Indiana gtg

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is...It is a Mall model 6...HOLY CRAP IS IT BIG...That is my 460 w/ the 25" bar for comparison...

attachment.php

I got busy this afternoon

Drug up some trees that were leaning/blowdowns. and cut a few topless snags.
Some nice straight sassafras, some hickory and some maple.If you get here early enough to beat Mike to the firewood logs you can cut all you want.. About 20 inches is fine. LOL
Ian I will have to go out and grub up some root for the tea.You want the tea hot or iced?
I managed to cut one of my last two cat chokers today. Had it draped over the blade and bumped a stump a little bit to hard I reckon. Cut plumb through the 1/2 inch cable. I ordered two more chokers from Baileys. I upped the diameter to 9/16 and did not get the cable with an eye on one end.
I spied another big beech that the top had blown out of.. But it was down in a holler and it was slightly out of grasp for the 5100. I will have to fall it with the 7900 and probably pull it out in 10 foot lengths.Hopefully it is not hollow all the way down.

Last time it was cold out and the hot was nice. This time I think iced would be better. Never had it iced before though. You'll have to do a test batch and let me know how it is.

Ian

Last time it was cold out and the hot was nice. This time I think iced would be better. Never had it iced before though. You'll have to do a test batch and let me know how it is.

Ian

Heck I was raised on the stuff. I like it hot or cold.. I will try to remember to go back to where two of the leaners were. They were still alive. I can grub me out a pretty good chunk of root.. Before owning a dozer I used to try to pull out saplings with the tractor.,. This is much easier. LOL

Some nice straight sassafras, some hickory and some maple.If you get here early enough to beat Mike to the firewood logs you can cut all you want.. About 20 inches is fine. LOL.

Ya hear that Ian.... better bring the mingo. :laugh:

I spied another big beech that the top had blown out of.. But it was down in a holler and it was slightly out of grasp for the 5100. I will have to fall it with the 7900 and probably pull it out in 10 foot lengths.Hopefully it is not hollow all the way down.

If ya need/want a hand with that thing just give me a holler.

Ya hear that Ian.... better bring the mingo. :laugh:

Yes please do bring that Mingo.. I was hoping to try it out at the last GTG..

If ya need/want a hand with that thing just give me a holler.

I will take the "Big saw and 36 inch bar" LOL.. It is topless I might be able to actually wedge it to fall uphill.. Then pull it on over the top, But if I can not drag it.. I will be forced to buck it to 10-12 footers on the hillside..I will look it over before making a wedge cut.(Honestly I will probably make a bore cut into it above my hinge to see if it is hollow.)

18" works pretty good for me.... hows that thing working out??

Kinda like to see it in action myself.

I like it, but I'm a gadget kind of guy. Works well on straight trunks at least 6" in diameter, not so well on small or crooked stuff.

Ian

If anyone is interested, my neighbor/friend wants to trade a new 880 with 2 tanks of gas through it (no lie) for a new 5100 and 7900. If any of you guys were at wkpoors GTG in January it was there. I think Super3 ran it a few times. It will probably be at this GTG also, if Scott is able to go. He's like us chainsaw oriented:cheers: If you guys want any pics I can get some.

BTW, 30" bar with .404 is on it.

wow that would be a great swap

But I have no need for an 880. But a feller could sure make a buck on the deal huh?

But I have no need for an 880. But a feller could sure make a buck on the deal huh?

Yeah I guess, it's a helluva savings if you want a 880. He just would rather have something he could use. It was an Insurance saw, his old mans barn burned down last year and they lost a big ole Mac. so the insurance co. told them to get something to replace it. So he went as big as he could and now realizes after running my 7900 that would rather have something like that. SOunds like Super is up to the task:cheers:

Btw Super, I lost signal, and didn't hang up on ya!!!

Any of you guys bringing a 372? I am bringing my 441 with me; its only got 6 tanks through it right now, but I'll try to get through 10-12 before the GTG. Huskystihl's video has my interest peaked at running the two side by side. Maybe do some cookie times...

Mine's coming too but it's also ported.

Will be interesting to see how our's compare Brad.... (in a non competitive, just for curiosity's sake kind of atmosphere :) ) I've got a 9 pin rim and bar too that you can try if you want.

Ian

Last edited:
(in a non competitive, just for curiosity's sake kind of atmosphere :) )

Ian

That's actually the most fun. Bill and I had a blast last time at Eric's running my 260 and his 346 back and forth. He kicked my butt and that's when I went and put the big carb on it:) That will be an interesting race for sure. Do you run square chain or should I just bring the round ground stuff?

Back