Impressed - Stihl 041 FarmBoss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still hunt with an old Montgomery Wards(winchester model 1894) lever action. Dudes flaps and flap about my old outdated rifle, but I've NEVER missed a deer. I swear by the old 30-30's. Most of the time your hunting in brush with less than 100yds of clear sight, so what's the purpose of having something with a scope or that can shoot 1/2mile??? I do have a 30-06 I use when I go field hunting for the 300+ yard stuff, but day to day, 30 of 31 days I'm hunting with the 30-30 for sure. Those old lever actions were the best.

:cheers: eh?

My favorite is a 45-70 Marlin take down lever gun with a 16-1/4" barrel. Ghost ring rear peep sight and a big orange bead front, 405 grain heavily jacketed flat point behind 52grs of H322. I've bagged more bear and moose cleanly out as far as 300 yards than you would probably believe. However, the vast majority have been within 50 yards. I've never felt under gunned, had the need for a scope or lost an animal. It's all about shot placement, knowing your gun and it's trajectory.
I too have scoped rifles but never have the need to use them except on smaller varmints, plains game or when there is the possibility the game may present it's self beyond 300 yards with no stalking options.

I've never understood why some of the flattest ground in the U.S. is shotgun only.

Thats why there is nothing to stop it, it can travel along ways before it will hit something. And hopefully not me a 1/2 mile away. I think too much population and not enough brush.

Thats why there is nothing to stop it, it can travel along ways before it will hit something. And hopefully not me a 1/2 mile away. I think too much population and not enough brush.

In my opinion, and strictly an opinion, I would rather be able to have a clear view behind where I was shooting for safety concerns rather than rely on brush to stop, or more likely to deflect a round in an errant path to possible harm.

In my opinion, and strictly an opinion, I would rather be able to have a clear view behind where I was shooting for safety concerns rather than rely on brush to stop, or more likely to deflect a round in an errant path to possible harm.

Yeah but can you see a mile if you don't hit your intended target, I'm just saying a stray is likely to stop in a heavier wooded area than clear flat land with population. From my rear door I can literally see more than a mile and they say a .22 round will travel that far. Believe me I wish they would loosen the law up, but they have to controll the idiots pegging each other with shotguns. In fact they just let .44 rifles legal to hunt with this year in Indiana, hell I was excited about that.:cheers:

Yeah but can you see a mile if you don't hit your intended target, I'm just saying a stray is likely to stop in a heavier wooded area than clear flat land with population. From my rear door I can literally see more than a mile and they say a .22 round will travel that far. Believe me I wish they would loosen the law up, but they have to controll the idiots pegging each other with shotguns. In fact they just let .44 rifles legal to hunt with this year in Indiana, hell I was excited about that.:cheers:

I'll certainly agree on the idiot factor. I've encountered a few over the years and they shouldn't even be allowed to throw rocks. Some could be poster children for gun control. No such thing as being overly cautious and to many just throw it in the wind. I once had a poacher send a round near my head on my own property that happened to be posted. I was none to thrilled but neither was he with the outcome. Its really quite amazing what a couple of short haired pointers can do when they sense their master is being threatened. Good thing I could call them off as quickly as I did.

I'll certainly agree on the idiot factor. I've encountered a few over the years and they shouldn't even be allowed to throw rocks. Some could be poster children for gun control. No such thing as being overly cautious and to many just throw it in the wind. I once had a poacher send a round near my head on my own property that happened to be posted. I was none to thrilled but neither was he with the outcome. Its really quite amazing what a couple of short haired pointers can do when they sense their master is being threatened. Good thing I could call them off as quickly as I did.

HaHa, The rock thing. Not so funny taking unfriendly fire or friendly for that matter.I tell ya where I'd love to do some Hi-Po open flat land shooting is out west, South Dakota, Wyoming etc... for priare dogs, I just think that would be a blast. Some day I'm going to do that.

HaHa, The rock thing. Not so funny taking unfriendly fire or friendly for that matter.I tell ya where I'd love to do some Hi-Po open flat land shooting is out west, South Dakota, Wyoming etc... for priare dogs, I just think that would be a blast. Some day I'm going to do that.

Same here. I have all the neccessary equipment to outfit several people on a prarie dog hunt but have never done so. I think it would be a blast!:clap:

I didn't realize you guys shot at deer while laying flat on the ground! That's about the only way the scenario you describe could become a reality.
Truth is several studies have been done on this and there was NO statistical difference in the accidental injury rates of the Shotgun vs. Rifle states. The "idiot factor" was the main cause of the accidents in both where people were shooting their hunting partner getting in and out of trucks and deerstands, or crossing fences with loaded guns.
Mike

I didn't realize you guys shot at deer while laying flat on the ground! That's about the only way the scenario you describe could become a reality.
Truth is several studies have been done on this and there was NO statistical difference in the accidental injury rates of the Shotgun vs. Rifle states. The "idiot factor" was the main cause of the accidents in both where people were shooting their hunting partner getting in and out of trucks and deerstands, or crossing fences with loaded guns.
Mike

Whens the last time you shot a ground hog out of a deer stand? I ground hunt more than I sit in a stand. How could the studies be accurate, we would have to allow high powers to hunt first to see if there was a difference in injury and or deaths vs. shotguns. There is nothing to compare too.We have only been allowed shotgunt to deer hunt with, never any hi-po so I can't see the stats being accurate at all. The states that do allow rifles, what is the terrian like, population per sq. mile. The terrain in Tenn. is sure a lot difference than northeren Indiana. Now I think Michigan will let you hunt in the northern part with rifle, but the lower half with shotgun because of population/ terrian. I have heard because of the new sabot technology that some shotguns have capabilities as some rifles, which is becoming a concern.
Either way the Idiot/accident factor is always the biggest part. But I don't know that I would feel good about going out on opoening day knowing that everyone and there brother were using 270's to hunt with, not when there is 10+ hunters in a sq. mile

They are big and heavy and loud and not as safe as todays saws and some will say that these are bad things. I say that there will be 041s and 031s running when Jesus comes back.
. . . . when I have lost everything else in my world you will be able to see me walking down the road with it in one hand and my old bolt action 30-30in the other!
Mike

One of the best responses I've ever read on this forum. Quite a good literary style, my friend! My list of last things I will have is very similar: a Stihl saw, my Marlin .30/30, and my old Toyota truck. --VT

On the 30/30 FTX

Is it available in your area yet?

I stopped at the two closest Hornady dealers and they claim it is not available as yet and are looking at the fall for delivery.

Is it available in your area yet?

I stopped at the two closest Hornady dealers and they claim it is not available as yet and are looking at the fall for delivery.

The FTX looks like it might be a new product, I can't find it in my Hornady manual it's the 7th edition, which I thought was the newest??? I have seen what is called LEVERevolution Ammunition, which I have seen first hand in a lot of different sporting goods and gun shops now. I know it's in the Cabela's Shooting Reloading catalog.

Ahh, I just read the description in the Cabela's mag and they do call the bullet itself the FTX, (Flex Tip) Yeah it should be avaliable where you live, I found out about it a year or two ago, I think the .357 and .44mag is somewhat of a new ammo for them but diffenatly not the 30-30. you can get that in 30-30, .308, .35 rem, .444 Marlin, .45-70 Gov't, .450 Marlin. Good luck Frank

The FTX looks like it might be a new product, I can't find it in my Hornady manual it's the 7th edition, which I thought was the newest??? I have seen what is called LEVERevolution Ammunition, which I have seen first hand in a lot of different sporting goods and gun shops now. I know it's in the Cabela's Shooting Reloading catalog.

Ahh, I just read the description in the Cabela's mag and they do call the bullet itself the FTX, (Flex Tip) Yeah it should be avaliable where you live, I found out about it a year or two ago, I think the .357 and .44mag is somewhat of a new ammo for them but diffenatly not the 30-30. you can get that in 30-30, .308, .35 rem, .444 Marlin, .45-70 Gov't, .450 Marlin. Good luck Frank

Looks like for now I am going to have to hand load still.

Their brass prices are STEEP too

anybody that ain't killed a Deer without a 30/30 ..

don't know how to .. Hunt

:monkey: wha? :monkey: Anybody that ain't?, without a 30/30? So if I follow, you didn't kill the deer and you didn't use a 30/30 so you don't know how to hunt! ummm Ok! but there might be more than hunting problems evident here?

Last edited:
:monkey: wha? :monkey: Anybody that ain't?, without a 30/30? So if I follow, you didn't kill the deer and you didn't use a 30/30 so you don't know how to hunt! ummm Ok! but there might be more than hunting problems evident here?

HaHa, vert witty Zodiac! I ain't not following that.:cheers:

Gitcher .. Goat ..?? ZodiacKiller, Eh ..??

Bwaaahahaha ...:greenchainsaw:

Did I read 788 Rem

:) One of my favorites the 788, also to stay on topic I had a 041 super actually sold my 044 because I like the 041 more!(041 oozed character) Now back to the 788 I have three a 6mm,.308 and a 30/30, the 30/30 is the best cast bullet cartridge I have come across in the accuracy dept. Plus in the 788 you can squeeze over 2400fps with a Nosler 150 gr partion making it a great close to mid range deer rifle imo much better than the .243 or 6mm.
About the Hornady loads I have only seen them in factory ammo not component form (just the Bullet).But the only deer I have shot with factory ammo in my life was taken with a 30/30 and 170gr factory load in my 94 win at about 70yds and it never moved just drooped.
But the 788 loaded with a 110 or 125 gr bullet makes a great coyote rifle just wish I had the time this year to go yote hunting.
But it is not as good as a 6mm or 25/06 but it makes it more challenging.:)
P.S I did sell my 041, but have visitation rights to it, now if I get another Stihl it will be a 041 super or 076 I just like that older stuff.
Dam I have to edit one thing being Canadian the .303 is still better than a 30/30

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back