If You Were A Skidder, Which One Would You Be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bullbuck

bullbuck

ArboristSite Guru
I guess since I am a part time horse shoer, and considering the cost of diesel, I would have to say that this would be me:
SCM_ZD47C81.jpg

Now don't anybody get to thinking that I am a big guy because these are big draft horses. I guess to make that comparison, and to acknowledge my hard-headedness, and maybe what my wife thinks of me sometimes; this would be me:laugh:
Dangers%20of%20overloading%20your%20horse%20!_WEB.jpg

man that ponderosa doesnt look to have any taper at all,nice pic

mryb

Resident Creep
I would be a loud obnoxious little guy, That would be a mountian logger model H skidder with a non turbo straight piped 353 detroit diesel and a 4 speed manual out of a dodge pickup and a cable winch, gear matic 19

I used to drive a cement mixer with a 6V53 Detroit. A 5 x 4 tranny & whatever rears, it would only do 48 MPH. 2 mufflers & 1 resonator. It still sounded like it had a straight pipe on.
Anyways, my skidder would be a Ford 8N with weights on the front & skidder chains on the rear tires...Rick

Last edited:
sawbones

sawbones

Addicted to ArboristSite
So if you were to be a skidder... which one would you be? :popcorn:

I would be any of the the Cat 530 or 540 series Skidders... :clap::clap:

Cable or grapple?

ary

had to remember the original question to answer this post..

started out on a mountain logger H back in 73. you could here the screamin jimmy from about 2 miles away.

got on a timberjack 404 in 74 then on to a Franklin grapple skidder swinging and cold decking from small tower sides that didnt warrant a shovel.

them grapples would leave a good kink in your neck from driving backwards half the time. ( narrow roads, no turnaround).

The big treat was when getting to run the BIGGIE franklins. about a 40 ton rig with a swinging grapple that you could load a hiway truck with if you wanted to.

next job was the mountainlogger ML 200 grapple and cable skidder. V6 detroit and 4 sp allison. woo hoo. that was fun.

spent time on the JD 440's and also the Garrett 15..

both lightweight and agile but the garrett was by far my favorite..

I refer to the garrett as, "THE ANT" because it felt like it was able to pull more than twice its own weight and would traverse almost any terrain.

I remember crawling over rotten logs 3 or 4 foot high and wondering why I didnt get high centered.

so,, I would be the garrett tree farmer. model 10 or 15.

1960 garrett tree farmer
12-5mac008.jpg

floyd

floyd

ArboristSite Operative
That is some big pine. Notice how he's taking 'em sideways to get that stick out of it's bed.

If you worked a good team of mules I doubt you would want to drive the heavy horses. I think the guy was being nice to his team. They could prolly pull the other piece of that oak as well. Might make 'em squat a little but I bet they could put it in the deck.

My favorite skidder was my fjords. Sadly, they are being fed by someone else as I could no longer care for them.

We had a damn good run...me & my hooligans

Last edited:
371groundie

371groundie

ArboristSite Guru
moose have cloven hooves like deer cows and pigs, so i dont think you can shoe them.

i would be a deere 540B. big enough to get the job done, nimble enough to be gentle, kinda skinny, definately not built for steep ground.

then again i might be one of these. who can name it?
redskidder1.jpg

and here is the answer to the guy torn between cat and tigercat:
skidder_pull_off.jpg

cuznguido

cuznguido

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
moose have cloven hooves like deer cows and pigs, so i dont think you can shoe them.

i would be a deere 540B. big enough to get the job done, nimble enough to be gentle, kinda skinny, definately not built for steep ground.

then again i might be one of these. who can name it?
redskidder1.jpg

and here is the answer to the guy torn between cat and tigercat:
skidder_pull_off.jpg

That old red skidder is the wrong color. Should be Franklin yellow.

Latest posts