Inside the MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So when you start a port job is there a precedure you normally do... Measurements, timing numbers... What is the process you have when you start a woods port? What makes this one that much differnt? I do understand it is a different design than what you have done but is the idea the same?
I take the measurements I posted earlier. I then study the P&C and decide where I want to go with it. I'm also noticing skirt width limitations and ring pin locations and how they affect what I can/cannot do.

Thats the way my 441 looked after running hp ultra. All carboned to beat heck. I switched to a synthetic without all the additives and it cleared right up, lost the shelf life of the fuel but it never sits more than a week anyways.
I found out this was orange bottle Stihl. The saw has only seen about 3 tanks of fuel.

Brad, regarding low compression numbers........is it possible that the decompression valve is leaky? I had that same trouble on my 361 and bought the stihl plug for it and the compression came way up.
I really think it was my compression guage.

Would not touch it with a 10 ft. pole.

I had to tell the guys on the crew to stop buying 441's- To much trouble to work on. - I see more of the same - Sam

Last edited:
How about a 1/4" or 1/8" burr?:clap:

How's about 1/2"!- Ha- Seriously, good luck, and I will be very curious to see what transpires. At the end of the day all of us ding dongs who run saws for a living are going to have to adjust. As I've seen you write before, stock saws suck, so we're going to have to figure these things out. - Sam

How's about 1/2"!- Ha- Seriously, good luck, and I will be very curious to see what transpires. At the end of the day all of us ding dongs who run saws for a living are going to have to adjust. As I've seen you write before, stock saws suck, so we're going to have to figure these things out. - Sam

Its already been proven that these things can be ported with very good gains. Slinger did 441 that was very impressive.

Do you map the cylinder to make measurements on the ports and transfers? Will you post a copy of it and the measurements?

wow.

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 21 (20 members and 1 guests)
stihlboy, Philbert, xxl, forestryworks, LarryTheCableGuy, bubber, gonecountry, Wild Knight+, Grfi, BloodOnTheIce+, palogger, SpaayDawg, dmh, les-or-more, nassin2, Jacob J.+, cooper426

Its already been proven that these things can be ported with very good gains. Slinger did 441 that was very impressive.

Is there any archived info on that? Had a buddy who did a 441 that sounded good, but actual gains weren't that great (not sure exactly what he did). The cable throttle linkage was the big "no no" for me. Anybody know if the 362 runs the same setup? -Sam

Do you map the cylinder to make measurements on the ports and transfers? Will you post a copy of it and the measurements?
I do not use port maps.

LOL! I assumed this was yours!
No, this is not Andy's saw. The owner of the saw is aware of this thread and can respond as they so choose.

Is there any archived info on that? Had a buddy who did a 441 that sounded good, but actual gains weren't that great (not sure exactly what he did). The cable throttle linkage was the big "no no" for me. Anybody know if the 362 runs the same setup? -Sam
There are no cables on the 362.

Be sure and take lots of pics on this one Brad.... I think there may be some interest. :D

No pressure.

Very cool! The Husky 455 strato is very similar in set up to this. The ring end is right down the middle and allows for very little widening of the intake so I lowered it a little. Piston looks nearly identical. The transfers are different on mine, but open at the base like this one. Its good to see four transfers on the 362 instead of the two I have on mine (which is not a pro saw tho). I acutally raised the bottom of the transfers some where the webbing meets the base, but its a clamshell. I also raised and pointed the transfers up and back to get as much fresh charge in the chamber before the strato ports open. Widened the exhust and put a second port on the muff of course. Its a whole new animal since then. Its great to see the step by step with pics! Once again, Thanks Brad!

Brad,

Its hard to tell from the pics, but is the carb fully adjustable? It looks like there is a spot for the screws. Before I started work on my 455 I undid the linkage of the strato port to see what would happen when running WOT. The factory max rich setting on the H screw is 2.5 turns out and when the linkage was undone It would only get up to about 9K all the way to 1/2 a turn out. I started it at 2.5 and turned it in a little at a time checking it until I got to a 1/2 turn. It was still WAY rich then so I realized it needs the extra strato air in the combustion. The tranfers on the 455 are a lot longer though and there are only 2. It will be interesting to see what you come up with!

That saw and layout is weird....

Good luck on it Brad!! Wow,,where do you start??? I was amazed with the carbon buildup with only a few tanks..and I thought I ran my stuff rich...With a epa type saw,,that suprised me!!!

bah!
second butterfly be damned!!!

fab an adapter that fits on the carb box, fit a bigger carb (066?) to the adapter, and let both strato and regular intake pull air/fuel from the carb. port the snot out of the exhaust.
then set the squish tight and have a blast!:chainsaw:

why not?
:cheers:

Last edited:
Back