Interesting different oil/ratio observation today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with castor in snowmobiles is that it drops out of suspension very easily in the cold. I never new of anyone to use it in sleds, but I wasn't racing in the 70's.
Techniplate has no castor in it and was/is used in sleds commonly.
The majority of castor or castor blend oil usage was within the racing sector & limited to Professional factory or Factory Sponsored Independant's . When i was running with Polaris's Midnite Express in the mid 70's, Quaker State blended our Racing Oil & Sunoco provided our fuel to the Polaris factory Engineer's specifications . Quaker State & Sunoco's chemists met at Roseau Minnesota's head office annually . Very few recreational or Dealer sponsored independant racers utilized castors . As far as falling out of suspension , that never occurred since it was mixed in small batchs in the 60' heated race trailers & our race sleds usually ran 2.5 to 3 usg . plastic fuel tanks that remained well mixed during the rigors of competition . Sleds were always stored inside these heated hauler / workshop on wheels overnite with dedicated security . Lots of downsides of castor usage which really rules it out today as a viable 2T oil .

The majority of castor or castor blend oil usage was within the racing sector & limited to Professional factory or Factory Sponsored Independant's . When i was running with Polaris's Midnite Express in the mid 70's, Quaker State blended our Racing Oil & Sunoco provided our fuel to the Polaris factory Engineer's specifications . Quaker State & Sunoco's chemists met at Roseau Minnesota's head office annually . Very few recreation or Dealer sponsored racers utilized castors . As far as falling out of suspension , that never occurred since it was mixed in small batchs in the 60' heated race trailers & our race sleds usually ran 2.5 to 3 usg . plastic fuel tanks that remained well mixed during the rigors of competition . Sleds were always stored inside these heated hauler / workshop on wheels overnite with dedicated security . Lots of downsides of castor usage which really rules it out today as a viable 2T oil .
Those where the days when the factory race times had a decent budget.

Those where the days when the factory race times had a decent budget.
Definately was the hay day of short track in the 70 's . Eagle River Wisc. Rhinlander Wisc. & Kawartha Cup in Peterbough & Ironwood in Michigan were the Professional Events that all the factorys sent 4-6 driver teams to compete . Enduro races such as Winnipeg to St. Paul Minn. & Sault Michigan I-500 were the two Pro level 500 mile Events . In the 80's the factorys withdrew from racing when Don Omhadahl was serious lnjured in Rhinelander in 1978 , never to race again . Jerry Bunke died at Beausjeau Mantoba then Jim Adema was killed in Ironwood in the Inagural Sno-Pro Series in 1980 . My associate 3 yr contract paid me $30k usd. annually for 3 mths work , not bad back then since i was a young steamfitter in my 20's working construction 6 mths seasonally lol . However , with a few more friends killed a few yrs later i retired in 84 from active racing , just prior to snowcross hitting the scene . I later managed a few Snowcross & Drag sled teams , which Techniplate sponsored one for a few seasons .I got into Amsoil back then since they were an active associate sponsor of their then Synthetic 2T racing oil . I never used Castor recreationally other than once in my lawnboy D- Series mower . Ran & smelled great , but it really fouled the muffler quick lol. Only experience i ever had with a castor in recreational application , real bad choice !

Exactly , ledgendary protection lol. Castor bonds to local hot spots instananously preventing galling between metal to metal surfaces . In extreme service , back in the day this ensured reliable performance short term but at a cost of religious tear downs for required cleaning of piston crowns & rings , cylinder heads & exhaust ports . The only things i miss from the castor oil days is the aroma of castor & racing fuel on a Saturday afternoon at the track !
Yes we use it in old model airplane engine good protection BUT is does build up a hard coating that must be cleaned Amen

THE 50:1 IS RICHER (more fuel/oil= more fuel/air) than the 45:1, as many have stated on various boards; the question then becomes "is the 50:1 too rich, or the 45:1 too lean", especially to a point that would cause eventual damage??? And you noted this with JUST a 5-point(+/-) difference. Interesting to prove/ disprove the point would be to switch, get the new fuel mix to carb, then retune, Noting HOW MUCH ADJUSTMENT required? (1/16, 1/8, 1/4-turn?) Certainly less than 1/4? Thanks for the experiment and feedback to group.
Andy (Lakeside on here) used to say that, that more oil meant a leaner air/fuel mixture. A retired engineer who became a licensed Stihl tech, main guru on this site fifteen years ago. I believed him, though some people said that was just what Stihl said to promote 50:1 for smog purposes. I recall once I shared that bit of info on another oil thread here, and some guy took offense, to the point of suggesting (via abbreviation, of course) that he wanted me to perform a vulgar procedure upon a certain part of his person. Poor fellow. I suggested he might have better luck with that on a different kind of forum. Yeesh.

I believe that the new 50:1 is so good it can be used in 32:1 machines. What I do not understand is why Stihl would make a premium synthetic oil that is not top notch in lube and detergency. It's Stihl, for gosh sakes. I really don't get that.

Don't see an actual Jaso Certification label on the bottle Jake . I would presume more likely an actual very good FC oil .
I also cannot understand why Sthil does not improve its oil? Probably ok under ideal conditions but not under severe heavy hot loads .
After 2 quarts of Sthil moto mix I switched to Amsoil Saber 50 :1 using ethanol free Alky 92 octane True Fuel.
Expensive but I do not use a lot of fuel in my New MS 170 Stihl.

Mike

THE 50:1 IS RICHER (more fuel/oil= more fuel/air) than the 45:1, as many have stated on various boards; the question then becomes "is the 50:1 too rich, or the 45:1 too lean", especially to a point that would cause eventual damage??? And you noted this with JUST a 5-point(+/-) difference. Interesting to prove/ disprove the point would be to switch, get the new fuel mix to carb, then retune, Noting HOW MUCH ADJUSTMENT required? (1/16, 1/8, 1/4-turn?) Certainly less than 1/4? Thanks for the experiment and feedback to group.
It would all be true if the leaner or richer part of the mixture only applied to the fuel. Normally when speaking of lean versus rich mixture, you are referring to the smaller part of the equation. Adding more of the smaller part makes the mixture richer, no? In my eyes, adding a small percentage of fuel (with the screws) to 14.6 parts of air makes the fuel/air mix richer. Adding more oil to 50 parts of gas makes the mixture richer. Sure, adoing more oil eventually makes the motor run leaner, but anything more is just semantics at that point.

I also cannot understand why Sthil does not improve its oil? Probably ok under ideal conditions but not under severe heavy hot loads .
After 2 quarts of Sthil moto mix I switched to Amsoil Saber 50 :1 using ethanol free Alky 92 octane True Fuel.
Expensive but I do not use a lot of fuel in my New MS 170 Stihl.

Mike
I never buy Saw Manufacturer based oil products . Husquarna sells an adequate oil but get their $ adder . Stihl sells a 2T "Premium" product actually Manufacturered by Castrol up North here , good product . Stay away from Ultra lol , Echo Powerblend is also a good product . However Amsoil Saber , Interceptor & Dominator have passed all my application usages at the best preferred customer $ price point . I really am impressed with Red Armor though lately & use it in all my high priced 2T premix application toys , as long as the pricing remains competitive ($14 cdn.) . Shockingly there are some 2T oils on the market here @ $38-$40 cdn. a quart . Not happening , ever !

It would all be true if the leaner or richer part of the mixture only applied to the fuel. Normally when speaking of lean versus rich mixture, you are referring to the smaller part of the equation. Adding more of the smaller part makes the mixture richer, no? In my eyes, adding a small percentage of fuel (with the screws) to 14.6 parts of air makes the fuel/air mix richer. Adding more oil to 50 parts of gas makes the mixture richer. Sure, adoing more oil eventually makes the motor run leaner, but anything more is just semantics at that point.
Air to fuel ratio is the primary concern , fuel ratio cools the saw . More oil increases compression sealing & potential improved power . Proper oil helps maintain engine cleaning within increased oil ratios within the combustion process , rather than cause fouling of the piston & rings & exhaust ports . Proper tuning goes a long way within ensuring performance & engine longitivity during routine daily cutting !

I never buy Saw Manufacturer based oil products . Husquarna sells an adequate oil but get their $ adder . Stihl sells a 2T "Premium" product actually Manufacturered by Castrol up North here , good product . Stay away from Ultra lol , Echo Powerblend is also a good product . However Amsoil Saber , Interceptor & Dominator have passed all my application usages at the best preferred customer $ price point . I really am impressed with Red Armor though lately & use it in all my high priced 2T premix application toys , as long as the pricing remains competitive ($14 cdn.) . Shockingly there are some 2T oils on the market here @ $38-$40 cdn. a quart . Not happening , ever !
I bought a case of Red Armor after reading several oil threads, and a saw builder convinced me of it. I guess I'll keep the Ultra for the 4 mix weed eater.

I bought a case of Red Armor after reading several oil threads, and a saw builder convinced me of it. I guess I'll keep the Ultra for the 4 mix weed eater.
Yep , thats what Ultra was designed for , however even there it causes deposits on the 4 mix valve train . I have my Son's 4 mix Stihl powerbroom . We use Stihl Premium (white bottle) a Castrol manufactured product which runs very clean .

Yep , thats what Ultra was designed for , however even there it causes deposits on the 4 mix valve train . I have my Son's 4 mix Stihl powerbroom . We use Stihl Premium (white bottle) a Castrol manufactured product which runs very clean .
I would like to try the white bottle sometime but it isn't available here in the states.

Stihl seemed to make a big mistake with their motomix. With all the complaints about it why would anyone even use it in a high dollar saw, or any saw for that matter. I've used the regular HP (also Castrol) oil for many years and never had a problem with it. Never fouled a plug or had a carbon build up problem running at 40:1, even running air mixture on the rich side. 460/038mag/028WB/310/290 & 181C also use it in 455 Husky. I have also used in my older Homelites, Poulons & Echos and a few clones. WHAT GIVES STIHL? Are you trying to make your saws die young? Planned obsolescence faster? I just don't get it.

Latest posts

Back