Inside the MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a MS362 here for mods and though I'd share my findings. This thing is one strange bird. There's very little familiar about it at all. Everything's new. It couldn't be further from a 361. I've not worked on a 441, so no comparison there.

Squish was .027" with the gasket, and .012" without it. Compression was only 130. The saw is not broke in yet, but I'm still suprised at that low of compression. The piston has two 1.2mm rings, with both end pins very close to the center of the skirt.

I'll just kind of take you through the disassembly here.

706404652_NnWjC-M.jpg

706404753_dPC6b-M.jpg

706404870_bhLRT-M.jpg

706400267_vNxSU-M.jpg

706400351_PtuGH-M.jpg

706400469_bjNur-M.jpg

706400573_Xd6BZ-M.jpg

706400712_M4Cwz-M.jpg

More to come.

I forgot to measure port timing before pulling the jug. So the following is with .012" squish and no gasket.

Exhaust 103°
Intake 73°
Transfers 131°

That's it for now.

Last edited:
Them guts on that saw look totally weird compared to the other saws:dizzy:. . . I'm looking forward to your mod and writeup on this animal. :rock:

Them guts on that saw look totally weird compared to the other saws:dizzy:. . . I'm looking forward to your mod and writeup on this animal. :rock:

Strato saws are weird for sure. I wonder how similiar this is to the 441? I found the transfers coming from the base of the cylinder rather interesting. All four transfers have their own individual channels. And check out that transfer port timing! Tons of blowdown on this thing.

Strato saws are weird for sure. I wonder how similiar this is to the 441? I found the transfers coming from the base of the cylinder rather interesting. All four transfers have their own individual channels. And check out that transfer port timing! Tons of blowdown on this thing.

I can see that being a big advantage to modding it. . . It seems that's what most guys always want a little more of on a built saw.

:jawdrop:Thats one very different looking jigger,can i assume thats a twin throttle type set up, to increase response across the rev range?

Brad- great pictures as always. Yes, this one looks like the little brother to the 441. The port arrangement is the same. I believe those upper cut-outs on the sides of the piston help with transfer timing, although I have not been inside a 441 enough yet to have mapped it out.

Latest posts

Back