Indestructable Fiskars Axes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheese

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have seen in several of the axe threads here that people really are liking the Fiskars splitting axe. Others have mentioned they like the chopping axe to carry and drive wedges.

I used to like my chopping axe to come with me in the woods. It was cheap, light and easy to chop, limb and wedge. It was also suppposed to be super tough.

Well, I broke mine last weekend. Driving wedges, had a solid hit on the wedge, the seam on the back of the head split down the handle and broke about 1/3 of the way to the end.

Anyone warranty one of these? I paid cash at Home Depot, didn't keep the receipt on a $30 axe and would really like to have another one.

Thanks.

I bought my son one of those axes for Christmas. They are very hard, too hard IMO. He over swung with it and hit frozen ground and chipped a piece the size of a nickle out of the edge. If you can stay in the wood they should hold the edge a long time but not a very good general purpose axed IMO and I would not use one to strike anything like a wedge unless I had some thick safety glasses on.

As far as I know the fiskars comes in a 4 lb or 6 lb style. I have the 4 lb which is a lot like a regular axe with splitting wings on it that are maybe 2 inches wide. It works great for myself or my 12 year old son on smaller or frozen wood for a quick split, my son also chops down trees with it, he said he likes it better than a regular axe. My brother has the 6 lb which is more like a regular splitting mall with the wings maybe 3 inches wide. This works better for the bigger or greener wood and allows the mall to go through further pushing the wood apart faster. Either way you can't go wrong. I would lean toward the 6 lb if splitting a lot of big stuff. The only complaint from the guys who have tried mine is the short handle. It wouldn't be very hard to put it into your foot.

Just so we are clear, I was driving wedges with the back of the axe to fall a tree, pretty standard fair.

The face takes an edge decently, but I have serious chopping tools for that.

Here is the old one...
1178063032_dsc01620.jpg

1178063105_dsc01623.jpg

1178063363_dsc01626.jpg

Anyone warranty one of these? I paid cash at Home Depot, didn't keep the receipt on a $30 axe and would really like to have another one.
Thanks.

They have a lifetime warr/guar. from Fiskars, don't they? Take it back to Home Depot. Say, "I don't have your receipt. Gift card is fine."

Man you must have been driving the wedge in hard. I have split a little over 10 cords with mine and I drive the falling wedges [nylon] with it too. I have not driven my tempered steel wedges with it since I usually just cut with the saw now instead of those things.

I must say that there is no way I will go back to a traditional mall now that I have had the Fiskars SuperSplitter in hand.

On Fiskars page they only show the 4lb? Is there a 6lb?

I seen the axe at the local Menards and it looks pretty nice. Leaning towards getting one.

I picked up a monster maul for a buck at an auction but the edge needs some serious TLC...its flat!

Have any of you purchased the sharpner Fiskars sell? If so, how well does it work? Would it work for other axes also?

Otherwise what is the proper way to sharpen an axe?

Fiskar's lawn and garden ended up being just over the hill from where I grew up.

Sears did not have one in stock to replace it and cash didn't matter to me. Thankfully, one call to Fiskars got a new one out here.

This is a chopping axe, not one of the splitters.

I seen the axe at the local Menards and it looks pretty nice. Leaning towards getting one.

Yes, the is a 6 lb which is more like a splitting maul the 4 lb is just like an axe with splitting wings. I'd opt for the 6 lb if your splitting the big stuff. 4 lb for small stuff.

I have been kicking around the 2.9 pounder Fiskars for a couple of weeks now. My current back up "rafting axe" is my 8 lb splitting mall. Yuck. Carrying that thing on the ridges stinks! I may just get another wood 3 lb. rafting axe for knot bumping and wedge knock'n.

I have the Super Slpitter, but it is more than 4 pounds. It is 2300 grams which is 5 pounds. This thing splits better than any maul I have ever used and doubles as an axe in the woods. I cut all of my wood in the mountains and haul it down so space is an issue and this is perfect, even on large woods like 30" plus rounds.

Otherwise what is the proper way to sharpen an axe?

I too picked up the Fiskars chopping axe base on serching old threads here. I'll throw in m2c while the thread is surfaced anyway.

1. This is the best $30 axe I have ever owned, it will be tough to beat in this price range.

2. "beat dead horse" the helve is too short to use it as a felling axe. It is a good chopping axe.

3. I have been sharpening mine with the same Spyderco triangle sharp maker I use for my kitchen knives. In my experience the Fiskars chopping axe will take a good edge and hold it well. The old school way to grind and hone a good felling axe is the same process as for a plane iron, but you do both sides of the axe head and only one side of the plane iron.

4. No receipt should be required for replacement, it is lifetime warrantied. If you want your money back you probably would need a receipt.

5. Item fresh: This is a very well balanced and very inexpensive throwing axe. If you want to learn to throw an axe, I reckon this is a fine place to start. Might void the warranty, but for a lousy $30, you got a well balanced tool that is practically a throw away. If you do wreck this one, the next one for the next $30 will have exactly the same balance. At least all three of mine do.

S

Cheese,
Just get a Collins axe for driving wedges. A good hickory handle will last for a long time, and is pretty easily replaced.
A good falling axe will be hard for Fiskars to improve.

Andy

Wow!

I ended up going with the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe. 4 1/4 # Picked up the sharpener also.

The axe is amazing! Have never used a maul etc. so I can't do any comparison but I am very pleased with the axe.

Sharpener is nice also but you have to hold it with one hand while you roll the axe through the ceramic wheels. Lid flips open to expose the wheels for easy cleaning. I picked one up for the main purpose of trying to keep a nice edge on the axe after each use so I don't let it get to out of shape. Doesn't work if your axe has any dings out of it...Tried it with some other axes I had and it catches so I'm going to have to learn how to sharpen them the other way. :help:

16" block seems to be a nice level to split on. Can see where the tire would come in very handy.

What is the widest you guys are splitting? I've read 6" on one of the information links given.

On one piece of Walnut, the axe kept wanting to bounce back at me, I was confused until I found the hidden knots! Does this happen to any of you or is there another reason why this might occur?

I have a 1400 and a 2400, and believe they are the same as those you refer to as 4 and 6 lbs.

Mine has been used a lot, since the late 1990s, and they still are good as new. They are excellent for their intended use.

They are just two models from a large family of axes. The manual that comes with them (at least here) states that the only one in the entire family that you should hit anything with the rear of the head with, is the 2400.

Last edited:
I ended up going with the Fiskars Super Splitting Axe. 4 1/4 # Picked up the sharpener also.

The axe is amazing! Have never used a maul etc. so I can't do any comparison but I am very pleased with the axe. ...

The axe in the pic is the bigger Fiskers, what I called the 6lb, wish I could post some pics sometime. Mine is smaller than that. That one should split anything you can lift!:clap:

The one in the pic is the one called 2400 here - the head weights 2.4 kg, and the rest of the 6 lbs is probably the handle (it is light).....:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Back