Inside the MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The non synthetic Stihl oils run really dirty, Echo's oil is a much better choice if you want to run a non syn, but I'd run a good full syn.

I'll second that on the Echo dino-based oil. We had two cases left over at the shop from a sales promotion. The company didn't want it so I ran it in the woods on a thinning job. It did very well and burned clean.

The saw is back together and running. It's holding 11,500 in the wood!:) I'm hoping to get wih Andy and Nik tomorrow night to run it against Andy's stock 362 and Niks ported 361. I think we've got a winner here:clap:

Some have thought this saw to be rev limited. This one is not. Interestingly enough, this saw does not turn as many RPMs at WOT as a conventionally ported saw, but it's really holding them in the wood where it counts. Leaned out to straight 2-stroking, it'll turn 14,400. 14,000 is likely the max you'd want to run it. I've got it set at 13,600 right now and it's quite rich.

Brad

Thanks for the thread, it's very interesting! :cheers:

For a think...
Is there a chance that the strato-charge gets more involved with the AF-charge more under a load then free-tuning? (as it seems to be on the fat side till it hits wood?) (this might explain why it looked to have been run fat at tare-down (as it needs to be under-load/working to fully use the extra charge?) ? )

That would indicate that the combustion chamber dynamites and programed ignition are counting on the saw being under a load.

It would be interesting what your work to this saw dose tuning for timed cuts?

I know this is not making much sense, but for a think, what if the ignition timing backed off at anything over 13.5K and give-er h311 at anything under 13.5K ? (counting on a load in the wood for your max-timing and sort of protect the engine out of the wood?) Timed cuts or an advancing timing light will tell you this.

This would give you your interesting free-tune results?

If my hunch is right, this is a candidate to be run at a slightly richer oil:fuel ratio, slightly richer air:fuel ratio, as it is getting some of it's combustion air from another source, and under a load, it really goes to town?

My thinking was kind of the opposite. The new additional transfer bring in fresh are from the top butterfly. This air is not mixed with fuel. How is that different from an air leak? Wouldn't that cause the saw to run lean?

My thinking was kind of the opposite. The new additional transfer bring in fresh are from the top butterfly. This air is not mixed with fuel. How is that different from an air leak? Wouldn't that cause the saw to run lean?

Well yes, but the carb needs to be extra rich to give the 12:1 or what ever it needs to be the best 'under-load' setting.

That extra charge might act (scavenge) differentially under a load then it dose free-turning?

Combine that with a wild ignition timing curve (chip) and your going to loose a little hair on the first one, I would, I envoy your challenge! :cheers:

It's my understanding that this puff of air is introduced just before the intake charge is pushed in, pushing out the exhaust while making a wall of air that keeps the @ 25% of raw hydro carbons from going out with the exhaust (epa hates that) so my thinking is maybe the extra fuel being kept in the cylinder is making it rich (like was stated above) until under load.

I'm understanding what you're saying now. However, the fresh air ports are below the transfers. That would put the fresh air after the charge, correct?

706403360_dUZTA-L.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if this technology is also somehow keeping max RPMs down at WOT, no load? A ported 361 will turn a lot more RPMs at WOT. This one likes 13,600-14,000, but holds great RPMs in the wood.

Yup!

What I was thinking!

Your going to find out what I'm dieing to know is the pure potential of the strato-port or is it all just to clean up the emissions?

Cool project! :cheers:

Yup!

What I was thinking!

Your going to find out what I'm dieing to know is the pure potential of the strato-port or is it all just to clean up the emissions?

Cool project! :cheers:

I think it's really just more intimidating than it is punishing. It's not what we're used to, so we're scared of it. In sounds like, the only difference is the extra air to push out the exhaust rather than fuel/air mix. So the extra butterfly, pockets in the piston, and extra ports look confusing. Ignore that, and it's the same old ballgame. We'll find out tonight. I'm leaving immediately after work and will be making the comparison video down at Andy's place. You coming up Mike?:)

I think it's really just more intimidating than it is punishing. It's not what we're used to, so we're scared of it. In sounds like, the only difference is the extra air to push out the exhaust rather than fuel/air mix. So the extra butterfly, pockets in the piston, and extra ports look confusing. Ignore that, and it's the same old ballgame. We'll find out tonight. I'm leaving immediately after work and will be making the comparison video down at Andy's place. You coming up Mike?:)

Back in the day, Honda had a 3rd valve in there Civic engine. It had it's own carb port and everything.

Took me for a spin to figure it out.

Mentioning it here as it was just the opposite, that 3rd valve and carb port ran pig-fat rich! It function in life was to fatten up the compression/mix right next to the plug to fire the rest of the mix as it was boarder-line lean.

They ran like a top with set up right, 50 MPG was easy with 4 people cramped inside them.

When I seen them was after someone disabled the 3rd port at the first sign of a drive-ability problems,,,, and that's when the problems really started.

Looking forward to the vid Brad!

Thanks!

:cheers:

Thanks!

I've got myself setup for either great success OR great failure!:dizzy: But I've always been an open book. Why change now? If I was smart, lol, I'd wait until I had known good gains before showing anything. But that's just not my style. Good or bad, you guys get to see inside this baby.

I've got myself setup for either great success OR great failure!:dizzy: But I've always been an open book. Why change now? If I was smart, lol, I'd wait until I had known good gains before showing anything. But that's just not my style. Good or bad, you guys get to see inside this baby.

We're rooting for ya! Remember what they say, no guts, no glory. :popcorn:

I'm leaving immediately after work and will be making the comparison video down at Andy's place. You coming up Mike?:)

By the time I broke out of the salt mine and got up there, it would be over, and time to come back and prepare for the next day of salt mining!!!LOL

But MAN how I wish I could be there for the "trials"!

Mike

Back in the day, Honda had a 3rd valve in there Civic engine. It had it's own carb port and everything.

Took me for a spin to figure it out.

Mentioning it here as it was just the opposite, that 3rd valve and carb port ran pig-fat rich! It function in life was to fatten up the compression/mix right next to the plug to fire the rest of the mix as it was boarder-line lean.

They ran like a top with set up right, 50 MPG was easy with 4 people cramped inside them.

When I seen them was after someone disabled the 3rd port at the first sign of a drive-ability problems,,,, and that's when the problems really started.

Thanks!

Yaya, my dad rebuilt one of those honda engines back in the day. I showed him the pictures of this 362 and that honda was one of the first things he mentioned.

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=2742473104102029339&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

Its the final countdown! I have faith in ya Brad.

Kudos to your style!

That's pure class!

After first hand word-of-mouth accounts about your work one could expect nothing less!

Your work proceeds your post(s) , there is not a higher accomplishment!

I'll second that on the Echo dino-based oil. We had two cases left over at the shop from a sales promotion. The company didn't want it so I ran it in the woods on a thinning job. It did very well and burned clean.

That's good to hear, the Echo oil around here is a good price, I almost switched to it this year when I couldn't find a local dealer for Amsoil, but I found a guy close by.

I'm understanding what you're saying now. However, the fresh air ports are below the transfers. That would put the fresh air after the charge, correct?

706403360_dUZTA-L.jpg

I posted this on page four.

"Before I started work on my 455 I undid the linkage of the strato port to see what would happen when running WOT. The factory max rich setting on the H screw is 2.5 turns out and when the linkage was undone It would only get up to about 9K all the way to 1/2 a turn out. I started it at 2.5 and turned it in a little at a time checking it until I got to a 1/2 turn. It was still WAY rich then, so I realized it needs the extra strato air in the combustion."

By linkage I mean the butterfly that opens the strato port linkage.

What I'm thinking is that the EPA is after controlling unburnt hydrocarbons emmisions, by the addition of extra air from the strato ports it casues a more efficient burn of the mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back