info on richfield utah

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1953greg

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
im considering working in richfield utah for 4 months this summer. does anyone have any first hand info on the area like climate, special events, do's n donts?

i have found hard data but i want opinions also

i figured this was the biggest audience i could get info from.

thanks in advance

richfield huh, what are you gona do there? Richfield is a small little town, from what i remember agriculture and wildland fire mostly. maybe some mining. but it is close to some pretty country. zion national park, bryce canyon, canyon lands, arches national park, moab, goblin valey. definitly different country then your used to. but realy cool in a old west desert scene type of way. southern utah has all types of slot canyons, great mt biking, hiking, camping, rock crawling, dirt biking. just make sure you take plenty of water, check the weather for rain and take a compass.

snowdog

For what it's worth: I've been in the market for a new atv recently and have spent many minutes on the phone to various dealers wheeling and dealing. When it came down to it I drove 120 miles out of my way to go to Richfield to make the purchase. Lots of dealers closer but none of them seemed to want to treat me right. Way nice people there. My dad used to have to go there and fill in for a guy when he went on vacation and seemed to like it a lot. If you like smaller communities I think I'd give it a go. It's clean and well maintained I liked the feeling there. Plus 4 months is not that long. Having said that I don't know what there is to do there as far as community events go, but there is good old time bowling alley hooked on to the atv store, you get to write your own score and have to guess how many pins you knocked down if your eyes aren't very good.

My uncle lives in the southeastern part of the state in a little town called Hurricane, UT. It's right outside St. George. I did a week long trip there last year and loved it.

Just as Snowdog suggested, it would be very near Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon, Canyon Lands, Arches National Park, Moab (my favorite), Goblin Valley & Lake Powell. And a days trip to the Grand Canyon. I haven't seen all of the states yet, but Utah ranks right up there when it comes to scenery.

One caution though. From what my uncle has said, unless you are Mormon, you may find it a little difficult to socialize in Utah. I realize that's a generalized statement, but the way he explained it was that you are considered an outsider. The Mormon people are very polite to him and friendly. But those in his community don't invite him over to dinner as they say. Oh and as a general rule, most don't drink. But with you being there for only a few months, it probably won't be a big deal.

The climate can be tough. On the lower elevations it can go above 100, it is the desert there you know. But you can easily hit a higher elevation in a matter of an hour or two and it will be much cooler.

As was suggested earlier, if you are into motorcycles (off road or street), you would be in a great place. Utah offers a lot of things to see.

One caution though. From what my uncle has said, unless you are Mormon, you may find it a little difficult to socialize in Utah. I realize that's a generalized statement, but the way he explained it was that you are considered an outsider. The Mormon people are very polite to him and friendly. But those in his community don't invite him over to dinner as they say. Oh and as a general rule, most don't drink. But with you being there for only a few months, it probably won't be a big deal.

SO very true. I spent @18 years in Utah. The mountains are beautiful:jawdrop: There is alot to do in utah, check out ksl.com it is the local paper for Salt lake city. Some places that where not mentioned, Lake powell, henry moutains (large Buffalo heard), I spent 5 days tripping around those mountains living out of the back of my pickup.

It is a nice place to visit, I think you should do it, would be a good experience for you:cheers:

Well, that is where my family hails from so maybe I can be of assistance.

Yes, I'm one of those Mormons... but honestly I don't think you'll have any trouble no matter what your religious affiliations. New people are moving in all the time.

As far as the weather, It is hot and dry in the summer and colder than your ex-girlfriend in the winter. When we buried my grandfather a few years back in the Richfield cemetery it was -28 below zero. There is a reason they called the county Sevier. The original settlers barely survived the land it was so inhospitable.

Fish Lake will be your closest National Park and it used to be a pretty good fishery. We always went for the Lake Trout but it is slowly becoming more of a Rainbow Trout lake. Mostly trolling.

It is probably one of the top destinations for off road vehicles... 4-wheelers, motorcycles, etc...

If you run into any Jensens' or Nebekers' those are my family and you might be wise to take a wide berth:)

Good Luck, and enjoy!

thanks guys, im getting pumped up just reading

i make soil maps for usda. they pay for travel, room n board so its a working vacation, whatever that means. we usually work 5 tens so the weekends r free.

i dont think religon wil b an issue. sincere to my baptist convictions but i frequent many flavors, just not mormon. dont know of any around. there is one thing they all have in common, there are good folks and not so good ones in them all.

Nice...

My Great Grandfather owned the spread just down the stream from Fish Lake. His sister ran the Fish Lake Lodge.

My Grandfather worked for the USDA and ran most of the extension offices through that region an eventually moved to Nephi, UT. He was buried with the rest of his family in Richfield.

My Father just retired as a District Director for the USDA with the state of Wyoming a couple years ago.

I'm a chiropractor...

You'll like the area. Mormons don't normally bite too much:)

i almost forgot, watch out for rattle snakes, flash floods in the canyons(check the weather reports), oh and don't check out another man's wives.

I lived in Utah for many years and I loved it. I miss the outdoors and I'm trying to find a way to move back.

The Richfield area is in the middle of the state, so you can get to a lot of great stuff in a short time. There are National Parks and Monuments fairly close to the Richfield area. You'll find great camping, hunting, fishing and outdoors all throughout the state. No wait...to many people are moving to Utah. Stay away. You'll hate it there. Go to Colorado instead.

I lived in Utah for many years and I loved it. I miss the outdoors and I'm trying to find a way to move back.

The Richfield area is in the middle of the state, so you can get to a lot of great stuff in a short time. There are National Parks and Monuments fairly close to the Richfield area. You'll find great camping, hunting, fishing and outdoors all throughout the state. No wait...to many people are moving to Utah. Stay away. You'll hate it there. Go to Colorado instead.

Funny you should say that. My daughter is moving with her family from Utah to west Texas this month. Rep coming for your nice avatar.

Southern Utah is one of the great places on earth. The arches, canyons and rock monoliths are like nowhere else. Hot days lead to gorgeous sunsets reflected off red rock formations leading to cool nights with deep dark skies filled with stars.

Spring (May/June) and Fall (mid to late September) are the best times for southern Utah. Any other time it's too cold, too hot or too muddy.

I might end up moving back if things go correctly. I do miss the mountain views out my living room window:clap: Most of all I miss the snowmobiling. Nothing like riding in 3 feet of powder, till you stick the sled:censored:

You will have a fun time exploring 1953greg:cheers: I would highly suggest a cheap hand held GPS unit! Atleast that way you can find civilitation again:laugh:

Doug

Utah WOW

I have been fortunate in my life to have traveled to every state in the union, and many foreign countries. This goes back a ways so some information may be dated, but I believe that Utah has the most varied land in America, with the exception of course of a coastline. In 1977 I was 26 and both parents had died shortly before. It was the second summer I had traveled by motorcycle around the country, and I spent a total of 3 weeks in Teasdale Utah. There is some beautiful country there, but as others have said BE CAREFUL. It is very easy to get lost, especially if you come from Iowa where there is a road every mile. I went to see this huge stone arch one morning, thought that I would get there in about an hour, and get back in the same amount of time. Needless to say the arch was a hell of a lot further than I though, and there were several deep slot canyons between. I jumped across a couple and had to rope down and climb up a couple of others. I left a 6am and got back at 6pm. I stayed with an old lady who had combed the area many years before and had loads of Anasazi and other Indian pottery and other items. I spent part of the time there with a girlfriend and we had to tell everyone that we were married, cause she had let another couple stay there and was shunned for a year because the Mormons found out that that couple wasn't't married. All people were polite and friendly, and the scenery was spectacular. Have fun. JR

Latest posts

Back