says "dull chain", but did you get a look at the tip sprocket? You did say "sprocket", so I assume it was not a hard nose bar.

I used up the tip sprocket on a Stihl 009 to the point it "Blued" the end of the bar as pretty as a gun barrell.

I cut some oak that the township cut back from the road. The ends that they cut all had severe burn marks. I guess when it isn't your equipment, abuse it all the way. I am glad that the wood is in my stove right now! I can look at the ends and know what not to do with my equipment! None of my cuts left the burn marks, guess my chains are sharp!

Latest posts

Back